The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #4,786 of 7,138
These good with stuff like electronic(mainly synthesizer and close to no bass, look up animal collective) and rock(Radiohead and other indie rock bands). Would you recommend the LCD-2 for this?

What happened to your Stax plan? 
tongue_smile.gif
People told me the LCD-2 would be better for me.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #4,788 of 7,138
  Initially it was the Omegas I acquired not too long ago but they need an amp such as the BHSE capable of pushing lots of power to have the Omega's shine. Since I don't have that kind of money yet for a BHSE I may consider parting from my Omega's and buying a Lampizator dac.

My audio nirvana is not a single setup and is not expensive as it's quite low-end stuff. All the stuff you see in my profile are part of my audio nirvana. I can't say I will ever be happy with 1 single setup only (even if I owned a HE90 or 009) no headphone can do every genre well such a thing does not exist. So I have multiple individual setups connected to various sources for me to enjoy the most of every type of music/genre I listen to and depending on the mood I am in as well. What you see in my profile is 1/3 of what I actually own now which I just could nay be f'd updating. But right now I'm in the midst of collecting Stax and Sony gear. Rare unobtaniums.

When I do have enough money a proper place of my own, I will part with everything I have and move onto a speaker setup. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #4,789 of 7,138
What?

Anyway on topic. Purchased up a vintage Marantz PM-32 integrated amp off a chap from Perth (another state) off ebay, $35 + 25 postage one channel was dead supposedly. Came just yesterday, removed the cover and surprised by the quality components used for a 20 + year old amp, Japanese motorised ALP's input selector, ELNA Silmic and audio caps laied all over, this thing is pretty impressive as it was featured as a mid level integrated amp with a hp out back in the 80's.

Powered her up and used my HD600's as the test subject. Dammmnnnn, the sound is really impressive, has dials for treble and bass which is one thing I really like and wish more conventional head amp's had. Gave her a test today again and decided to see if my LCD2 rev.1's sounded any good as my last experience with another similar vintage amp was a JVC one from the 70's and it also had a hp out and my LCD2's sounded good too. Have adjusted the dials on the amp +1db on bass and +1.5 - 2db's on treble, really has brought out the sound and the laid back signature of the rev.1's. The pairing has great PRaT and I tapping my foot away to a few metal, electronic and rap songs and was deeply engaged with a few of my favourite classical concertos, all this was run off my rockboxed Toshiba Gigabeat, no DAC just pure 320kbp mp3's and 956kbp avg FLAC's.

The Marantz sound is quite neutral and deep sounding, this pairing has so far left me in the wonder of why the heck would one want to spend thousands of dollars when an amp that use to cost $400-500 back in the 80's sound just as good, some aspects even better. Heck I told the seller that both channels worked fine, bit saddened that I picked up a great bargain he applauded me on a great buy. I definitely agree with this one. So far the Marantz w/ my modded LCD2's using 5ft of my own made balanced Crystal Piccolino cable by Crystal Cables has knocked off all the b22 config/build pairings, sounds better than then any of the Burson range I've tried, better than my V100 and the other Violectrics I've extensively compared and a few DIY solid state/discrete designs I've played with. Will be modding this baby with some nice looking blue lit VU meters (to match the old Sansui power amp look), add some side wood guards to give it that nice Sony X555ES CDP look, recap some of the already good caps to the latest rfs Silmic II's. Final thought is that I'm very happy with this purchase. I wouldn't even look at other solid state options now that I have this.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #4,790 of 7,138
Which only goes to prove what I've been saying for years, that a good quality integrated will drive most phones as well as your expensive dedicated amp, but with the option of tone controls and, in the later models, remote. Congratulations on a great purchase.

I drive my DT880s with a Marantz SR4200 receiver and get great results.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #4,795 of 7,138
Quote:
Which only goes to prove what I've been saying for years, that a good quality integrated will drive most phones as well as your expensive dedicated amp, but with the option of tone controls and, in the later models, remote. Congratulations on a great purchase.

I drive my DT880s with a Marantz SR4200 receiver and get great results.

Indeed, the only thing I really dislike about old integrated amps is the size and look. Most of them are ugly that are cheap and ones that look good are expensive. I really like some of the old Sansui, Maratnz and McIntosh receivers/integrated amp's with the blue/green lit vu meters and glass/clear acrylic fascia's. 
Quote:
These headphones seem like they're tuned for metal cos Meshuggah sounds insanely apocalyptic on them.

Indeed, they match Meshuggah really really well because it just sounds like it really is pounding into your ears.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4,796 of 7,138
Quote:
Indeed, the only thing I really dislike about old integrated amps is the size and look. Most of them are ugly that are cheap and ones that look good are expensive. I really like some of the old Sansui, Maratnz and McIntosh receivers/integrated amp's with the blue/green lit vu meters and glass/clear acrylic fascia's. 
Indeed, they match Meshuggah really really well because it just sounds like it really is pounding into your ears.

Yeah, I think I have found my perfect headphone 
L3000.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4,797 of 7,138
Quote:
Can anyone suggest a relatively cheap integrated amp that will drive the LCD 2'S?

How about an early 80s ~ receiver? I've had excellent results with a couple of different Pioneers -- currently use a SX-650 (45 wpc) .... I have to admit it beats two out of three of my dedicated headphone amps!

I've not looked recently, but such a model is surely under $200 used, possibly half that.

I guess when I hear "cheap", my thoughts go to old receivers first ... not "relatively cheap" new gear (which doesn't sound so good - particularly paired with such a nice 'phone).

beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #4,798 of 7,138
Quote:

How about an early 80s ~ receiver? I've had excellent results with a couple of different Pioneers -- currently use a SX-650 (45 wpc) .... I have to admit it beats two out of three of my dedicated headphone amps!

I've not looked recently, but such a model is surely under $200 used, possibly half that.

I guess when I hear "cheap", my thoughts go to old receivers first ... not "relatively cheap" new gear (which doesn't sound so good - particularly paired with such a nice 'phone).

beerchug.gif

Yeah, I'm looking on ebay for some cheap vintage amps. There's not a lot of info on them though.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #4,799 of 7,138
See word of mouth when one person makes a recommendation, it grabs everybody else's attention. LOL

Get yourself a vintage Marantz integrated amp or receiver. The old JVC, Sony's and Pioneers don't live up to some of the good old Marantz out there.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #4,800 of 7,138
Quote:
See word of mouth when one person makes a recommendation, it grabs everybody else's attention. LOL

Get yourself a vintage Marantz integrated amp or receiver. The old JVC, Sony's and Pioneers don't live up to some of the good old Marantz out there.

Is the Marantz PM 50 any good? There's one close to where I work currently at $49 on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back