The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #4,771 of 7,138
Quote:
There's your problem right there. Sorry, but while the LCD-2s sounded quite good with the Lyr, it failed to really bring out the LCD-3s. Trust me, the LCD-3s can do so much more! FWIW, I owned the LCD-2/LCD-3 and the Lyr (with several top notch tubes) at the same time. However I quickly sold off the  LCD-2/Lyr after the LCD-3s arrived.

I borrow this LYR from time to time.
It didn't make the LCD-3 sound stellar or anything, so i'd guess that it's the amp.

I'll see if i can get something more high end.
At least a Mjolnir or Conductor.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4,772 of 7,138
Quote:
I borrow this LYR from time to time.
It didn't make the LCD-3 sound stellar or anything, so i'd guess that it's the amp.

I'll see if i can get something more high end.
At least a Mjolnir or Conductor.

Much better choices. 
size]

I had a similar reaction with the Lyr. It just seemed that it couldn't keep up with the LCD-3s and work with them. But the WA22 (with the right tubes), Liquid Fire and especially the GS-X have really brought out the best in them. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #4,774 of 7,138
Quote:
I think the Mjonir will honestly be an end game amp for the LCD series (for solid state only) for most people who are on a strict near $1k budget.

While a great choice to drive the LCD-3s, there are better still. But still a great option no doubt.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #4,775 of 7,138
My budget is $1000 for an amplifier.

Mjolnir is around that price, so it's a good choice, unless i can find something better suited for under $1200.
Mainly interested in using it's balance headphone output.
I've used 1/4" all my life, and am curious if the XLR's would have a quieter background.

Tim

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4,776 of 7,138
Quote:
Yeah I wasn't talking about how real instruments sound on either of the headphone but just asserting my point to which you said the soundstage on the HD800 is too wide which don't portray the true nature of the recording. Aside from how well you might like the rendering of instruments on the LCD2's, it still has it's flaws and restrictions. But trust me if you ever have the chance and I hate to sound like an HD800 fanboi (which I'm not), run them puppies on a very good DAC linked to a good amp (I prefer tubes) and listen to some 24bit piano sonata or so and you will fall in love with the sound as piano sound reproduction is probably one of the hardest to get right for external transducers to reproduce be it speakers or headphones other than hearing the thing live in front of you.

You may well be right.  It's also worth nothing I'm on record has having issue with piano in particular on the LCD-2.  I decided with some finality that what I was hearing was a damping issue, but I'm still amazed it does not affect any other sound or instrument that I can hear.  Where they are sitting on the head seems to affect this pretty strongly too so the pads are likely a major contributor here.  The same material played back on the Beyer DT880s I bought to replace the fallen K701s sounds fine with no abnormalities.

There is no such thing as perfect.  The things the LCD-2 does well it does strikingly well.  I do feel that for the cost I have to cherry pick the material I listen to on them maybe a bit too much to play to it's strengths, but that material is immensely enjoyable when I do so and ultimately that's all that matters.  When the gear buying tea tins are filled again an HD800 will probably be on the agenda to round out the experience.  I'm amazed at how people seem to act like the LCD-2 and the HD800 need to be mutually exclusive things to each other when they complement each other so perfectly.  If you own both you are pretty close to having the best of both worlds.

Given a few more years of refinement it's also possible that Audeze will evolve the LCD-3 (maybe into the LCD-4) enough that it will "the one" headphone you need to own, but until then it's not like we don't have great options on the table right now.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #4,777 of 7,138
Quote:
While a great choice to drive the LCD-3s, there are better still. But still a great option no doubt.

Yeah as I said for someone who wants something already made, less than $1k and is solid state the Mjonir is hard to avoid.

Quote:
My budget is $1000 for an amplifier.

Mjolnir is around that price, so it's a good choice, unless i can find something better suited for under $1200.
Mainly interested in using it's balance headphone output.
I've used 1/4" all my life, and am curious if the XLR's would have a quieter background.

Tim

Running XLR cable with your headphones while having analogue input source is not the true definition of running balanced each signal needs to be isolated. You need to have balanced DAC XLR to the Mojonir's XLR input and then XLR (4 pin or dual 3 pin) to your headphones.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #4,778 of 7,138
Quote:

Running XLR cable with your headphones while having analogue input source is not the true definition of running balanced each signal needs to be isolated. You need to have balanced DAC XLR to the Mojonir's XLR input and then XLR (4 pin or dual 3 pin) to your headphones.

I got it, finally ! DQ, thanks for the clarification.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #4,779 of 7,138

Yeah i know haha, i make cables.

About to try and grab the gungnir/mjolnir and see how they fair with the LCD-3.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #4,782 of 7,138
These good with stuff like electronic(mainly synthesizer and close to no bass, look up animal collective) and rock(Radiohead and other indie rock bands). Would you recommend the LCD-2 for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back