The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #4,563 of 7,138
The D7000 has sub bass basically all the time, where the LCD2 has it when it's called for.

The reason for this is right here methinks:

Quote:
Subjectively D5000s have a LOT more sub-bass, though. This is mainly because 1) there's a ton more sub-bass harmonic distortion with D5000 so all of that adds on top of the base sound, and 2) there is a significant upward tilt toward the lower~sub-bass, meaning it is in fact emphasized.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #4,565 of 7,138
Quote:
I still think you get quality in spades. My Lawton was the only near 1k headphone out of several offerings that combined a nice rich impactful bass that was still very clean and tight sounding. The mids and treble are where I think headphones like the lcd 2, t1, he-500,and he-6 really have an advantage over the denon/fostex line. If you own any of those 4 headphones I have to say you are more of a mid/treble connoisseur than a bass connoisseur. The mids are def. the reason I chose to stick with the lcd 2 as I felt at least with electronic it did just as good a job as a $500 more hd-800. Treble def. goes to the hd-800 but after modding I think the bass of my lcd-2 now gives the 800's bass a real run for it's money.

First time I am seeing a reference to modding the LCD 2. Can you tell me what you did ?

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #4,566 of 7,138
Quote:
+1. I also think it's hilarious that all these so called bass connoisseur's have headphones with no bass.

Unless somebody here has mentioned the Jades or K1000s, I don't think that applies here.  

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4,570 of 7,138
What kind of amps were you pushing all these cans with? If it's not up to par with more power hungry headphones (ie. Most of them above 1k to some extent) it doesn't surprise me that the D7000 and Sig Pro (easy to drive cans) are your favorites.

There's absolutely no lack of extension is ANY of the headphones mentioned here lately. Quantity is a preference, but they're not rolled off, either. Especially the LCD 2. Why would bass connisseurs (I consider myself one as it's the first thing I listen for to change and the thing that HAS to be right) not want bass ACCURACY over a mid bass hump?

Quote:
I haven't heard the jades or k1000's. I just think allot of headphones at the 1k plus level don't have enough impact or don't reach deep enough to really be considered bass connoisseur. To me their perfection lies in their mids and treble. Bass accuracy isn't everything especially if the impact is weak, at least to me. The only 1k cans I have tried that really do bass clean and tight with plenty of impact is a ultrasone sig pro, and denon d7k with anglepads and tune and that's out of 8 different 1k headphones. The fostex 1 and 2k's I haven't tried but love their drivers I have tried for their bass. As far as the lcd-2 goes it's def. a mid connoisseur's headphone not bass imo. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #4,572 of 7,138
It's leaking sounding because it is not completely sealed around your ear. Closed back is just referring to the back wooden housing being a closed chamber cup rather than open. Another reason as for sound leaking is if you have the sound loud enough it is resonating off the wooden cups on them. The LCD2's leak sound, you can use them as speakers without even having the volume on loud.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #4,574 of 7,138
  It's leaking sounding because it is not completely sealed around your ear. Closed back is just referring to the back wooden housing being a closed chamber cup rather than open. Another reason as for sound leaking is if you have the sound loud enough it is resonating off the wooden cups on them. The LCD2's leak sound, you can use them as speakers without even having the volume on loud.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #4,575 of 7,138
Talking about genre, it's interesting to me that more people don't like classical out of LCDs. I find their natural sound makes them ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back