The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 4, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #4,381 of 7,138
Quote:
I have owned both the lcd-2 (2.2) and hd-650

hd650 is more comfortable hands down. wish I still had mine-they were broken in perfectly and sometimes i didnt even realize they were on my head

in my opinion, lcd-2 is better in ever way sound wise both technically and subjectively (by most people)

however, they have different sound signatures. hd650 being open, airy and the lcd2 with the ortho sound sig

because they are both dark headphones, they sound similar in some ways, yet sound different

although lcd-2 is better, you might prefer the hd650 because of its sound signature and comfort

hd650 has a good midbass hump; lcd2 has flat bass response throughout and it can go much lower

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Also, I've always thought that the HE500's are more of a natural upgrade to the 650's (if you really like the 650's sound, balance, air etc) as they are similar, only improved in all areas. The LCD2's as stated, are more contrasting in signature.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #4,382 of 7,138
I have owned both the lcd-2 (2.2) and hd-650

hd650 is more comfortable hands down. wish I still had mine-they were broken in perfectly and sometimes i didnt even realize they were on my head

in my opinion, lcd-2 is better in ever way sound wise both technically and subjectively (by most people)

however, they have different sound signatures. hd650 being open, airy and the lcd2 with the ortho sound sig

because they are both dark headphones, they sound similar in some ways, yet sound different

although lcd-2 is better, you might prefer the hd650 because of its sound signature and comfort

hd650 has a good midbass hump; lcd2 has flat bass response throughout and it can go much lower

HD650's open and airy? Not any I have heard or owned, and I have owned 2 pairs.

As regards comfort, as my LCD2.2's have very soft pads and little clamping I find then far more comfortable than most HD650's I have tried and better than the 2 pairs I owned. The HD650's suffered from greater clamping and harder pads. The weight of the LCD's does not bother me at all.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #4,384 of 7,138
Both the LCD2 and HD650 can be bent for less clamp, so I don't see that ever being an issue. A bit tricky with the 650 as you have to bend only the metal extension pieces, not the plastic.

Honestly, the 650 is much more comfy overall. Velour, lightweight, and the oval pads make it easier to lay down with. Too bad it's not the LCD2 in sound though.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #4,385 of 7,138
Harder clamping and hard pads? That doesn't sound like the HD650 at all unless you have a big noggin.

Harder pads than my LCD2'2's yes absolutely but not 'hard' as such just harder.

I think I got very lucky with my LCd2.2's with regards comfort. I had the 2.1's previously and they clamped a lot more and had much firmer pads. I would say that the HD650's were more comfortable than those but the 2.2's are very comfortable and more so than the HD650's.

I kept thinking that I may have been sent the LCD3's by mistake but no such luck. :D

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #4,386 of 7,138
HD650's open and airy? Not any I have heard or owned, and I have owned 2 pairs.

As regards comfort, as my LCD2.2's have very soft pads and little clamping I find then far more comfortable than most HD650's I have tried and better than the 2 pairs I owned. The HD650's suffered from greater clamping and harder pads. The weight of the LCD's does not bother me at all.

what headphones have you directly compared you have you compared your hd600 and 650 to ?

I directly compared mine extensively with the he-500 and there is a stark contract in sound signature

hd650/600 were definitely more "airy" ; to my ears atleast.

not sure of what other word you could use to describe the sennheiser sound signature on the hd600/650

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #4,387 of 7,138
To my ears the HD 650's are way more congested than my LCD-2 rev 3s

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #4,389 of 7,138

+2

I'm actually surprised by this. Neither are very open sounding headphones, but I feel the LCD2 is more 3 dimensional, especially in depth which is a strength in the LCD2.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #4,390 of 7,138
what headphones have you directly compared you have you compared your hd600 and 650 to ?

I directly compared mine extensively with the he-500 and there is a stark contract in sound signature

hd650/600 were definitely more "airy" ; to my ears atleast.

not sure of what other word you could use to describe the sennheiser sound signature on the hd600/650

To me 'airy' is an high frequency attribute, you can't have airy bass or midrange. The distinct lack of hf extension and presence in the hf range of an normal HD650's cannot possibly give you an airy sound IMO.
A none 'normal' HD650's, and by that I mean it's sound signature highly manipulated by source/amp, could I suppose give an airy sound but I have yet to hear it.

I have not heard the HE500 but every phone I have heard or owned has an airier sound than the HD650's because they all have more treble extension and presence. Even the LCD2.2's have an airier sound, even though I would not call then airy, due to having more treble.

You say you have compared then to the HE500, well I don't think I have ever heard then called airy either although I have not heard then so they might well be but if you want to hear an 'airy' sound try the AKG K702's :wink:

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #4,391 of 7,138
To me 'airy' is an high frequency attribute, you can't have airy bass or midrange. The distinct lack of hf extension and presence in the hf range of an normal HD650's cannot possibly give you an airy sound IMO.
A none 'normal' HD650's, and by that I mean it's sound signature highly manipulated by source/amp, could I suppose give an airy sound but I have yet to hear it.

I have not heard the HE500 but every phone I have heard or owned has an airier sound than the HD650's because they all have more treble extension and presence. Even the LCD2.2's have an airier sound, even though I would not call then airy, due to having more treble.

You say you have compared then to the HE500, well I don't think I have ever heard then called airy either although I have not heard then so they might well be but if you want to hear an 'airy' sound try the AKG K702's :wink:

well if the definition of "airy" is treble extension, then the hd650 is not airy.

"airy" is just my way of describing how I heard the hd650 sound signature vs the he500. I really don't know of any other word I can use to describe it, but certainly I do not mean high frequencies.

hd600 has more high frequency/extension than the hd650, but they both have similar sound signature which sounds "ariy" to me

sorry for lack of a better term for describing it. I suppose airy isnt the best word to use

I found hd650 to have narrower soundstage than he500 (hd650 soundstage had more depth though)

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #4,392 of 7,138

Mad Lust Envy
Just my thought, I think that it is very evident with some of the best recordings, it is my experience with them.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #4,393 of 7,138
Quote:
Harder pads than my LCD2'2's yes absolutely but not 'hard' as such just harder.

I think I got very lucky with my LCd2.2's with regards comfort. I had the 2.1's previously and they clamped a lot more and had much firmer pads. I would say that the HD650's were more comfortable than those but the 2.2's are very comfortable and more so than the HD650's.

I kept thinking that I may have been sent the LCD3's by mistake but no such luck.
biggrin.gif

They must've updated there pads a bit or maybe it's just a new pad. I've never worn an HD650 where it had new earpads installed. So that's saying something. 

Quote:
To my ears the HD 650's are way more congested than my LCD-2 rev 3s

I wouldn't say congested but you have distinguish which iteration of the HD650 you are listening and comparing with. Sennheiser updated the driver filters in the capsule housing for there 580/600 and 650 models in 2007. The older 650 was very dark sounding and veiled sounding. The HD650's are known for not being congested at all even though there soundstage is quite limited to just a narrow auditorium, the LCD2's still take the cake of laid back, warm and dark. You can easily bring out the treble and highs from the 650 by using proper amplification, one of the few can's that takes complete advantage of amplification offering a night and day difference depending on what you throw at it. 

Quote:
well if the definition of "airy" is treble extension, then the hd650 is not airy.

"airy" is just my way of describing how I heard the hd650 sound signature vs the he500. I really don't know of any other word I can use to describe it, but certainly I do not mean high frequencies.

hd600 has more high frequency/extension than the hd650, but they both have similar sound signature which sounds "ariy" to me

sorry for lack of a better term for describing it. I suppose airy isnt the best word to use

I found hd650 to have narrower soundstage than he500 (hd650 soundstage had more depth though)

Yep and that is why for classical, orchestra and jazz genre music, the H580/600/650 does heaps better than either of the HE-500 or LCD2's. The 650 are technically perfect but they have a special enticing sound to listen to, i.e. with good source it draws the listener in. I know it did when I first heard back when I registered here on a RWA Isabilina amp.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #4,394 of 7,138
Lurker here. Sorry to interrupt the flow of conversation but

YAY. I received my shipment notification. My LCD-2s are on their way!

Side note. The official Audeze website has a new layout andddddddddddddddddddddddd the more important news is that they upped the price of the LCD-2s to $1145.
frown.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #4,395 of 7,138
Lurker here. Sorry to interrupt the flow of conversation but

YAY. I received my shipment notification. My LCD-2s are on their way!

Side note. The official Audeze website has a new layout andddddddddddddddddddddddd the more important news is that they upped the price of the LCD-2s to $1145.:frowning2:

Congrats!I have really been enjoying mine.
That's crazy about the price, I'm sure glad to have gotten then before the price hike.

On a side note, I just ordered a Dacmini CX for desktop use to pair with the LCD. It will be good to have a proper amp/dac to let these breathe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back