The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jan 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #3,931 of 7,138
Quote:
I believe it was the HE-5s. 

Indeed it was, original post correct. The LE's were a slight revision upgrade to the original 5's.
size]

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3,932 of 7,138
Quote:
Indeed it was, original post correct. The LE's were a slight revision upgrade to the original 5's.
size]

And the wood was removed with the LEs.

Too bad about the Rosewood. I love their looks on the LCD-2s. Looks like the Bamboo and Zebrano are the mechanically more reliable solutions for Audeze.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #3,933 of 7,138
And another example of why HiFiMAN went plastic and Stax uses metal.

HiFiMAN makes nice headphones, but the quality of materials doesn't compare to Audeze. I don't like the thinly padded headband or the cheap ear pads. The plastic cups are fine, but the wood or bamboo seems a lot classier (if a bit more finicky for the Rosewood). I hear they're upgrading the build quality.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #3,935 of 7,138
Have you worn a Hifiman can before? Thinly padded or not they're much more comfortable (at least to me) than the LCD series due to weight distribution and no 'point' pressure.

While I did find the original foam LCD 2 headband more comfortable as far as I know it's no longer available. The Leather band has the same issues that the K702 does. 

Quote:
HiFiMAN makes nice headphones, but the quality of materials doesn't compare to Audeze. I don't like the thinly padded headband or the cheap ear pads. The plastic cups are fine, but the wood or bamboo seems a lot classier (if a bit more finicky for the Rosewood). I hear they're upgrading the build quality.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #3,936 of 7,138
:blink:

What you talken about Willis?

MVKI is a great amp for it's intended headphone group (K1000 + 300ohm headphones). The price just makes it silly to choose the WA22 over it. Wish I still had mine now that I'm back into full size headphones. Only sold it because I thought I would stay in IEM land for longer.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,937 of 7,138
Have you worn a Hifiman can before? Thinly padded or not they're much more comfortable (at least to me) than the LCD series due to weight distribution and no 'point' pressure.

While I did find the original foam LCD 2 headband more comfortable as far as I know it's no longer available. The Leather band has the same issues that the K702 does. 

Depends on your head. For me, the Hifiman fit is second only Grado for worst fit ever (among full lines, and high volume models). Add to the fact that the sliders on my HE-6 never stayed in place for me. The person who bought mine had no issues though so who knows. The HE-6 pads would put a lot of pressure on my neck under my ear and it would give me ear and headaches after wearing them for a while. This is why when I started wanting an ortho, the only option was LCD-2 since I would not buy another Hifiman despite perhaps being a better spectrum balance or better price/performance.

The Audeze fit is very good, weight is certainly there, but is distributed well. Not as good as HD800, but no slouch.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #3,938 of 7,138
I guess everyone's different. The HE500 was the most comfy ortho I've worn. I found the HD800 to be very average comfort wise. Definitely no full Paradox, 007, 009, or D7000.

Quote:
Depends on your head. For me, the Hifiman fit is second only Grado for worst fit ever (among full lines, and high volume models). Add to the fact that the sliders on my HE-6 never stayed in place for me. The person who bought mine had no issues though so who knows. The HE-6 pads would put a lot of pressure on my neck under my ear and it would give me ear and headaches after wearing them for a while. This is why when I started wanting an ortho, the only option was LCD-2 since I would not buy another Hifiman despite perhaps being a better spectrum balance or better price/performance.

The Audeze fit is very good, weight is certainly there, but is distributed well. Not as good as HD800, but no slouch.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #3,939 of 7,138
The thing with the Paradox, 007, 009 and D7000, and even LCDs to some extent (especially the LCD3) is that their pads are like pillows. It's soft, but not a firm enough grip to keep the headphones stable. I always feel like they will slip off with the slightest movement. The HD800 pads are soft but not deep so they contact enough to shape themselves to you, but then the structure is right behind them giving you a secure feeling, all while avoiding any pressure points. I prefer a bit of clamp, especially if it can be done without pressure points.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #3,940 of 7,138
Quote:
MVKI is a great amp for it's intended headphone group (K1000 + 300ohm headphones). The price just makes it silly to choose the WA22 over it. Wish I still had mine now that I'm back into full size headphones. Only sold it because I thought I would stay in IEM land for longer.

I do recall remembering you selling it off and yes it is fairly limited with the crowd of headphones that it can drive (say big no to sensitive and low impedence can's), now that you've mentioned it did you enjoy your VI+ back when you had it in your possession?

+1 on the WA22 bit, I honestly don't find the WA22 even attractive sound and price wise compared to the VI+, the looks maybe but I could not tell a single time where the WA22 I listened to sounded better than my VI+.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #3,941 of 7,138
Quote:
Excuse me? I have heard the LCD2's (countless versions of the LCD2's) with almost all the well known commercial and DIY amps available and especially one's people buy here and you can see my profile what I own now so I don't know where you got the Sansa clip example from which I don't even own. That being said the LCD2's are nothing special and fyi if you had read my post that you quoted trying to stir schit up I said it can either sound congested, muffled or too laid back with certain music, never did I say it sounding like that altogether. 
size]

Sorry, but your description is a classic example of someone who has come accustomed to emphasized treble. I can understand statements like that if someone was a/bing the LCD2's with K702/HD800 for example. But objectively speaking and even with a budget amp the LCD2's do not sound congested of muffled. They have absolute clarity with great speration. Warm and laidback yes, but never muffled or congested. I'm not stiring Schit up, but the only reasonable explanation I could come up with is that you must have underpowered them and so the joke about the Sansa..  

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #3,942 of 7,138
oh i wish i could try an LCD2/3 with a darkstar

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #3,943 of 7,138
Quote:
the only reasonable explanation I could come up with is that you must have underpowered them and so the joke about the Sansa..  

You're saying that a B22, RWA Audeze Edition, V100/200/181 (and a few others) are underpowering the LCD2's? The LCD2's can be powered with ease using a Cmoy single 9v amp, powering them comfortably to their best is another question. I'm not accustomed overhead treble, if I was I would've found my HD800's treble peak extremely bright in most cases which I don't at least with the amps I'm using it out of atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back