The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jun 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,966 of 7,138
Quote:
...does anyone else feel like hot treble (regardless of how much "perceived" detail it creates) is unnatural?

Hot anything is unnatural.  Too much treble, mids, bass can all push an instrument too far up in the mix.  Bass bump is generally less offensive though.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,967 of 7,138
The LCD2's treble has helped me to see the glare in the mids/lower treble/vocals in other phones.  I dig what it does, as it makes for a clean, crisp sound presentation unlike anything else I have.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #1,968 of 7,138
I thought this was an LCD-2 thread? The last 5 pages should be tossed into the memory hole.
On Topic: I'm looking at the new LCD-2 with Rosewood as a compliment to HD800s. I tried an LCD-2 last year that wanted to crush my head. Some people mentioned the pads have changed. Is the new version more comfortable?

Draygonn I got my lcd2 last year abou this time, right before they switched to rev2. The pads are softer and have more give than the new rev bamboos that my buddy brought over last week. His are new pads so maybe they will break in some, but I don't remember my pads being near that firm when I got them.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,969 of 7,138
Quote:
The last 5 pages should be tossed into the memory hole.

beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,971 of 7,138
Quote:
What does this perceived detail phrase even mean?  
confused_face.gif
  It makes no sense.  

Many people seem to believe there is a greater amount of detail rendered by headphones with hotter treble response. This is probably due to higher level detail (cymbal splashes, tea-cup clatters, etc.) being realized primarily in the ten-thousands of the freq. response.  An overshoot on the 30hz has become the prime indicator of a headphone that polarizes headfiers between "sharp" and "crisp".

Kojaku

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,972 of 7,138
Quote:
confused_face.gif
  It makes no sense.  

I usually take it to mean something focuses on little details, emphasizing them, pushing them to the front when they should be subtle, and sometimes creating fake "details" with subtle high frequency distortion like an exciter effect box does.

You can make pretty much anything sound more "detailed" that way because different frequency responses and other similar effects will shift your conscious attention to something different creating the impression of more or new "detail".

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,973 of 7,138
Quote:
confused_face.gif
  It makes no sense.  

Perceived detail, well a lot of people believe that headphones really let them hear MORE. I mean unless you're listening to some horribly muddy cans, it doesn't put more of anything into your music, maybe some stuff just stands out more or you get a cleaner sound.

A lot of people buy into cans and amps because they hope to "unlock" something within a track.

Then theres you know.. artificial bass and stuff like that.

Sorry for the cable derail, I get a bit sensitive sometimes when that comes up. I'll take the blame for that one.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,974 of 7,138
Finally pulled the trigger on some LCD2's.  Now to see what all this talk is about.

Has anyone ordered a pair of the Rosewoods recently?  Was wondering what the actual turn around time was (2 weeks +/-).

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #1,975 of 7,138
Has anyone compared the latest batch of R2s with the older pre-new connector version?

I'm rather tempted to try this latest revision. It's either that or the HD800 but having lived for a good while with the Sennheiser flagship, I'm still not convinced by their house sound yet. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #1,976 of 7,138
I appreciate all the explanations, but I was actually talking about it in terms of semantics.  I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Perceived detail as opposed to what?  

The word perceived can refer to things in reality, as well as things exaggerated in reality, or even things imagined altogether.  Since we're trying to distinguish what's real compared to what's being exaggerated or spotlighted, maybe exaggerated detail or some phrase similar would a better.

Many people seem to believe there is a greater amount of detail rendered by headphones with hotter treble response. This is probably due to higher level detail (cymbal splashes, tea-cup clatters, etc.) being realized primarily in the ten-thousands of the freq. response.  

I get that this is what's being referred to, but the phrase "perceived detail" doesn't mean that.

Quote:

I usually take it to mean something focuses on little details, emphasizing them, pushing them to the front when they should be subtle, and sometimes creating fake "details" with subtle high frequency distortion like an exciter effect box does.

You can make pretty much anything sound more "detailed" that way because different frequency responses and other similar effects will shift your conscious attention to something different creating the impression of more or new "detail".

The red part, I usually attribute to a deficiency in staging or imaging, but I get your drift.  The blue part is really interesting.  I've never come across any high frequency distortion that "creates" that kind of detail.  Would be curious to know what components or headphones you have come across that do this, aside from an exciter effect box.  I'll be sure to listen to them next time I come across one.

Maybe I'm just being anal-retentive.  I figure we could call it extra-perceivable detail.  Or exo-perceivable detail?  
smile.gif
  That pretty much nails what we're trying to describe.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,977 of 7,138
I think he means that attenuating and/or exaggerating certain frequencies draws your attention to these micro-details rather than creating them.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #1,978 of 7,138
I appreciate all the explanations, but I was actually talking about it in terms of semantics.  I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Perceived detail as opposed to what?  

The word perceived can refer to things in reality, as well as things exaggerated in reality, or even things imagined altogether.  Since we're trying to distinguish what's real compared to what's being exaggerated or spotlighted, maybe exaggerated detail or some phrase similar would a better.

I get that this is what's being referred to, but the phrase "perceived detail" doesn't mean that.

The red part, I usually attribute to a deficiency in staging or imaging, but I get your drift.  The blue part is really interesting.  I've never come across any high frequency distortion that "creates" that kind of detail.  Would be curious to know what components or headphones you have come across that do this, aside from an exciter effect box.  I'll be sure to listen to them next time I come across one.

Maybe I'm just being anal-retentive.  I figure we could call it extra-perceivable detail.  Or exo-perceivable detail?  :smile:   That pretty much nails what we're trying to describe.

I'd love to argue semantics, trust me, I'm a linguist, but I was just using common jargon. If I really wanted to be completely anal, I would've labeled it perceived-but-not-actually-there detail. Phantom detail. I prefer to reign in the diction for the sake of efficient, comprehensible communication. I suppose if you want to be insistent, we can try to convince folk to refer to it as exo-perceivable detail, but I have a feeling it'll remain as is, honestly. Also, the original Greek prefix "exo" doesn't quite encapsulate your meaning...but that's alright:) Whatever works best, I suppose :wink:

Kojaku

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,979 of 7,138
Quote:
I'd love to argue semantics, trust me, I'm a linguist, but I was just using common jargon. If I really wanted to be completely anal, I would've labeled it perceived-but-not-actually-there detail. Phantom detail. I prefer to reign in the diction for the sake of efficient, comprehensible communication. I suppose if you want to be insistent, we can try to convince folk to refer to it as exo-perceivable detail, but I have a feeling it'll remain as is, honestly. Also, the original Greek prefix "exo" doesn't quite encapsulate your meaning...but that's alright:) Whatever works best, I suppose
wink.gif

Kojaku

Extra- then?  Carry on.  Don't mind me.  

smile.gif

As long as we're agreed that the original doesn't make sense.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,980 of 7,138
Quote:

Extra- then?  Carry on.  Don't mind me.  

smile.gif

As long as we're agreed that the original doesn't make sense.

Also, I quoted "perceived' in the original for a particular semantic reason. Anyway, back to the thread at hand. Has anyone tried portably driving these babies?

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back