The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,546 of 7,138
Someone compared a bunch of interconnects and found a less 0.01db difference between them.  I cannot imagine headphone cables being much different.  I know people claim they here difference, big differences, but measurements do not support the claims.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,547 of 7,138

Quote:
I have never seen different cables result in measurable differences in any of my frequency response or waterfall plots. I am not saying that they don't make a difference.

Going from an annoying FR curve to pleasant does seem to be a very significant change.

Yes it is.
I can make my friend to assemble the same silver cable for you and send you to try.
We can split the shipping from Bulgaria to USA and back :)

edit: "Going from an annoying FR curve to pleasant does seem to be a very significant change." - this can be made by some invisible (insignificant) on graphs curve changes. The human ears are sensitive to subtle changes.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,548 of 7,138

Quote:
Someone compared a bunch of interconnects and found a less 0.01db difference between them.  I cannot imagine headphone cables being much different.  I know people claim they here difference, big differences, but measurements do not support the claims.

Do you buy stuff by reading specifications and measurements? :)

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #1,549 of 7,138
I have never seen different cables result in measurable differences in any of my frequency response or waterfall plots. I am not saying that they don't make a difference.

Going from an annoying FR curve to pleasant does seem to be a very significant change.

Just curious, can you diff / xor two charts with your software or are you just eyeballing the two different chars/graphs?
How precise and accurate is the device? I'm sure humans could pick up a diff of 0.5 db shifting 100hz (which I pulled out of the air). Would it even be able to pick up the differences a cable made?

I don't mean to give you a hard time or anything. Again, just curious.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,551 of 7,138

Quote:
Just curious, can you diff / xor two charts with your software or are you just eyeballing the two different chars/graphs?
How precise and accurate is the device? I'm sure humans could pick up a diff of 0.5 db shifting 100hz (which I pulled out of the air). Would it even be able to pick up the differences a cable made?

0.5 dB is about 10% more power.  I'm pretty sure it's measurable.  I think that one thing that people seem to forget about dBs, they are logarithmic.  It takes a lot of measurable power to change the sound.  A cable that changes the measurable sound by 1%, is not going to be audible.

Edit:  I should have said, "changes the measurable power by 1%"

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,552 of 7,138
Just got my LCD-2's in. The Rev. 2 Bamboo. I'm looking at the Frequency Response Chart and there's no trough between the 5k and 10k hump...the treble response is surprisingly high compared to what I see on Rosewood LCD-2 Rev. 2...it's surprising and very interesting. I'll post a pic tomorrow :)...

Kojaku

I've made a thread for LCD-2/3 graphs because of the big differences in FR response of the audezes. I also felt a strange hump in the lower treble of my pair. The cure for this and for some other issues of my pair were the burn-in and a new cable. :)
BUT the more important is that the measurements for these graphs are not made with the cables we find in the boxes of our headphones. And these cables do have significant influence on our LCD-2/3, i.e. what we hear is no what we see on the graph.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/601273/lcd-2-lcd-3-fr-graphs

Quote:
Just got my LCD-2's in. The Rev. 2 Bamboo. I'm looking at the Frequency Response Chart and there's no trough between the 5k and 10k hump...the treble response is surprisingly high compared to what I see on Rosewood LCD-2 Rev. 2...it's surprising and very interesting. I'll post a pic tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif
Kojaku

Quote:
My left phone connector just broke :frowning2: Pretty low quality these default cables.. Just ordered some white cloth vintage wire and connectors for about 35€, I'll be making my own after looking at the prices of aftermarket ones :D

oh .. this news made me underwhelmed for my LCD-2 rev.2 Bamboo !! one is complaining about the added treble and one's complaining about the build quality ... ! I really hope the sound didn't change much
( i'm kinda regretting passing on the he-500, but i'm optimistic that i made the right choice with the LCD-2 )

WHOAWHOAWHOA. Let's not misunderstand here. I LOVE the treble. I wasn't expecting treble this coherent and present, from reading the Freq. Graphs of the Rosewood LCD2's. I am ridiculously pleased with my LCD-2 Bamboo.

Kojaku

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,553 of 7,138

Quote:

Yes it is.
I can make my friend to assemble the same silver cable for you and send you to try.
We can split the shipping from Bulgaria to USA and back :)

edit: "Going from an annoying FR curve to pleasant does seem to be a very significant change." - this can be made by some invisible (insignificant) on graphs curve changes. The human ears are sensitive to subtle changes.

That's OK. I've had plenty of silver cable lying around and if I needed some more, I would probably buy from Chris, which may happen sooner rather than later.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #1,554 of 7,138

Quote:

Just super imposed two graphs on each other - without changing position of headphone on the rig - but just reinserting different cables (which is easy on the HD800 or LCD3.)

The holy grail is to find measurements which will detect the difference. I am still searching. FWIW, different vacuum tubes also sound different, even more so than cables. But we still see no differences in the FR, CSD, impulse response, or phase response.

I am not a big believer in huge sonic changes with cables because I feel the money is better spent upgrading or modding other components first, and that cables should be addressed last. Where I have replaced cables early on, it was for reasons of utility, comfort, microphonics, bling, etc. rather than for sonic improvements.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #1,555 of 7,138

Quote:

Nothing I could say on the matter would either be allowed or believable due to the nature of my account. It's usually not measurable, but it's there to the people who try 'em. I feel that head-fi as a whole have been warming up to the idea of them being a good purchase, hence the LCD-2 cables thread.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,556 of 7,138

Quote:

Nothing I could say on the matter would either be allowed or believable due to the nature of my account. It's usually not measurable, but it's there to the people who try 'em. I feel that head-fi as a whole have been warming up to the idea of them being a good purchase, hence the LCD-2 cables thread.

Does this mean you've personally found measurable differences, or was that just a generic statement?

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,559 of 7,138
Back to the LCD-2.

Quote:
My left phone connector just broke :frowning2: Pretty low quality these default cables.. Just ordered some white cloth vintage wire and connectors for about 35€, I'll be making my own after looking at the prices of aftermarket ones :D

Is this on the new Bamboo LCD-2?  Is it on the cable, or on the headphone?

I am thinking of getting the Bamboo LCD-2.  I hope they didn't trade one build quality issue with another.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #1,560 of 7,138

Quote:

That's OK. I've had plenty of silver cable lying around and if I needed some more, I would probably buy from Chris, which may happen sooner rather than later.

biggrin.gif
It's difficult to explain my wife that I've had plenty of headphones lying around here but some are different from the others...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back