The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 29, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #1,533 of 7,138
Just got my LCD-2's in. The Rev. 2 Bamboo. I'm looking at the Frequency Response Chart and there's no trough between the 5k and 10k hump...the treble response is surprisingly high compared to what I see on Rosewood LCD-2 Rev. 2...it's surprising and very interesting. I'll post a pic tomorrow :)...

Kojaku

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #1,534 of 7,138
My left phone connector just broke :frowning2: Pretty low quality these default cables.. Just ordered some white cloth vintage wire and connectors for about 35€, I'll be making my own after looking at the prices of aftermarket ones :D

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #1,535 of 7,138

Quote:
Just got my LCD-2's in. The Rev. 2 Bamboo. I'm looking at the Frequency Response Chart and there's no trough between the 5k and 10k hump...the treble response is surprisingly high compared to what I see on Rosewood LCD-2 Rev. 2...it's surprising and very interesting. I'll post a pic tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif
Kojaku

Quote:
My left phone connector just broke :frowning2: Pretty low quality these default cables.. Just ordered some white cloth vintage wire and connectors for about 35€, I'll be making my own after looking at the prices of aftermarket ones :D

oh .. this news made me underwhelmed for my LCD-2 rev.2 Bamboo !! one is complaining about the added treble and one's complaining about the build quality ... ! I really hope the sound didn't change much
( i'm kinda regretting passing on the he-500, but i'm optimistic that i made the right choice with the LCD-2 )

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,536 of 7,138
Just got my LCD-2's in. The Rev. 2 Bamboo. I'm looking at the Frequency Response Chart and there's no trough between the 5k and 10k hump...the treble response is surprisingly high compared to what I see on Rosewood LCD-2 Rev. 2...it's surprising and very interesting. I'll post a pic tomorrow :)...

Kojaku

I've made a thread for LCD-2/3 graphs because of the big differences in FR response of the audezes. I also felt a strange hump in the lower treble of my pair. The cure for this and for some other issues of my pair were the burn-in and a new cable. :)
BUT the more important is that the measurements for these graphs are not made with the cables we find in the boxes of our headphones. And these cables do have significant influence on our LCD-2/3, i.e. what we hear is no what we see on the graph.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/601273/lcd-2-lcd-3-fr-graphs

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #1,537 of 7,138

Quote:

Not all aftermarket LCD-2 cables are that expensive. If anything just buy an IEM cable, then terminate it to Mini-XLR in the worst case scenario.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,538 of 7,138
Try Q Cables...

popcorn.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #1,539 of 7,138

Quote:
Try Q Cables...

popcorn.gif

He is a very nice gentleman and I'd recommend his cable, Toxic, or Double Helix depending on which one makes you happy aesthetically.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #1,540 of 7,138
Already ordered connectors and wires for my own completely custom one :D Now I just need to wait and come up with a crazy name for it 
o2smile.gif
 Benton's Dental Grade Vintage Purity No. 1 
o2smile.gif
 Gonna be awsome.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #1,541 of 7,138

Quote:

BUT the more important is that the measurements for these graphs are not made with the cables we find in the boxes of our headphones. And these cables do have significant influence on our LCD-2/3, i.e. what we hear is no what we see on the graph.

Interesting claim.  So what cable does Audeze use to take FR measurements to send to all their customers?

EDIT:  If changing the cable altered the measurable FR of a headphone, why is there a cable debate?

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,542 of 7,138

Quote:

Interesting claim.  So what cable does Audeze use to take FR measurements to send to all their customers?

I don't know, but I doubt they connect every pair with its cable and then separate them before boxing :) Anyway, my audezes had very annoying FR curve with the original cable. I even thought about selling them. I've never claimed the cable for that and the change of sound after the cable swap was a very pleasant surprise to me. Several people here say  that cables do not affect much the sound but this is not true. Cables are very important unless you don't pay much attention to the sound :)

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,543 of 7,138
I have never seen different cables result in measurable differences in any of my frequency response or waterfall plots. I am not saying that they don't make a difference.

Going from an annoying FR curve to pleasant does seem to be a very significant change.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,544 of 7,138

Quote:
I have never seen different cables result in measurable differences in any of my frequency response or waterfall plots. I am not saying that they don't make a difference.

I'd like to see Tyll do that with one of his measurements on the LCD-2. Specifically with a few different cables.

Not saying that you did it wrong, just like to see what Tyll would think of it.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,545 of 7,138
Quote:
I don't know

This seems to be the key theme.

Quote:
I'd like to see Tyll do that with one of his measurements on the LCD-2. Specifically with a few different cables.

Not saying that you did it wrong, just like to see what Tyll would think of it.

It's been done many times by many people on many HPs and cables.  If there is a measurable difference, it does not show up in FR, looking elsewhere would be wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back