The ATH-CKS77.
Sep 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,443 of 1,518
Looking for a new iem for j-pop since the cable on my Soundmagic E10's have broken. Very interested in the cks77x as the description sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, the sound of the E10's which I loved but better vocals and bass. There are a few concerns I have if someone can please clarify. From the pictures the earphone cable and jack doesn't look very durable at all. The only reason I'm even buying a new iem is because my old one failed. I wan't something that will last. How will the cks77x fair from lot of walking and putting in and taking out of the pocket? Is there a suitable cable wrapping accessory I can buy?

The second concern is the housing. In typical AT style it is different from a lot of other earphones. Do they look funny when you put them on? Are they discrete enough? Also what is the comfort and fit like? I had a few problems with the E10's as they were a bit too big and caused pain after an hour. As long as I didn't move around they stayed in but since I'm always on the go I need something that will stay in and be comfortable.

Thirdly is the cost. These aren't available in the UK so it'll cost me around £60/$96 including customers to import it from Amazon/Tenso. They don't come with any accessories either so I'll have to buy a cable wrap and maybe some comply's which = another £20 a least. Is it really worth it?

Thanks in advance

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,444 of 1,518
  Looking for a new iem for j-pop since the cable on my Soundmagic E10's have broken. Very interested in the cks77x as the description sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, the sound of the E10's which I loved but better vocals and bass. There are a few concerns I have if someone can please clarify. From the pictures the earphone cable and jack doesn't look very durable at all. The only reason I'm even buying a new iem is because my old one failed. I wan't something that will last. How will the cks77x fair from lot of walking and putting in and taking out of the pocket? Is there a suitable cable wrapping accessory I can buy?

The second concern is the housing. In typical AT style it is different from a lot of other earphones. Do they look funny when you put them on? Are they discrete enough? Also what is the comfort and fit like? I had a few problems with the E10's as they were a bit too big and caused pain after an hour. As long as I didn't move around they stayed in but since I'm always on the go I need something that will stay in and be comfortable.

Thirdly is the cost. These aren't available in the UK so it'll cost me around £60/$96 including customers to import it from Amazon/Tenso. They don't come with any accessories either so I'll have to buy a cable wrap and maybe some comply's which = another £20 a least. Is it really worth it?

Thanks in advance

The CKS77X are awesome earphones, definitetely a lot of fun. They are built like a tank, and I see no problems with the durability of the cord. However, a lot of AT's cables are prone to microphonics and these are no exception. There is a lot of cable noise when walking around with these. As for how they look in your ear, they are pretty big and they do stick out. If you really need something discrete, these might not be a great option. I don't have a problem with the comfort at all.

As for the cost, CDJapan has these for  6171 yen, so about 39 pounds. That is where I got mine from so I can vouch for them. 

These are really awesome iem's, but they might not be what you are looking for, for active use. If you are interested in other Audio Technica's take a look at their new Sonic Fuel line, which is geared towards a more active person. I don't have any other suggestions for other brands though, but take a look over on the Discovery thread, there is a lot of great stuff and you might find something else that catches your attention. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,445 of 1,518
Thanks for the reply. It would be wiser to buy something more local, but since my main music is Japanese I thought these would be perfect. Didn't know about the microphonics. That would be a huge problem. Have you tried using them with a cable clip?

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,446 of 1,518
  Thanks for the reply. It would be wiser to buy something more local, but since my main music is Japanese I thought these would be perfect. Didn't know about the microphonics. That would be a huge problem. Have you tried using them with a cable clip?

No I haven't, I'm sure it would make a big difference but I do most of my listening at home, so no need for one. I have a lot of bass-heavy stuff on my iPod, which the CKS77X is great for, but for general listening I go for the CKN70's. I'm sure you would like the sound if you got the 77x, but the cable and the fact that they stick out could be a problem. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,448 of 1,518
It will do those genres fine but these might have more bass than you want for them genres.. I would look into the new RHA MA750s. Recently got these iems and these will sound very nice for your music.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,449 of 1,518
Are the ones sold on ebay original? They're cheaper but on the same packaging though details on the box are written on mandarin I think. Are they worth considering? I worry that these may be fake. 

I've read Accessory Jack got some reputation? 

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,451 of 1,518
Based on the overwhelming response to this IEM thread, I today purchased the CKS 77's.. Two weeks ago, before running across this thread, I had just purchased the ATH-CKS1000 IEM's along with the Sony XBA-4IP and Westone Three's . The JVC HA-FXZ200 are on there way to me as an Xmas present.. Just some random thoughts here.. The CKS 1000's have 100 hours break-in. I firmly believe in break-in for all amps, and headphones. I rarely make comments or judgments before at lease 50 hours break-in.. But, today, I make an exception.. I confess!  I cheated and listened to the 77's after only 8 hours of break-in.. Wow!.... They sound crappy and ill formed..... HOWEVER, they are the absolute best sounding "pre-break-in" IEM's I have heard yet. You bet. I look forward to hear good things to come from them after break-in.

The 77's are what I hoped the CKS 1000's would be but aren't.. And the CKS1000's are what we thought the CKS 77's would have sounded like back before this thread started and nobody had a clue about them.. I am definitely saving up for the CKS 99's.... Don't get me wrong, the CKS 1000's sound real good but has it's competition.. The CKS 1000's sound better than the Westone 3's and way better than the Sony XBA 4 IP's.. The Sony's are going back for an exchange for Sennheisier. CX 700's..

I wanted an IEM that had a bass player that showed up for work but not bloated or overwhelming. I wanted an IEM with a balanced, not recessed midrange presentation, with detail, that is not overshadowed or colored by the bass.. I wanted an IEM with non fatiguing highs with great detail & sparkle and no sibilance. I wanted a smooth yet dynamic sounding IEM overall.. The CKS 77's are not the IEM's I am looking for but dam close. Maybe it's the best you get.. I am a happy camper.. .The Sony 7550's come close too but are a more drier perhaps cultured presentation than the 77's which are a very fun to listen to IEM..  It's amazing how they can cater to the whole frequency spectrum for IEM's with just one driver in each earpiece..

Sources used are a Galaxy 3.5 music player and a Fiio X12, a Galaxy 4.2 music player and a Fiio X18 and an Ipod Classic and a Fiio X17.. Tonight I will use the Denon modified player and the Zana prototype..

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #1,452 of 1,518
Based on the overwhelming response to this IEM thread, I today purchased the CKS 77's.. Two weeks ago, before running across this thread, I had just purchased the ATH-CKS1000 IEM's along with the Sony XBA-4IP and Westone Three's . The JVC HA-FXZ200 are on there way to me as an Xmas present.. Just some random thoughts here.. The CKS 1000's have 100 hours break-in. I firmly believe in break-in for all amps, and headphones. I rarely make comments or judgments before at lease 50 hours break-in.. But, today, I make an exception.. I confess!  I cheated and listened to the 77's after only 8 hours of break-in.. Wow!.... They sound crappy and ill formed..... HOWEVER, they are the absolute best sounding "pre-break-in" IEM's I have heard yet. You bet. I look forward to hear good things to come from them after break-in.

The 77's are what I hoped the CKS 1000's would be but aren't.. And the CKS1000's are what we thought the CKS 77's would have sounded like back before this thread started and nobody had a clue about them.. I am definitely saving up for the CKS 99's.... Don't get me wrong, the CKS 1000's sound real good but has it's competition.. The CKS 1000's sound better than the Westone 3's and way better than the Sony XBA 4 IP's.. The Sony's are going back for an exchange for Sennheisier. CX 700's..

I wanted an IEM that had a bass player that showed up for work but not bloated or overwhelming. I wanted an IEM with a balanced, not recessed midrange presentation, with detail, that is not overshadowed or colored by the bass.. I wanted an IEM with non fatiguing highs with great detail & sparkle and no sibilance. I wanted a smooth yet dynamic sounding IEM overall.. The CKS 77's are not the IEM's I am looking for but dam close. Maybe it's the best you get.. I am a happy camper.. .The Sony 7550's come close too but are a more drier perhaps cultured presentation than the 77's which are a very fun to listen to IEM..  It's amazing how they can cater to the whole frequency spectrum for IEM's with just one driver in each earpiece..

Sources used are a Galaxy 3.5 music player and a Fiio X12, a Galaxy 4.2 music player and a Fiio X18 and an Ipod Classic and a Fiio X17.. Tonight I will use the Denon modified player and the Zana prototype..

Great to hear you enjoy your CKS77!
I have both the CKS77 and the CKS77x (improved model) and they are both really great for those who want massive bass which is still very good quality at the same time. I don't know if I would bother getting the CKS99 if you already have the 77 and the 1000, as the 1000's should be an improvement on the 99's.
I really enjoy my 77x's for electronic and RnB music. They aren't so good for rock music because of they are very warm and have a massive mid-bass, but I also have the CKN70's which are awesome for rock.

Make sure you report back once you get the JVC's and let us know how they compare to your other 'phones.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,453 of 1,518
I am not physically up to do full reviews. I am too sick.. Sorry bout that.. I would rather insert random thoughts as they surface in this journey.. So far the CKS 77's seem to be firing on all cylinders.. Each frequency is well represented and none of them are laid back.. The CKS 1000's seem to not be over shadowed by the bass but rather playing a back seat, in presentation, as to the bass.. The CKS 77's are very edgy sounding being neither sibilant nor grainy but almost.. The CKS 1000"s are very very smooth.. But I do think that both may not settle in their respective roles until at minimum 500 hours of break-in have been reached.. However they are quite listenable right now though. I think the mids and high end may step a little more forward and on the whole become a little more aggressive but still remaining smooth for the CKS 1000's after 500 hours break-in.. I do think that the overall edginess of the CKS 77's will be smoothed out quite a bit after 500 hours also but still remaining the more lively of the two with a much better and very enjoyable fun factor.. The CKS 1000's, after 500 hours, shall we say will perhaps remain just a bit more cultured and dignified portraying excellence just a bit differently.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,454 of 1,518
You would think that a line-up of IEM's with the same architectural theme and engineering theme would have the same basic sound signature as you go up in price and model numbers just better at doing it and sounding better. But it does not appear to be the case with this Audio Technica line-up.  To me anyway, I would have paid just as much for either model.. I do not think one is better than the other. Each is doing business differently but utilizing the same tools yielding a different result but both very pleasing... Simply amazing...

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,455 of 1,518
So the other day I pulled out my CKS77X, which I haven't used in a little while, and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy their sound. These things are far from being the most balanced or accurate, but they are definitely fun to listen to. The bass is just massive, but I love how it is really controlled at the same time. The lower mids are a bit warm and congested for my liking, but upper mids are very nice, making female vocals sound lovely. The treble is also controlled very nicely. They also have this really spacious quality that I really like. I have been listening exclusively to these things the last few days because they are just so much fun!

Glamour shot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back