The ATH-CKS77.
May 1, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #811 of 1,518
Quote:
I got my 52 USD ebay red pair yesterday. I only got the tips that where on the in-ear and no obvious physical flaw that I can see. First impressions where not that great. Loose bass, recessed midrange and very bad microphonics. After some time burning these in they are sounding much better but still too much damn bass for my taste which was pretty much expected. Still the midrange isn't really that great but for the price it's pretty descent. 

Mids come more forward after burn in...

May 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #812 of 1,518
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif

Wow!  The FedEx guy dropped off my new headphones today, and I just got home for a bit, to test them out.  This is what I'm talking about when it comes to bass!  I would describe these as "exciting".  I played a few songs, and was blown away.  These are great.  Bass by the bucket-load.  The mids do seem a little recessed, but I'm burning these in right now, so hopefully that will change.  The highs are not "in-your-face", but they are clear and present.  I like these, just in my little test of around 6 songs, I was impressed. 

Love 'em.  Thanks Dsnuts for the review and recommendation.

May 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #813 of 1,518
Oh damn !! Lol! Look at ZMans avatar! lol!! I called it. Now that is wearing them with pride.. Enjoy them earphones and they will get better for you.. Happy listening fellas.

Exciting. I like that. That is a good description. Sums them up 100%.

May 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #817 of 1,518
While i'm at it, with all the positive (and positively negative) things I have been hearing about these babies I wanted to know whats the closest "Headphone" (big things) to these. First (and last) headphone I tried was the Crossfade LP, and ummm lets just say I stuck with IEM's. 
I honestly preferred my $20 vibes more than the $100 LP's

May 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #819 of 1,518
Well RPGwizard will not separate with his M-audio Q40s.. On the cheap the HTF600 has this sound signature.  The WS55 has the exact same sound signature as the CKS77 but is more of a portable sized headphone. 

May 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #820 of 1,518
Quote:
Well RPGwizard will not separate with his M-audio Q40s.. On the cheap the HTF600 has this sound signature.  The WS55 has the exact same sound signature as the CKS77 but is more of a portable sized headphone. 

Size doesn't matter (I had to laugh after I typed that), as long as it's the kind that goes on top of your head.  I haven't had an over the head set since I was like 12 so I'm sure there has to be better options by now.

May 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #821 of 1,518
for those who has been finding the bass a bit too much, are you actually listening to the cks77 at the same volume setting as your last iem?  I find these iem to be quite easy to drive and so most probably require a lower setting compare to your previous iem.

on the music I listen to on a iriver e30 volume setting at home

cks77 - 17/40
ckm77 - 21/40

cks77 set at 27/40 - bass becomes overwhelming for me.

May 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #822 of 1,518
For those complaining of mid bass bloat, I concur with previous posts that suggest removing the paper filter.  I have own mine for over a month and really started to enjoy them after doing this.  I own and did this with the ckm50s with modest improvement and felt the difference with the 77s was more dramatic. The paper filter seemed thicker on the 77s.  Really reduces the mid bass bloat and lets the mids shine through.  Anyway, I know I don't contribute a whole lot to this forum post-wise but as you can see from my join date I have alot of experience trying many phones, many at the $150 range but no more, mostly in ears, and with the at ckm50 and cks70s I have finally found phones that I can truly just listen to and enjoy the music, rather than wonder how the tune might sound on another phone. The best way to describe the sound for me is " supersaturated".  If you can still get the ckm50s under 30 bucks, they are the value kings.  But the cks77s are my go-to phones.  Ergonomics are great, with cable and isolation better than the 50s, neither one requires fiddling with fit like the tf10s, and are much fuller sounding to boot.  Sure there are technically more capable phones likely out there, and microphonics are an issue, which is true of most of th IEs I've tried that don't route cable around the ear, but when I reflect on the days when I listened to cassette playing walkmans with the stock phones, what we have at our disposal today truly makes us spoiled.  Again, unamped thru an ipod or sansa clip, it's hard to beat the immersive, in your face, full can sound in a portable form that these phones provide for around 100 to 200 bucks total including source! Kudos to 'nuts for giving them the attention they deserve.

May 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #823 of 1,518
I listen to the CKS77 again just to give them a fair shake because maybe they'd sound better than first listen but no go at least for me.  The bass is to much and takes away from the rest of the sound signature even though they still have pretty good detail though the recessed mids could be a touch more forward.  I guess I like the clarity and monitor like sound signature of the MG7 and they also have a bit of warmth which I like to.  

I don't find the soundstage to sound as closed in as others do, to me they're about average in width and they actually have decent depth with good separation as well.  I can see why people like these but they're just not a sound signature I find pleasing.

May 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #824 of 1,518
You should try taking the filter out of the CKS77s Techno. I know what it does. It will flatten out the sound a bit more to your liking I bet. Still retain the depth and staging while cleaning up the sound a bit like pfloyd suggested..I know guys that like a flatter sound will probably like this little mod.. Oh and for guys that are worried about not having a filter at all. I grabbed a pair of complys I had. Don't know which number they are but they have a wax guard in them works perfect on the CKS earphones. .FlySweeps filter mod will also do the same. I tried this with my CKS55 which absolutely needed the filter out.

It was almost not listenable before I took out the filter and now sounds like a new version all together. Much flatter response and so much more cleaner to listen to..  What was once the biggest bass is now a bit lesser than the CKS77..It seems the thick filter actually enhanced the bass response on these CKS earphones..
For me I decided to keep the filter on there for that dirty nasty sound which I like in my bassy earphones. But there is a choice and I have to admit it will and does clean up and flatten out the sound. Take out the filter if you guys feel the bass is too much for you and want your sound a bit cleaner. You gotta like an earphone that actually ends up giving you a tuning option..

Oh and Mr. Pfloyd I have a feeling you are around my age.. You need not to be so shy and contribute more my friend. Lol!. Glad you find these AT earphones to your liking..I have one more that you need to try out in the future. If you liked how them CKM50s sounded to you when you get a chance I have a feeling you would absolutely love the CKM500.. No filters need taken out either.. You know what is interesting. I was taking a good look into that CKM500 filter and I can see clear through it. It is very thin and not thick like these CKS earphones. Might explain why they sound so clean...Sound tuning through paper filters? Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back