The ATH-CKS77.
Apr 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #796 of 1,518

Quote:
How come is there a difference in SQ between the 2 settings...I may have to investigate 
tongue.gif

There is NO SQ difference, just one is louder than the other.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #798 of 1,518

Quote:

There is NO SQ difference, just one is louder than the other.

Not for me, but it depends on what headphone used how much of a difference noticed, for Q40 the bass loses a lot of punch in low gain and the mids are more forward/in-your-face (I'd optimally prefer low gain's mids + high gain's punchier bass and that's what ZO2.1 gives me with that headphone though). CKS77 it wasn't that big difference, mostly ever so slightly loss in bass punch.

May 1, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #801 of 1,518

Quote:
danny93,

For dynamic iem, using high or low gain usually doesn't effect the sound signature that much. just a volume difference.

It may affect how ZO/SmartVektor sounds though which it does to my ears.

Well I must say CKS77 smoothens out slightly by burn-in. The upper-mid peakiness is a bit better after the over-night burn-in but still very much there (used bassy Hardstyle coupled with ZO2.1 for some serious bass response to get the drivers a good work out), currently listening with EQ disabled and it sounds quite listenable with occasional harshness/shoutiness popping up here and there. Using the tip position further away surely helps too to flatten out the sound but too shame the overall sound signature is a bit too distant then (especially the distance to the mids; the vocalists, instruments etc in that case). The bass is very powerful when I'm listening atm with ZO2.1 even at a few levels below what I typically use with Q40, maybe lvl3-4 vs lvl7 or so. However I still miss the "bass-massage" feeling a headphone can give which IEMs doesn't (quantity wise this is roughly similar but it obviously doesn't feel the same as a fullsize headphone).

It sounds best paired with ZO2.1 but it also has more hissing than with ZO2.3. Does any1 know of any impedance-cables I could try, the IEM is also SCARINGLY loud with ZO2.1. With highest vol setting on ZO2.1, I have to use 6% volume in windows.... :O

It's clear at this point I won't become an IEM-guy but I don't regret the purchase though as it's worth having an IEM that comes very close to my preferred sound.

May 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #803 of 1,518
Quote:
You know in fact....if these had less bass....i would prefer them.
Let alone my little problem with the microphonics.

really...I am loving the bass on these...even put about 5 levels more with the ZO2 haha 
L3000.gif

May 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #806 of 1,518

Quote:
Woop, woop!! 
biggrin.gif

Is the MG7´s FS partly due to the CKS77´s too?

Well yes and no.

The cks77's sound great, no doubt...but I doubt they would take the place of the MG7's over my no1 earphone.
Simple reasons for the cks77''s against the mg7's
-Microphonics I can't stand
-Aren't as comfortable
-Aren't that great for trance (too much bass)
-Have too much emphasis on the lows

MG7's on the other hand:
-Sound a little lifeless
-Closed soundstage
-Harder to drive

It's very, very hard to decide which I prefer.
I like, but not love both.
A baby between them would provide bliss.

May 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #809 of 1,518
I got my 52 USD ebay red pair yesterday. I only got the tips that where on the in-ear and no obvious physical flaw that I can see. First impressions where not that great. Loose bass, recessed midrange and very bad microphonics. After some time burning these in they are sounding much better but still too much damn bass for my taste which was pretty much expected. Still the midrange isn't really that great but for the price it's pretty descent. 

May 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #810 of 1,518
Quote:

It may affect how ZO/SmartVektor sounds though which it does to my ears.

Well I must say CKS77 smoothens out slightly by burn-in. The upper-mid peakiness is a bit better after the over-night burn-in but still very much there (used bassy Hardstyle coupled with ZO2.1 for some serious bass response to get the drivers a good work out), currently listening with EQ disabled and it sounds quite listenable with occasional harshness/shoutiness popping up here and there. Using the tip position further away surely helps too to flatten out the sound but too shame the overall sound signature is a bit too distant then (especially the distance to the mids; the vocalists, instruments etc in that case). The bass is very powerful when I'm listening atm with ZO2.1 even at a few levels below what I typically use with Q40, maybe lvl3-4 vs lvl7 or so. However I still miss the "bass-massage" feeling a headphone can give which IEMs doesn't (quantity wise this is roughly similar but it obviously doesn't feel the same as a fullsize headphone).

It sounds best paired with ZO2.1 but it also has more hissing than with ZO2.3. Does any1 know of any impedance-cables I could try, the IEM is also SCARINGLY loud with ZO2.1. With highest vol setting on ZO2.1, I have to use 6% volume in windows.... :O

It's clear at this point I won't become an IEM-guy but I don't regret the purchase though as it's worth having an IEM that comes very close to my preferred sound.

hmm, am looking for some bass massaging headphones to pair with the z02, any suggestions south of 300, preferably south of 200? I was looking at the PRO700MKii (the ANV version is going for 270 at aim to find), Pro900, ES10, Esw9 (if it has enough bass), and the D1100. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back