The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Feb 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,756 of 1,921
Quote:
You know, I'm not normally much of a believer in burning in earphones, but I did notice a change in the sound of my CKM's the more I listened to them. The high end does get more relaxed as they break in and lose their harshness and sibilance. Instead of constant noise, I'd put an iPod set on shuffle to the different kinds of music you listen to, and crank the volume up to just about the loudest level you'd ever listen at, then just leave them for a solid two or three days.

experiencing and performing the same thing with my Sunrise Xcited now and it's been 20 hours and hoping the treble relaxes even more with further burning.

i guess this is universal for all dynamic iems. :)

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #1,757 of 1,921
Quote:
i guess this is universal for all dynamic iems. :)

Seems to work a bit for BA's too; I've always struggled with the sound from my SE425's -- I was convinced my first pair was defective, so I got a replacement from Shure. Those sounded marginally better, and out of desperation I set them up to burn in at high volume for about a week straight. I'm still a bit disappointed with their sound (believe it or not, I think the CKM's sound better in many ways), but it did certainly improve compared to fresh out of the packaging. I can't help but wonder if burn-in is proportional to driver size, because I've never noticed much of a change in sound from larger headphones (AD700's) or speakers. The smaller the driver the more the sound changes?

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,758 of 1,921
You can meassure the difference between fresh drivers and the used drivers in speakers atleast, so its not really about believing.
For instance, Fs and Cms goes down, but other parameters change too. Its not night and day ofc, but there is some change.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #1,760 of 1,921
Quote:
I also am not really a believer in burn in usually, but the marked sibilance of the CKM500s definitely tones down after a while. That or I got used to playing at lower levels. Not sure. Was a while ago when I got these.

I was skeptical on burn in well before joining head-fi, but that OOB sibilance with the CKM500 has gone away with everyone who's bought these. It all depends on the driver, and casing me thinks; burn in affects things more or less depending on those variables. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,762 of 1,921
You got fakes?

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,764 of 1,921
Not sure where mine were made but come to think of it, it's likely China too as that's where they shipped from

I was just wondering why that was a point to mention in the arrival post? 

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #1,765 of 1,921
nope . to be honest i do thought its a fake at first , sound sucks 
size]
 but after burn in session for about 20 hours using burn in wave , Im in love with these . thanks dnuts :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back