The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jan 27, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #1,741 of 1,921
Quote:
I just got my pair of ATH-CKN50's to compare to the CKM500's. I've had my CKM500's for several months now so they're fully broken-in, but the sound between the two is very similar. The only major thing I can discern at this point, until the CKN50's have some hours on them, is that they have deeper, tighter bass than the CKM500's -- though slightly less of it. The highs on the CKN50's are crisper (though not harsh or sibilant), but I recall my CKM500's being that way at first too. The big thing for me is that the CKN50's have smaller housings so they're more comfortable to wear. They have the exact same nozzles as the CKM500's so the same sleeves (Complys, etc) will work with either. The only thing I don't like so much about the CKN50's is that they have an asymmetrical cable; after the split, the cable going to the left earpiece is shorter than the one going to the right. (This works OK for me since my Audioengine N22 amp is to my left on my desk, so the cable needs to head that direction anyway.) The cable material is exactly the same between the two earphones, but it's just one long cable for the CKN50's vs. the short-cable-with-detachable-extension like the CKM500's. Also, the CKN50's don't include the nice black storage bag, though they do come with the same assortment of replacement sleeves.

Overall, I'd say you can't go wrong with either earphone. I've listened to a decent number of earphones in different price ranges (Shure e2, SE210, SE425, inexpensive Sony in-ears, etc.) and these AT's are the only headphones of any sort that I've been perfectly happy to listen to without needing to use EQ. Set your source to flat and enjoy. Right now I'd have to give the edge to the CKM500's for sound quality (just barely), but the CKN50's for comfort. It's just reassuring that what I'm hearing from these two appears to be AT's "house sound" so the CKM500's aren't an anomaly in their earphone lineup. If they keep it up, I'll be buying more AT's in the future.

Also of note is that Audio-Technica US has just picked up the CKM500i for distribution. They have an MSRP of $99 but should go for less in stores. I remember paying about $70 for my CKM500's (non-smartphone version) when I imported them from Japan, so I'm going to guess we could see the CKM500i go for about $80 here.

Thanks for the comparison DrWeb!!! Only thing that would annoy me is the asymmetrical cable, I really dislike them!!! I'm blessed that the 500's cam with a normal cable!!

Really interesting to hear that the sound these ckn50's produce are close to the 500's, I'll be interested to hear about the future versions of the ckn series like the 70's??! 

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #1,742 of 1,921
Quote:
Thanks for the comparison DrWeb!!! Only thing that would annoy me is the asymmetrical cable, I really dislike them!!! I'm blessed that the 500's cam with a normal cable!!

lol I wouldn't say a .6m cable and .6m extension is exactly normal.

I for one am So happy with my CKM500 that I haven't even looked at the CKN50s, and from the sounds of it I won't like them as much. However, I would much rather a J cable because I like to listen one-ear at work and J cables work nicely for that. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,743 of 1,921
Quote:

lol I wouldn't say a .6m cable and .6m extension is exactly normal.

I for one am So happy with my CKM500 that I haven't even looked at the CKN50s, and from the sounds of it I won't like them as much. However, I would much rather a J cable because I like to listen one-ear at work and J cables work nicely for that. 

Yer, for my usage I prefer 500's cable! I don't have an issue with the length cause I always use them at my desktop at home and quite like the short length. But yeh I really don't want to part with my 500's either, they have ticked all the boxes for me...but it's that feeling of knowing there is something even better out there that gets to me!?! Such a happy medium to have thou!!
L3000.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,744 of 1,921
Quote:
But yeh I really don't want to part with my 500's either, they have ticked all the boxes for me...but it's that feeling of knowing there is something even better out there that gets to me!?! Such a happy medium to have thou!!
L3000.gif

That's why I'm not getting rid of my CKM500's...the CKN's sound great, but so do the 500's, and there's no reason why I can't keep both. Honestly, what I'm most amazed by is just how awesome both of these in-ears sound considering their price. I didn't pay any more than $70 for either pair, including shipping from Japan. I actually think they sound better than my SE425's, which cost four times more. I just wish they isolated like the SE425's.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,747 of 1,921
Quote:
these should be compared in detailed with the panasonic rp-hje450.

they have almost the same specs and even look the same!

i think it will be a very interesting comparison. :)

Similar dish type dynamic earphones. That is the only thing that is similar. The HJE450 is a complete and utter failure from Panasonic. If you heard one you would understand.. They tried some funky air venting experiment that went completely wrong on them.. Long story short I don't have them any more but I still own and love my CKM500 but the HJE450 got the boot from me..There is a new version of the HJE450. I think because of how much a failure they are but only sold in Japan called the HJE600. Reading a few reviews online about them they look like what Panasonic had in mind when trying out these air vented dynamic.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #1,748 of 1,921

Similar dish type dynamic earphones. That is the only thing that is similar. The HJE450 is a complete and utter failure from Panasonic. If you heard one you would understand.. They tried some funky air venting experiment that went completely wrong on them.. Long story short I don't have them any more but I still own and love my CKM500 but the HJE450 got the boot from me..There is a new version of the HJE450. I think because of how much a failure they are but only sold in Japan called the HJE600. Reading a few reviews online about them they look like what Panasonic had in mind when trying out these air vented dynamic.

not sure why u say their venting experiment failed.

cause i been using the panasonic rp-hje270 for more than a year now, there are 3 vent holes at the back of the earphone.

not sure if it's the same "funky air venting experiment" you are referring to but these hje270 have been giving me high clarity sounds, good bass, no sibilance playing music loud/soft, they sound really transparent, timbre of instruments sound 100% perfect to me (i am not an expert) and perhaps the only bad thing about the vents is a little lower isolation. my impression of the vents is that it makes the general sound signature more natural sounding, natural being defined as the same texture in sound of the surrounding environment i hear when i take my earphones off.

i also own a pair of the sunrise xcape impressive edition which has totally no vents/holes on it, not sure if the overall slightly veiled sound is from the warm signature of the earphone or because it has no vents. I must say even the 20 dollar hje270 outperforms the 80 dollar xcape ie to me. whenever i switch back to the panasonic after days of listening on the xcape ie, i almost always feel a sense of fatigue lifted off of me and a generally more natural sounding signature from the panasonic. perhaps i been listening to the congested soundstage of the panasonic for too long and grown used to it, but i am positive the large distance separation of the xcape ie in terms of vocal and instrument is something my brain will not burn in to like over time as it sounds totally exaggerated and the musicality is gone when things are split up so far apart into individual components. not that i think separation is a bad thing but perhaps it's about having just the right amount of separation, something less exaggerated in terms of distance, after all i am about the post processed musciality and not doing referencing of sound in a studio. :)

comparing the xcape ie and panasonic, the xcape ie made me felt that warm earphones are not my kind of thing as i currently associate veiled sounding properties with a warm signature(not sure if i am right or wrong here, couldn't find much infomation associating these 2 properties). also made me realise the panasonic does sound a little unrefined and less prominent in terms of details and perhaps a little too much harmonic distortion from a cheap pair of earphones. which started me on another quest to finding an upgrade to the panasonic hje270 sort of sound signature and transparency, timbre. the factor that i am most looking forward to is an upgrade to soundstage after hearing the congested panasonic for more than a year now, they are 0 fatigue for 8 hours listening but i prefer a little separation now so the music can sound more realistic while remaining lively and fatigue free.

which also makes me want to sidetrack a little and say that i've noticed how the levels of fatigue from a pair of earphones are usually not assessed by most users even in a niche forum like this. 

not too keen on balanced armature right now though, since most reviews have stated the lack of bass in BA phones, or lack of sub bass/natural sounding bass even when the quality of bass in BA phones are adequate, which i have related to the mechanical limitation in balanced armature for driving bassy sounds.

and i must say i have been reading these forums and numerous reviews for weeks now trying to upgrade from my panasonic hje270 and still unable to find a suitable pair of earphone. i also read your other posts since the xba3 hype to the fzx200s and still couldn't conclude on a pair of upgrades. i must say i was really keen on the xba3 but the deal breaker lies in the challenge to power them on-the-go and most importantly the metallic sounding spike in treble at 8k Hz which i am still waiting for reviews of xba-30 to confirm that this has been fixed.

the review by joker on k3003 made me felt really inclined towards them as i felt this might be the combination of sound that i have been yearning to experience but eventually the deal breaker came after i thought about how hybrids do sound incoherent since dynamic speakers and balanced armature do sound different and probably easily noticeable to any ear that listens to music 6 hours a day, otherwise i would have saved up and grabbed myself a pair of k3003.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,750 of 1,921
Quote:
I've decided that I love the sound and feel of the CKM500s.

Are there any full headphones with a similar sound and intimacy? I love the presentation of the CKM500s, but I'm not super fond of IEMs.

Yup. With even better sound quality. These are portable cans. But the sound is unbelievable. The new ES700. Highly recommended for AT fans.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/645649/the-new-ath-es700#post_9044547       The only issue with these cans is their not so comfy stock pads but I found out replacing them with WS55 pads fix that issue. Couldn't recommend a better sounding AT can really.  If you want a full sized can I would look into the A900X.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,751 of 1,921
Hello guys!

I received my pair of these yesterday, and I have been listening to them for a good couple of hours now. I know it is not enough for them to be fully burnt in, but I don't think my problems are of the kind that goes away with burning in (I would be glad if you could tell me I'm wrong though!).

I think they are ok, it was not as big of a lift as I expected from using the in-ears that came with my phone. My biggest problem with them is that the treble is strange in my opinion, every time there is an "S" in the song (or even "CH") it is extremely sharp and it makes me unable to listen to the music at the volume I want, and if I turn the treble down enough so that it doesn't cut my ears the sound becomes very low quality. I am not sure if they are supposed to be like this, I am not very experienced within sound. I did recently get a pair of M50's, and I don't have this problem with them.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,752 of 1,921
I would first try a larger sized tip than what your using. You need a good seal in your ear.. I know many guys like to use smaller tips for better comfort but without a good seal in your ears your gonna get sibilance all over the place.. Try a wider nozzle tip. If you own any of the JVCs or Meelec ear phones try using those tips.. Finally you need to throw them on a source and let the drivers loosen up. Burn them in real good.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,753 of 1,921
Quote:
I would first try a larger sized tip than what your using. You need a good seal in your ear.. I know many guys like to use smaller tips for better comfort but without a good seal in your ears your gonna get sibilance all over the place.. Try a wider nozzle tip. If you own any of the JVCs or Meelec ear phones try using those tips.. Finally you need to throw them on a source and let the drivers loosen up. Burn them in real good.

Ok thanks, I tried the larger size tips that came with them but they were too large so I couldnt get them in my ear. :)
I will look up nozzle tip.

I read that you can play white noise pink noise for burn in, is this good and better than play my music?

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,754 of 1,921
Colored noise works. What I use is a 3 hour long drum and bass compilation on a loop. Drum n bass music will blasts them drivers and I burn all my cans and earphones this way. The key here is burn in fairly loud volumes. If your hearing music chatter when your putting it down on your desk. That is the volume we are talking about. Not safe for hearing type loud. Around 75%- 85% loudness.  Just cover the earphones with a jacket or blanket and work them drivers.. Does the job every time.. If you have other earphones. Try using those tips as long as the sound hole is not smaller than the stock tips you got with the CKM500.. You want preferably a wider nozzle or about the same. Seems you gotta find the right fitting tip for you.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,755 of 1,921
You know, I'm not normally much of a believer in burning in earphones, but I did notice a change in the sound of my CKM's the more I listened to them. The high end does get more relaxed as they break in and lose their harshness and sibilance. Instead of constant noise, I'd put an iPod set on shuffle to the different kinds of music you listen to, and crank the volume up to just about the loudest level you'd ever listen at, then just leave them for a solid two or three days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back