The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Dec 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,711 of 1,921
Quote:
Hmmm, if compared to an Atrios MG7, would CKM500s be better?

MG7s lack the deep layered lush highs and mids that the CKM500 have. If all you want is sub bass than the MG7 is what that is about. Otherwise they are just not that great even with a %50 discount.
Quote:
I'm loving the sound signature of CKM500, I wonder if there is a portable headphone, preferably audio-technica below $ 100 with similar sound signature.

WS55.  Similar sound tuning. But for the cash I would actually get a JVC HA-S500. Look up that thread. The HA-S500 is an upgrade to even the WS55 for less.
Quote:
I've been going through this thread all night. I'm definitely sold. Will probably order these next week or the week after. I'm also picking up a pair of ATH-TAD500's.

Look forward to your take on them. The CKM500 is an excellent all round earphone. I am sure you will like.

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,712 of 1,921
Quote:
MG7s lack the deep layered lush highs and mids that the CKM500 have. If all you want is sub bass than the MG7 is what that is about. Otherwise they are just not that great even with a %50 discount.
WS55.  Similar sound tuning. But for the cash I would actually get a JVC HA-S500. Look up that thread. The HA-S500 is an upgrade to even the WS55 for less.
Look forward to your take on them. The CKM500 is an excellent all round earphone. I am sure you will like.

Nice one, bro~
Might be picking 1 up for this Christmas, will be swapping in between my Atrios MG7s as well ^^

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #1,713 of 1,921
Quote:
I'm loving the sound signature of CKM500, I wonder if there is a portable headphone, preferably audio-technica below $ 100 with similar sound signature.

+1 for the WS55, best headphone I've ever heard. Not sure about the JVC's as I haven't heard them, but I have the model below (the S400's) and I actually really dislike them. For the price they are decent though.  

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #1,714 of 1,921
The MG7 has its wow factor I am sure you know what I am talking about and for bassy music they are monsters but the real issue for me at least with them is the lack of highs and mids that stand out on them.  The CKM500 has some really deep an immersive sounding highs and mids and of course while the sub bass is nothing like the MG7s. The bass end is very solid on these.  These have proper tuning for all types of music and not just bass bass and more bass. Some guys think the bass is a bit too much on the CKM500. That is simply not true. Might be for a guy that wants little bass. The CKM500 after proper burn in has a really nice well balanced sound.. Something I appreciate more and more now a days..If I want a bass earphone I will use my XB90EX. Which is what the MG7 should have been imo..

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,716 of 1,921
Quote:
The MG7 has its wow factor I am sure you know what I am talking about and for bassy music they are monsters but the real issue for me at least with them is the lack of highs and mids that stand out on them.  The CKM500 has some really deep an immersive sounding highs and mids and of course while the sub bass is nothing like the MG7s. The bass end is very solid on these.  These have proper tuning for all types of music and not just bass bass and more bass. Some guys think the bass is a bit too much on the CKM500. That is simply not true. Might be for a guy that wants little bass. The CKM500 after proper burn in has a really nice well balanced sound.. Something I appreciate more and more now a days..If I want a bass earphone I will use my XB90EX. Which is what the MG7 should have been imo..

Totally agree with all of this. The bass extension is soooooo nice. There's one song in specific that gets me every time with how low these go. They don't give up on the highs either, the high hats sparkle along with the lush, deep bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLHoV0Rq_qs

As a basshead, I appreciate the rest of the spectrum, and these do bass very nicely while letting the rest of the spectrum breathe. I do feel burn in helps these guys out. I found them really sibilant for the first few hours, the highs got really tame and I can appreciate the shimmer better, as the lower treble isn't so piercing anymore. 

I can't promote these enough. They're just amazing, and especially for the price.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #1,717 of 1,921
Quote:
+1 for the WS55, best headphone I've ever heard. Not sure about the JVC's as I haven't heard them, but I have the model below (the S400's) and I actually really dislike them. For the price they are decent though.  

Quote:

I'm not a big fan of bass (that's not to say I do not like it or do not want, just do not like to much), the WS55 may not sound massive for me because of the characteristic solid bass? What I like about CKM500 are the treble, then get the question: The WS55 will get as good as the treble CKM500? The bass from WS55 may not sound massive for someone who is not a fan of bass? It can be a good choice with signature like the CKM500 even with these differences?

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #1,718 of 1,921
Quote:

I'm not a big fan of bass (that's not to say I do not like it or do not want, just do not like to much), the WS55 may not sound massive for me because of the characteristic solid bass? What I like about CKM500 are the treble, then get the question: The WS55 will get as good as the treble CKM500? The bass from WS55 may not sound massive for someone who is not a fan of bass? It can be a good choice with signature like the CKM500 even with these differences?

The WS55 have pretty controlled bass, but it is still big. The mids are nice, but the treble rolls off a bit so that may not be to your liking. As far as I know the HA-S500's have pretty huge bass as well but that can be toned down with different pads. From what you are saying it sounds like you want a more balanced headphone. If you prefer Audio Technica, I can only think of the ES-33 or ES-55. I have not heard them but apparently they are pretty balanced. The new version of the ES-55's have been released in Japan I think, and they are the ES-500's, and they look really nice.

If you are willing to buy a brand that isn't Audio Technica I would suggest the Creative Aurvana Live. Very good for the money, although I still prefer the WS55. Apparenly the Noontec Zoro offers a really balanced sound for under $100.

Sorry, I'm pretty much a noob with all this stuff, but I hope I offered some help.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #1,719 of 1,921
Hello folks,

I am new to this forum, but have been following this thread recently and became very interested on ATH-CKM500. Can you guys recommend a reliable source (not necessary cheapest) to get a pair of this CKM500? I am in California.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
wil.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #1,720 of 1,921
Quote:
The WS55 have pretty controlled bass, but it is still big. The mids are nice, but the treble rolls off a bit so that may not be to your liking. As far as I know the HA-S500's have pretty huge bass as well but that can be toned down with different pads. From what you are saying it sounds like you want a more balanced headphone. If you prefer Audio Technica, I can only think of the ES-33 or ES-55. I have not heard them but apparently they are pretty balanced. The new version of the ES-55's have been released in Japan I think, and they are the ES-500's, and they look really nice.

If you are willing to buy a brand that isn't Audio Technica I would suggest the Creative Aurvana Live. Very good for the money, although I still prefer the WS55. Apparenly the Noontec Zoro offers a really balanced sound for under $100.

Sorry, I'm pretty much a noob with all this stuff, but I hope I offered some help.

Thank you friend! It helped a lot in choosing, had in view the ES55. If the ES500 does not fit in the budget, the 55 will be my choice.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #1,721 of 1,921
Quote:
Hello folks,

I am new to this forum, but have been following this thread recently and became very interested on ATH-CKM500. Can you guys recommend a reliable source (not necessary cheapest) to get a pair of this CKM500? I am in California.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
wil.

This is where I got mine from, reliable and quick. Free shipping. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_ipg=200&_osacat=15052&_armrs=1&_ssn=dzone2&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=ckm500&_sacat=15052&_from=R40

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #1,722 of 1,921
Quote:
Hello folks,

Thanks a lot!

Best,
wil.

Hey xwilx, I got them from here..http://stores.ebay.com/buyfromjapan?_rdc=1

I had no issues, shipping was about 10 days and everything was genuine!!

Good luck!
L3000.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,725 of 1,921
i feel like im owing DS for these great IEMs. Thanks ALOT for the Recommendation man!

its been 3/4 month and im loving these THING!
-the treble are very very DeTAiled!
-u will be able hear the Guiter notes u never heard b4!
-the bass are FAntastic (tight like ds said.)

also, a week b4, i did try gr07 that my frend have.
i did a little comparison and found out that the sound of gr07 is a little flat compared to ckm500. (do note that i only did a quick/little comparison between those iems.)
ckm500 will be with me for a long time and i think my next phones will be customs...

the only thing i dun like about ckm500 is its wire 0.6+0.6
i noe that some people wouldnt be bothered by it but it affects me alot. (which is y im thinking about customs on my next phones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back