The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Oct 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #1,653 of 1,921
No problem. Hope you like them!

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,654 of 1,921
guys if i get the CKM500 for $US45 at an HK outlet, what are the chances of them being fake or defective?? thanks

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,656 of 1,921
Quote:
I have the CKM500i with mic meant for usage with iPods/iPhones, same mic-input version as CKM500iS series with the exception of a longer 1.2m cord length without the short extension cord given. I'm also not hearing them like what others have made them out to be, especially according DSnut's earlier impressions about these being out of the world, or what he had previously termed it as "the best CKM series earphones yet". Personally to my ears the best CKM series IEM was the ATH-CKM90 model, that has already been discontinued by Audio-technica since early 2010's, and shortly after a few months later the CKM99's were introduced by them back in November 2010. CKM90 was also probably ATH's first and last in-ear earphones to be based on balanced armature drivers, instead of the usual 12.5mm dynamic transducers used across their whole line-up of lower end range of CKM series (CKM70, CKM55, CKM500), with the exception of the CKM99/CKM1000 series models which was based on their latest iteration and newly developed 14-mm dynamic transducers instead.
Simply put, the CKM500 series is indeed quite a decent earphones for it's price tag, and has reasonable build quality/thickness of the cables. However in terms of detail resolution/clarity, things such as soundstage/sense of space and instrumental separation it simply falls short compared to the other phones I have in my current possesion, and probably some of the cheaper sub-100 dollars IEMs out there as well. I do however like how it presents mainly vocals with it's forward midrange, it's excellent "Prat" factor with many upbeat tracks and its consistent and yet non-fatiguing treble qualities.
I have previously wrote quite a short and brief review about the CKM500i against my own pair of CK100PRO's before, Audio-technica current BA flagship in their own in-ears lineup. Not sure whether it would give you guys a better idea of where it stands against other top tier universals, but I'm too lazy to cut and paste the whole review into this discussion thread so just click the above link and take a look if you are interested.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

I hate to ask this, but did you give the ckm500 time to burn-in? I also agree with your comment, I felt the soundstage being pretty awful, but even worse was the mids and lows. It was too bloaty and the mids did not present the clarity that I wanted. I gave it 90 hours of burn-in and it opened up. I know it won't even be near at's flagship models, but it is worth a try.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #1,657 of 1,921
Quote:
I hate to ask this, but did you give the ckm500 time to burn-in? I also agree with your comment, I felt the soundstage being pretty awful, but even worse was the mids and lows. It was too bloaty and the mids did not present the clarity that I wanted. I gave it 90 hours of burn-in and it opened up. I know it won't even be near at's flagship models, but it is worth a try.

My unburned-in CKM500 itself is already miles ahead of the microphone version. And after burning-in for more than 50 hours now, the difference is not very subtle, although there is noticeably more control in the bass and highs are also more controlled. And of course, it's much better than the microphone ver. which I tried.

It's not near A-T's top end models like CK100pro, CKW1000ANV etc., but the value of the money is very good. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #1,659 of 1,921
Quote:
My unburned-in CKM500 itself is already miles ahead of the microphone version. And after burning-in for more than 50 hours now, the difference is not very subtle, although there is noticeably more control in the bass and highs are also more controlled. And of course, it's much better than the microphone ver. which I tried.

It's not near A-T's top end models like CK100pro, CKW1000ANV etc., but the value of the money is very good. 

While this thread is about the CKM500 , your post has me curious regarding the CK100pro
Would you kindly elaborate regarding the CK100pro ?
Cheers

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #1,661 of 1,921
While this thread is about the CKM500 , your post has me curious regarding the CK100pro
Cheers

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585007/review-ck100pro-unboxing-impressions-a-retrospective-journey-with-audio-technica-and-versus-ck100

If I recall correctly, Jeremypsp is also a head-fier from Singapore like me, and local head-fiers here typically gets their audition fix for higher-end, japanese-imported only Audio-technica IEMs from Jaben directly, so I doubt Jaben's set are any different from my. I do agree with Jeremypsp though, it could be because that my ears have already been "spoiled" with many eargasm sessions many thanks to my CK100PRO's, I wasn't all that impressed with the CKM500, at least according to the hype that has been going on this thread discussion for awhile. Don't get me wrong though, I did aknowledged the fact earlier in my brief write-up for the CKM500i's, that they are indeed a good value for money IEMs. But I think I have heard better, so most probably if you would to ask me, I wouldn't buy this as a spare IEM for myself as i don't really like it's comfort/fitting for my own case. (anyway I already have quite a few spare IEMs in my possesion if you read up the CK100PRO review thread so backup IEMs isn't a concern for me)

Just saying.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,662 of 1,921

Regarding the CKM500i pair that I had tried, that was actually my sister's personal pair that I bought for her earlier as gift, because if you did read up the earlier linked review I wrote for the ATH-CKM500i over at HardwareZone forums, you would realised that I actually bought it about a month earlier so naturally it was already quite a well burnt in pair after giving it to her. Although my sister isn't as crazy as some of us here when it comes down to this hobby of my, she usually has her IEMs plugged in to her Macbook Air probably every night because she watches alot of Youtube videos and streaming dramas and stuff like that, so even when it's not out with her during the daytime on her own iPhone 4S, it certainly gets burned in properly at night through her Macbook Air with various music or videos, although with the exception that this pair wasn't burned in with the usual White/Pink noise especially if you have yr own personal beliefs that running through your gear with such files would get yr IEM/headphones burned-in "better". But honestly I don't buy that kind of analogy or theory so do pardon me, although with my personal experience I wouldn't go as far as some people out there on Head-fi who tends to label the burning in theory as simply being snake-oil or pseudo-science, as I have indeed encountered tremendous improvements with all my gears, by getting them to go through with burn-in procedures. (usually done with a mix playlist of bassy electronic music or orchestra soundtracks as I deem fit)

Also, please kindly take note that my personal impressions of the CKM500i's that I had reviewed earlier, wasn't written plainly from a mere audition of spending with them through a short 15 mins affair, I actually spent a good 3 days with them, before making my own conclusion/judgement.

Still, do appreciate the kind gesture and your advice given earlier.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #1,663 of 1,921
When I first got the CKM500, they did not fit my ears well and they sounded dissapointing. After more than a 100 hours of burn in, they sound a heck of a lot better than the Shure SRH-440. The default ear covers it came with were not comfortable at all, but after a couple days of forced listening and use, they now fit me very well. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #1,664 of 1,921
Quote:
When I first got the CKM500, they did not fit my ears well and they sounded dissapointing. After more than a 100 hours of burn in, they sound a heck of a lot better than the Shure SRH-440. The default ear covers it came with were not comfortable at all, but after a couple days of forced listening and use, they now fit me very well. 

I'm having the same issues, hopefully what happened to you can occur to me, I'm listening to it right now while typing, the fit is bad, Ive got a good fit for the Vsonic Gr06, 02 and even the monoprice 8320 but not this one, I have changed the tips to the small pair that came with it, maybe the housing itself will hit part of my ears. :D

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #1,665 of 1,921
Quote:

Cheers

Hmm, I was saying that although the value is very good, it just can't compete with the CK100pro and the high-end A-T gang. Well, they are different however, the CKM500 being on the bassier side and the CK100pro, well, more towards the top-end. Well, haonan already mentioned it and he knows much better about them since he owns them, cheers :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back