The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Sep 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,621 of 1,921
I yesterday plugged them in cowon c2 and now understand why lots of persons say that they are boomy. It players fault, you need to get player with less bass, like rocoo ba or sony z1000. With rocoo ba for example they sound fantastic- signature and quality is like hd25 and better than anything else- tf10, ie80, mmdt, westone 2 and so on.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #1,622 of 1,921
Quote:
I yesterday plugged them in cowon c2 and now understand why lots of persons say that they are boomy. It players fault, you need to get player with less bass, like rocoo ba or sony z1000. With rocoo ba for example they sound fantastic- signature and quality is like hd25 and better than anything else- tf10, ie80, mmdt, westone 2 and so on.

I play the ckm500 through the revealing 'hisound studio v player' and i completely agree with the above post.

The ckm500 soundstage is intimate and involving .. for the money they are Superb !

The ckm500s are highly recommended for a good reason , in my humble opinion )

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,623 of 1,921
Hi everyone,

For those who purchased the CKM500i (for iPhone), have you had any issues with them?

I keep my earphones in a tough Pelican case but the mobile phone controls on these earphones have spoiled. 
They now skip, pause or fast forward my songs randomly without any touch of the controls.
And when I do press the controls, they don't do anything!

I really like the CKM500s so I might spring for another pair.
I was just wondering if anyone else experienced similar issues (CKM500 and CKM500i included).

Thanks in advance

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #1,625 of 1,921
I have tried my CKM500 with three sources so far.

1) My laptop which sounds thin and bright with recessed bass.
2) Ibasso d zero DAC/AMP which sounds neutral, may be slightly on the brighter side. 
3) Sony MP3 player which sounds warm with just a bit north of neutral bass.

WIth all the three sources the CKM500 shows a muddy and prominent mid bass peak that colours the lower mids. The bass characteristics stays more or less the same regardless of the type of source (atleast the ones mentioned above). 

I like the CKM500 for what it is (and love it after some Eq), but to be honest it is nowhere near the likes of westone 2, ie80 or tf10. I have not heard the HD25 but by judging how well it is mostly regarded as a respectable high end portable can, I believe CKM500 is the inferior one.

Just my opinions!

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #1,626 of 1,921
A lot of users are reporting too much midbass, nothing wrong with the criticism. Guess it depends where you are coming from, the bass-lenients are more tolerable of it.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,628 of 1,921
Bought myself a pair of the red CKMs a couple of weeks ago to use in the office, and I have been loving them. They sound great out my Leckerton UHA 6S - ohhhh, that bass! Meaty, visceral, ample. Basically all that I was not getting out of my old Meelec earbuds, and more. As others have noted on this thread, the mids are great, and soundstage is quite nice as well for this price point.

Of course, they do better with some genres of music than others. Electronic, rap and anything with a big bassline sounds just great. Is there too much midbass, as some have noted? Not to these ears, but I'm a bit of a basshead. 
wink_face.gif

Case in point, TNGHT- Higher Ground (1080p, please!)

It does pretty well with guitars too. Ali Farka Toure sounds verrrry nice, with just enough bite to the strings:

Ali Farka Toure - Savane

Vocals? Yessir!

Joan as Policewoman - Flushed Chest

Jonathan Johansson : Aldrig Ensam

However, classical is just a no-go. Too congested, and for some reason, the soundstage narrows way too much. Like listening through a cardboard tube. With that said, it is still the best ~$60 I have every spent on iems.

Oh and, how about some appreciation for the packaging? Opening up the package is like some elaborate origami puzzle box, one tug and everything elegantly and effortlessly unfolds - now that is some seriously well-done frustration free packaging! 

EDIT: corrected model name

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,631 of 1,921
Best burn in files. I use Drum n Bass music on a loop. If your using your PC you can use this. http://www.bassdrivearchive.com/flashme/  I would turn up the sound so it is fairly loud to you. Then take it off your ears. Turn it up 1/2 notch more and let it rip for the hours. For tips I would use Meelec tips. The stock ones aren't bad but they actually throw some limitations on the sound. Bigger wider nozzle types are best. Smaller nozzle tips like Sony hybrids end up restricting the sound on these. So tips that are wider than the nozzle opening are optimal. I remember a while back one of the guys liked the double flange tips from Meelec. Those initially seemed good as they widen the stage and it does but ends up deadening some of the dynamics in the highs and mids. So anything short with a wide bore is optimal.

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,633 of 1,921
They are vented, so isolation is only average, maybe even slightly below average. They dont isolate all that well, so they would not be optimal In noisy places.
Quote:

lol. I hate to be "that guy," but can anyone help me out with this question?

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,634 of 1,921
These are vented out back which gives the sound depth and the above average stage they have. In other words they don't isolate all that well..I don't think these would be ideal for isolation. They sound great as a result of the venting but you will be able to hear people around you.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,635 of 1,921
Does anyone have experience using Shure tips? I'm not sure where I tossed my Meelec tips..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back