The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,066 of 1,921
Quote:
Wow... Sure is! I can definitely sense some songs have some sounds that sound out of my head, but its not quite past my shoulders. At some point it has to start to sound unnatural though doesn't it? Im happy with the improvement i am experiencing right now.

What is wrong with hearing instraments placed where they actually are on stage?  Reference the Mark Knoppler song "You and Your Friend", album "On Every Street", the guitars are on opposite sides of the stage.......I have the DTS video of that song, played through my Home Theater system and believe me it does not sound unnatural to have a wide sound stage, the soundstage is thrown wide to each side beyond the speakers.  I only sense that with the Aurisonics Custom Tips with the CKM500, RE272, ASG-1, and W4R that I have or had.  Just describing what I hear though.....you will never know with universal tips, so just enjoy what you have, LOL!

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,067 of 1,921
I got those and these for $5 more. The way I see it. I have so many earphones I will try these tips on many of my other ones to see if they improve the SQ on them as well. 

Exactly! These will fit on any iem that the sony hybrids will fit. Anything that has the same big sized nozzle.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #1,068 of 1,921
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonb Wow... Sure is! I can definitely sense some songs have some sounds that sound out of my head, but its not quite past my shoulders. At some point it has to start to sound unnatural though doesn't it? Im happy with the improvement i am experiencing right now. What is wrong with hearing instraments placed where they actually are on stage? Reference the Mark Knoppler song "You and Your Friend", album "On Every Street", the guitars are on opposite sides of the stage.......I have the DTS video of that song, played through my Home Theater system and believe me it does not sound unnatural to have a wide sound stage, the soundstage is thrown wide to each side beyond the speakers. I only sense that with the Aurisonics Custom Tips with the CKM500, RE272, ASG-1, and W4R that I have or had. Just describing what I hear though.....you will never know with universal tips, so just enjoy what you have, LOL!

I understand what you are saying. I also have a good 2.1 setup at home and a highly tuned fully custom sound system in my car that is all time aligned and everything, i know all about soundstage. The problem i could see with earphones is getting a huge width but without also having good depth as well. You get to wide without also having depth and it wont sound right. Ive heard people say that exact thing about a certain open over the ear headphone.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,069 of 1,921
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I also have a good 2.1 setup at home and a highly tuned fully custom sound system in my car that is all time aligned and everything, i know all about soundstage. The problem i could see with earphones is getting a huge width but without also having good depth as well. You get to wide without also having depth and it wont sound right. Ive heard people say that exact thing about a certain open over the ear headphone.

Just didn't mention the depth, plus the fact that I use "crossfeed", with jRiver MC16, that aside comparing the Meleec tips to the Aurisonics Custom Tips, no contest, everyone has their own opinion though! 

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,070 of 1,921
Quote:

Just didn't mention the depth, plus the fact that I use "crossfeed", with jRiver MC16, that aside comparing the Meleec tips to the Aurisonics Custom Tips, no contest, everyone has their own opinion though! 

Gotcha. Crossfeed can be nice, i used crossfeed on my HD650's from the Headroom amp when i had that setup. Dont have any crossfeed options on the iPhone 4 though so its not an option now. If i ever have an extra $150 to blow ill get some custom tips made up.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,071 of 1,921
Quote:
Gotcha. Crossfeed can be nice, i used crossfeed on my HD650's from the Headroom amp when i had that setup. Dont have any crossfeed options on the iPhone 4 though so its not an option now. If i ever have an extra $150 to blow ill get some custom tips made up.

Dale at Aurisonics sent me three pairs of custom tips for free, just cost me $25 for the impressions, so just lucky I guess....they work the same on most of my IEM's past and present.  After using them for several weeks I would have no problem paying the $95 since my impressions are now scanned into a software file on record at Aurisonics. I do like the Meleec M9 tips though, and my daughter will be using them when her CKM500.

Sansa Fuze Rockbox has a crossfeed build, jRiver Media Center 16 has Audiophile settings that include crossfeed as well......a really nice feature with headphones!

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,072 of 1,921
Quote:

Probably the F or the white color.

The new HD386 seems to just be just one version. More colors but one sound signature.

You may have to be the guinea pig if you have the funds. You could choose one or buy both a CKM500 and a Superlux and keep which you like best. I'm sure we would appreciate the comparison and you should be certain to sell either and get most of you funds back. The CKM500 would sell and the HD386 would resell well. Not sure about the HD381 selling as well as the newer model which is harder to find, more intriguing, and more likely to get a bite IMO.

Earfonia is my friend. I ever brought back all of his 381 (381, 381B and 381F) for a week. As good as they are for the price... I don't think any of them would compete with CKM500. Never hear 386 though...

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,073 of 1,921
I feel that CKM500 never really "click" me.... The overpowering bass really bother me.... I almost think to sell it and get the JVC FXD instead...

Fortunately, this morning I saw the discussion about the tip while commuting to the city. So, the first time I arrive at the office I replace the the CKM500 tip with my JVC FX67 tip. Now, we are talking a better balanced phone..., equalization can never resulting like this.... this IEM really need a big bore!!!

Dsnut is right... AT should really consider to change their default tip!!!

wink_face.gif
We should really raise a "class action" to AT!!! They should not ship CKM500 with any of the current tips!

NOTE: I notice that the over powered bass is not really removed with this tips, just that cut over of the bass frequency that transitioning to the mid is now cut at the lower spectrum... But the bigger bore also free up the mid to emit better to the ear...

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #1,074 of 1,921
Quote:
I feel that CKM500 never really "click" me.... The overpowering bass really bother me.... I almost think to sell it and get the JVC FXD instead...

Fortunately, this morning I saw the discussion about the tip while commuting to the city. So, the first time I arrive at the office I replace the the CKM500 tip with my JVC FX67 tip. Now, we are talking a better balanced phone, almost change the signature significantly!!.... this IEM really need a big bore!!!

Dsnut is right... AT should really consider to change their default tip!!!

wink_face.gif
We should really raise a "class action" to AT!!! They should not ship CKM500 with any of the current tips!

You just got them correct? You need to have them play for a week straight fairly loud from a plugged in source. You will be surprised at how this tames the bass even more so..The bass is a bit bigger on open box.. In other words I don't know how well you burned yours in but I should make it a requirement for guys to burn these in for a 100 hours before critical listening. The bass is perfectly fine after some TLC burn in.

Yes these have bass. For many of you guys it might be a new thing but music without bass is like music without highs. You think about that. I would keep them on the burner for at least a weeks time. They sound wonderful after this. Yes better tips helps much but burn in will also bring out the true character of the sounds. I know many of you guys don't believe in burn in. Even if you don't, try it. It will only make your earphones sound even better.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,075 of 1,921
Quote:
You just got them correct? You need to have them play for a week straight fairly loud from a plugged in source. You will be surprised at how this tames the bass even more so..The bass is a bit bigger on open box.. In other words I don't know how well you burned yours in but I should make it a requirement for guys to burn these in for a 100 hours before critical listening. The bass is perfectly fine after some TLC burn in.

Yes these have bass. For many of you guys it might be a new thing but music without bass is like music without highs. You think about that. I would keep them on the burner for at least a weeks time. They sound wonderful after this. Yes better tips helps much but burn in will also bring out the true character of the sounds. I know many of you guys don't believe in burn in. Even if you don't, try it. It will only make your earphones sound even better.

ok... will keep burn it in Dave... they just passed about 30 hours mark... frankly I don't want to torture them without a rest... so I run various music from Massive Attack to classical with solo soprano...

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,076 of 1,921
You let those drivers loosen up and you will understand why myself. Jason, cute and many others here are raving about them. They get better with more use. Happy listening my friend and we are talking 70% to 80% max volume.. More beat driven the better..Though I can see how classical would work out the highs..Burn in is so scientific. Lol!

I was just thinking what you would have thought about the FXD80 if you just listen to those without burn in. Those are the opposite of these CKM500s. Too much highs and brightness out of box..To me it just makes complete sense that earphones sound better with the drivers loosen up. I never stop really burning in my earphones. They get to a certain point and don't change anymore but I still like to work them drivers nice n loose.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #1,078 of 1,921
Quote:
Everyone ought to have some Sony hybrids; did you try those dw1narso? Puts the bass in a better spot for me (more sub-bass instead of overpowering).

Hi Jarett, unfortunately I don't have Sony hybrids.... so far the FX67 medium tips, which have short flange with very wide opened bore, sounds good to me...

here is some pic of this tips.... see how big is the bore hole comparatively to the size of the tip itself..... http://www.onyougo.com/jvc-ha-fx67-b-e-photos_pi286445e7n617243

EDIT: I found ClieOS excellent tip comparison page... http://www.head-fi.org/t/304963/fyi-various-iems-tips-pictorial-comparison-updated-sept-29th-2011#post_3920493. I think my tip is the generic wide nozzle one. Looks like it has wider bore hole than the Sony hybrids on the same page...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back