The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,036 of 1,921
Meelec tips are always my go to tips for dynamic driver IEMs followed by UE single flanges for certain phones that want to breathe even more.  

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,037 of 1,921
Quote:
Which Meelec tips were you using? I bought a huge assortment, but the first and only ones ive tried so far are the "balanced sound" bi-flange tips.
These sound f'ing amazing and are comfy, but was just curious as to exactly which ones you tried.

I tested the black "balanced sound" bi-flange, same as you!  The Aurisonics Custom Silicone tips are much better though, huge soundstage, better bass, mids and highs!

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,039 of 1,921
Now im trying the medium size short bi-flange.... Seems to give the same sound as the longer balanced sound bi-flange but may feel more comfortable since it doesn't stick so far into the ear canal. I don't think its the length that is helping, i think its the wider bore that makes the Meelec tips sound better.

Im not 100% sure i like these shorter ones better quite yet though. Ill listen for a bit and then test both back to back.

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,040 of 1,921
Quote:
Another thing I'm disappointed with CKM500: soundstage. It's tiny. I'm really betting on burn-in so it gets a tad bigger because it's pretty bad here.

I hear a huge soundstage, I mean unbelievably huge, like a full size headphone.  Mine are fully burned in, but I am using custom tips that make them sound like CIEM's!

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,041 of 1,921
Quote:
Now im trying the medium size short bi-flange.... Seems to give the same sound as the longer balanced sound bi-flange but may feel more comfortable since it doesn't stick so far into the ear canal. I don't think its the length that is helping, i think its the wider bore that makes the Meelec tips sound better.
Im not 100% sure i like these shorter ones better quite yet though. Ill listen for a bit and then test both back to back.

It's the larger bore, I have experienced the effects of a larger bore on a lot of IEM's, IMO the bass is more balanced with the rest of the sound!

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,042 of 1,921
Quote:
Another thing I'm disappointed with CKM500: soundstage. It's tiny. I'm really betting on burn-in so it gets a tad bigger because it's pretty bad here.

I hear a huge soundstage, I mean unbelievably huge, like a full size headphone.  Mine are fully burned in, but I am using custom tips that make them sound like CIEM's!

I think the soundstage is good size too. It was big with stock tips, even bigger with the wider bore Meelec tips.

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #1,043 of 1,921
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonb Now im trying the medium size short bi-flange.... Seems to give the same sound as the longer balanced sound bi-flange but may feel more comfortable since it doesn't stick so far into the ear canal. I don't think its the length that is helping, i think its the wider bore that makes the Meelec tips sound better. Im not 100% sure i like these shorter ones better quite yet though. Ill listen for a bit and then test both back to back. It's the larger bore, I have experienced the effects of a larger bore on a lot of IEM's, IMO the bass is more balanced with the rest of the sound!

Im assuming you mean more mids and highs. I am definitely hearing better mids and highs with the wider bore tips, but the bass seems to be about the same. Its like they sound clearer, like the stock narrow tips were holding the mids and highs back.

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,044 of 1,921
Quote:
Im assuming you mean more mids and highs. I am definitely hearing better mids and highs with the wider bore tips, but the bass seems to be about the same. Its like they sound clearer, like the stock narrow tips were holding the mids and highs back.

I tried a lot of other tips that gave way too much bass, my Meleec tips are the M9 BF after I checked my web order on their site.  The Meleec tips brought the CKM500 sound more in balance that any other universal tips that I tried.  I settled on the M9 Biflange tips for my daughter because they were the closest in sound to my custom tips, which of course wouldn' t fit her ears.  But, like I stated before the Meleec are still not near the sound of my Aurisonics Custom tips, no competition at all.  The Meleec tips do open up the sound though, compared to at least a dozen other tips im my collection.  The Meleec tips worked very well on the ASG-1 when I had them.  I can offer tip choices for bassheads on these if needed, because most of the other tips I tried on the CKM500 really increased bass response, way too much for my taste, like I said IMO, I got the right amount of bass with the Meleec M9's, more balanced with the rest of the sound......too much bass/midbass can kill the mids, the way hear them!

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,046 of 1,921
Quote:
Meelec tips are always my go to tips for dynamic driver IEMs followed by UE single flanges for certain phones that want to breathe even more.  

I agree on the Meelec Anax, but the TF 10 tips I have on hand just emphasized the bass to a huge extent, I would consider the UE SF tips that I have basshead tips on the CKM500!

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,047 of 1,921
I ordered them tips. Those seem to be a better way to go over complys. Much more variety too. http://www.meelec.com/category_s/377.htm

I ordered this kit: http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11-bk-mee.htm
I also ordered a 3 pack of the balanced sound bi-flange tips. I think i like the medium size short bi-flange from the kit in my link the best so far. They sound just like the balanced sound tips but are shorter and more comfy. I would get the big kit in the link i just put up, the selection is huge. After im sure im settled on these im going to email them and ask if i can get a big pack of these medium short bi-flange tips, just to have extras.

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,048 of 1,921
I ended up with both myself. Will try them all out. Only cost me $17 or so shipped. Good deal imo. I like the variety. I should be able to find some that will work well with my other earphones too. Lol. All of a sudden Meelec sees a surge in tip sales.

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,049 of 1,921
I ended up with both myself. Will try them all out. Only cost me $17 or so shipped. Good deal imo. I like the variety. I should be able to find some that will work well with my other earphones too.

My order came to $21, i paid for faster shipping since Im impatient. Its worth it for the difference i am hearing.

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,050 of 1,921
Quote:

I'm going to try them with my sony hybrids. Maybe it'll get better. But i'm using AT's size 3 and it just sounds okay, it's not good enough for me, I don't know. I was so used to EX500's astounding soundstage that it just feels lacking. I'll end up getting used to it if it does not get better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back