The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #751 of 1,921
Well I should be somewhat angry because these have pretty much ruined perfectly good CKM earphones for me. What I mean is. This road to this thread was one that was interesting. It all started with the CKM50s for $25 then it lead to the CKM55. Well I couldn't stop there might as well get the CKM33.. And then I decided to get the CKM77s. Almost a month later the CKM99 goes on sale on Amazon for $99. Then these CKM500 just throws a wrench in the whole order of things. Now my older CKM earphones get no time. Geeze this hobby.. I do like to throw on the CKM77 and the CKM99 once in a while but why mess around with the appetizers when I have the main course right here..
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #752 of 1,921
Hey guys,

I've just read the whole thread and I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm planning to get some new IEMs with iPhone controls, my budget is $150 . I was just about to buy the shure se215 plus the iphone cable, but after reading this thread, I'm not sure anymore.

Can anyone who has used both the se215 and the ckm500 hive his opinion??

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #754 of 1,921
@fjara

My decision was between the se215's and these ckm500's. I can't recall exactly where, but I was given the impression that the cks77's were somewhat superior and more fun than the se215's which seem to be more neutral, from what I've read. Then the comparison between these ckm500's and the cks77's was brought up, and I came to the conclusion that for my specific music preference, which is very varied, I would prefer the ckm500's over the cks77's which are more bass oriented, since these ckm500's have significantly better highs and mids that the ckm77's and don't lack in the bass range either. I just purchased the ckm500 from cdjapan for $74 including EMS shipping, which is about half of what you'd spend on the se215's with the iPhone cable accessory.

Btw, these can also be purchased on ebay from an user that sells the ckm500i version which include the iPhone controls. It will be about $100 with EMS shipping.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #755 of 1,921
Quote:
Hey guys,

I've just read the whole thread and I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm planning to get some new IEMs with iPhone controls, my budget is $150 . I was just about to buy the shure se215 plus the iphone cable, but after reading this thread, I'm not sure anymore.

Can anyone who has used both the se215 and the ckm500 hive his opinion??

Thanks!

I guess it all comes down to personal tastes, but I briefly owned the SE215 and they were just okay.  There was nothing really special about their sound, at least to me.  They did not offend, but they did not excite me either, so I returned them.   Also, I found the Shures terribly uncomfortable.  The CKM500, on the other hand, is the most comfortable IEM I have used - it fits my ears perfectly.  

With the CKM500 it was love at first listen.    I don't think I will be selling these unless it is to gather funds for something much more expensive....and even then I would have to think about it twice.  The TF10s I just received are more precise, yet the CKM500s are perhaps more fun. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #760 of 1,921
After 5hrs+ of nonstop music play at my normal volume (which I'd imagine is a little higher than a normal person's level) of light vocals of Michael Jackson to some heavy trance and I'd say the sibilance has gone down A LOT. There is still some left, I'm guessing they'll even out with 5 more hours of regular burn in.

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #761 of 1,921
Quote:
Just wanted to ask others...how long it took for the sibilance to die down a bit..??

You should have no sibilance. The only way sibilance is going to happen is if you have a bad sound seal or badly recorded tunes. Very important you get the right seal in your ears. And also agreed with the burn in. My pair has over 300 plus hours as they get used about every day and they have no sibilance unless the recording was not a good one. 

The highs are very controlled on these earphones while very much extended and refined..You guys should have heard the older CKM earphones. Believe me, the highs you guys are hearing is not your average sounding highs even for AT. That will be more and more evident with more use/burn.

There is a difference in peaky uncontrolled sharp highs vs controlled cleanly defined highs. These CKM500 represent the latter. There are many guys on headfi that have a preference for one side of the spectrum over the other. Usually the bass end is what is favored as that would represent the fun factor. And for the detailed guys the treble,mids.. These have all of it.  Which again is easier said than done. The reason why the sound tuning on these particular earphones represent much refinement is because they have such a complete sound. Many if not most earphones are lacking on one aspect or another.. Not enough bass. not enough treble. Not enough stage,  not enough mids or too thin sounding or too much of one part of sound and not enough of the others.

Even the most highly regarded earphones have issues as no matter how they are tuned there is always some aspect that is lacking and the CKM500 is not perfect by any means but they do so many things right for once. That is what is truly great about these. And on the cheap. That is just a win win combo.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #762 of 1,921
Thanks....I have noticed this very afternoon they are now settling in a lot better...I do have lug holes you can put freeways through...I think I'll leave them running for a few days, then have another listen.....I'm now using comply t-400's and they have also helped....remind me to thank my dad for that genetic blessing! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #763 of 1,921
I love complys.. I will definitely give the thumbs up on the sound using complys. Sounds great..Wear them CKM500s with pride cus I will tell you what. Where I am at. I think I am the only person in all of Colorado that has a CKM500. Rare yes. If I was to see another person wearing them I would without hesitation stop them and introduce myself as I will know they are headfiers. Lol! 

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #764 of 1,921
I must agree with you on the Comply's they have rescued me on a number of occasions...and improved the whole sound...only recently used them and glad I did...the CKM's have been on the go for about 8 hours now today and I'm starting to see them open up a bit...replay certain tracks to see what happens, etc...these really are the Mutt's Nut's....They are definitely 2-3 levels better than the soundmagic e10's I loved so much, and they trounced over the Senny's CX300 and 400's...but for $30 (what I paid for the E10's...), they are damn good, but not in the same league as the CKM's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back