The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jul 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,906 of 1,921
CKS99 will isolate better but both should perform well for your music preference. The CKM500s will have more treble energy so if you like more bite to your guitars I would get the CKM500s but these being semi open they don't isolate all that well. The CKM500 will have a cleaner sound over the CKS99s. The CKS99s will be more bass heavy so if that is your main preference I would do that. The CKM500s will have more of a versatile sound over the CKS99.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #1,907 of 1,921
CKS99 will isolate better but both should perform well for your music preference. The CKM500s will have more treble energy so if you like more bite to your guitars I would get the CKM500s but these being semi open they don't isolate all that well. The CKM500 will have a cleaner sound over the CKS99s. The CKS99s will be more bass heavy so if that is your main preference I would do that. The CKM500s will have more of a versatile sound over the CKS99.

Hi Dsnuts,

Awesome feedback, actually I am reading the entire thread and I can't find any good comparison between the two.

I guess I will get CKM500 first but I am loving the CKS99 so most likely I'll get one too...:)

Thanks!

Unwired

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,908 of 1,921
Apparently the CKR5 replaces the CKM500. It's also a bit cheaper. I took a listen at the shop today. I havent listened to the CKM500 in a while since mine broke, but they seem similar in sound signature but I did think the bass was a tad bit too much. (well, I guess I've been used to the SHE3590 and CK323M sound signatures recently). I tested out too many headphones and was kind of lost. The IM70 sounded great but I considered it a tad expensive and I'm not used to the over-ear fit. (a few days ago at another store, I was able to compare them with the IM50, the IM70 was definitely clearer). The person working there suggested the Denon AH-C560 for me. The demo unit I heard was a bit congested but the mids sounded nice. It was a bit different after I bought them as I find the soundstage rather large. They do, however, retail for about 90$...

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #1,910 of 1,921
well that makes sense as it's also cheaper than the CKM500 was, and I found them way too bassy. How is the CKR7? Such a shame they took down the CKM500 in many stores in Taiwan. Got the Denon AH-C560 instead and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,911 of 1,921
My friend Dannybai owns the CKR-7 and he is ok with the sound but was not blown away by it. i am sure it is better than the gimpy CKR-5 ( Total disappointment)  The CKR-9 however I am most certainly willing to bet people will be blown away by the sonics. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,912 of 1,921
My CKM500 arrived today. I purchased them due to this thread. They're my 1st pair of decent IE headphones as I usually listen to my full-size headphones (AKG-K240S and ATH-PRO700SV). I LIKE THEM.
ksc75smile.gif

I'm listening with an old iPhone thru a Fiio E11 amp and it sounds very good. I wish the cord was longer as I taped the extension cable to the main cable. I'm 6'2" and a 1/2 meter cord just don't cut it. I hope this connection doesn't cause a problem in the future. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,913 of 1,921
  My CKM500 arrived today. I purchased them due to this thread. They're my 1st pair of decent IE headphones as I usually listen to my full-size headphones (AKG-K240S and ATH-PRO700SV). I LIKE THEM.
ksc75smile.gif

I'm listening with an old iPhone thru a Fiio E11 amp and it sounds very good. I wish the cord was longer as I taped the extension cable to the main cable. I'm 6'2" and a 1/2 meter cord just don't cut it. I hope this connection doesn't cause a problem in the future. 

Happy listening my friend. Give them a good workout and they will improve in sound quality. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #1,914 of 1,921
  How does IM50's soundstage compare? I would like something with a bit more soundstage.

i don't know about IM50 but brainwavz R1 has a hell of a soundstage

guys check out the ostry kc06. i have both kc06 and ckm500, the kc06 is just on another league. wayy better

there is a lot of models which is better than ckm500. only positive side of this earphone is the soundstage-mids which is wide enough. there is nothing spectacular about treble and bass quality. i have no idea what people talking about here. they should get something from koss, even the cheapest ruk30 is better than this. buying ckm500 was one of the very bad mistakes of mine. people spent $70-80 for this ? this has to be a joke...

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #1,915 of 1,921
  i don't know about IM50 but brainwavz R1 has a hell of a soundstage

My CKM500 broke a few months ago and at a headphone shop in Taiwan I got the Denon AH-C560 instead. They aren't very well-known as they were released in 2010 but still sold in Taiwan. The bass isn't quite as tight and the lower mids are quite warm as a result while the treble more laid-back but perhaps a bit more detailed. Soundstage is very wide (like the CKM500, these have small air vents) though depth is average. Overall the listening experience can be described as warm and immersive.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #1,916 of 1,921
Hi, I just have a few questions related to CKM500. I personally have CKM50 right now, and I really really like how it sounds with Sony Hybrid Tips, but I've been meaning to find something with a similar sound signature, or an upgrade. So I'm just wondering:

1) As an upgrade to CKM50, what's a better choice--CKM500, one of the CKR's or one of the CKN's? For the CKR's, Dsnuts suggested CKR9, but what's the top performer for the buck in the CKN series that I can also consider? The new model codes are confusing me a bit, but with the older models I tend to like CKM's more than CKS's, as they're too hollow and bass-y to me. I'm also considering Ostry's KC06 / KC06A since it was also mentioned, and seems to be in a similar price point.

2) Has anyone tried using JVC's spiral tips on the CKM50 and CKM500 before? Was it mindblowing? :D Maybe someone can compare them to the Sony hybrid tips?

3) In lieu with #2, how big are the JVC spiral tip sizes compared to the different sizes of the Audio Technica stock tips or the Sony hybrid tips? Maybe someone can show a picture for better comparison? I'm really worried that I might buy the wrong JVC spiral tips size, as they sell the tips per size in bulk rather than package different sizes together.

I plan to visit Japan soon, and would love to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,917 of 1,921
I got my ckm 500 for almost 2 years, I still enjoy its quality so far, only one thing pissed me off is its isolation.
With small ears, I use s or m (slightly discomfort) normally. I tried tipsComply t500 to help isolation, just far too large for me and not really improving.
Any suggestions for me to improve its isolation?

Beside, have been considered getting one same level pairs with a bit lower budget. Is there any better choice? isolation is important to me.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,918 of 1,921
  I'm also considering Ostry's KC06 / KC06A since it was also mentioned, and seems to be in a similar price point.

kc06a's bass production a lot like to ckm500, which means low on deep frequencies. soundstage is also similar, vertical and long in height. not much of a depth. it is like the treble improved and overall fine tuned version of ckm500.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,920 of 1,921

Users who are viewing this thread

Back