The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jan 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,891 of 1,921
After reading this forum, I just had to get my hands on the CKM500.  I haven't burned it in yet, but I am pretty disappointed with this ear phone.  The high notes sound very harsh and artificial.  It's like they forcibly increase the volume on the high notes.  I really prefer my CKM55 over the CKM500, but I will give it a couple of weeks and see if they improve with burn in.

They sound better with some amount of burn in

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,892 of 1,921
I do think they have a somewhat "metallic" signature even after burn-in. It does settle down but the highs are still rather "thick". The mids and bass is where it's at.

I have one of AT's lower end IEM's, the CK323M, and I think its highs are more detailed and less sibilant, but its mids and mid-bass are deeply recessed. Soundstage is more congested than the CKM500 but I am still burning them in. Its cable still has microphonics but it's the springy, tangle-free type. More of a headphone for the looks =/

Unfortunately I've lost my CKM500iS but I do still have a CKM500, but I am not sure what is a good upgrade for a reasonable price. A lot of people recommend CKN70 because it sounds better but I would like something with a better cable and better noise isolation.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #1,893 of 1,921
I do think they have a somewhat "metallic" signature even after burn-in. It does settle down but the highs are still rather "thick". The mids and bass is where it's at.

I have one of AT's lower end IEM's, the CK323M, and I think its highs are more detailed and less sibilant, but its mids and mid-bass are deeply recessed. Soundstage is more congested than the CKM500 but I am still burning them in. Its cable still has microphonics but it's the springy, tangle-free type. More of a headphone for the looks =/

Unfortunately I've lost my CKM500iS but I do still have a CKM500, but I am not sure what is a good upgrade for a reasonable price. A lot of people recommend CKN70 because it sounds better but I would like something with a better cable and better noise isolation.

I consider the new IM50 an awesome upgrade to the ckm500. Better mids and highs, with a much better cable.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #1,895 of 1,921
I was about to skip trying out ATH-CKM300. Glad that I considered trying it out first. I personally prefer how it sounds. I think it has the same clean sounding mids and engaging highs but I find its bass to be a bit tighter though it doesn't extend that much deep.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,896 of 1,921
I consider the new IM50 an awesome upgrade to the ckm500. Better mids and highs, with a much better cable.

How does IM50's soundstage compare? I would like something with a bit more soundstage. I haven't listened to my Phillips SHE3580 in a long time, but now I found its soundstage a lot larger than CKM500 (though it has a more V-shaped sound and not as refined).

Also what happened to the CKM700 that Dsnuts previously described? Was it just a rumor? Will it still be released or has it been replaced by the IM series?

May 13, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #1,901 of 1,921
  How durable are the ckm500 

If you store them well, they are quite durable. If they sit in your pockets too much and you accidentally add pressure (ie. sit on them by mistake) the housing can break. I krazy-glued them back together.

Lost my first pair, second pair seems to be running low on bass on the left side, I am not sure what is wrong, probably some water damage in the past (i remember a few of my other IEMs being damaged temporarily by water but i don't recall this one).

Currently I'm back to using HTC's IEMs (aka the MAX300), which have MASSIVE bass. However, they are quite dynamic/fun sounding and the soundstage and instrumental separation is great considering the "price" (they come free with some HTC phones or sold for dirt cheap prices online). I also use the CK323M but it's a more average IEM, less sibilant and better treble than the CKM500, but not as much sub-bass and mids are recessed.

May 13, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,903 of 1,921
I am gonna put my CKM500!on sale. 6months old, used for around 50hrs or less.
They are very great sounding iems, the only reason I am selling them is because i am upgrading to T-Peos H300 and i am pretty sure I am not gonna to use both. (50 hrs or less in 6 months tells the story).

I have phones, carry case, and dealer's receipt. Make me an offer if you are interested. I live in Toronto.

May 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,904 of 1,921
Turns out the plug without the extension cord is broken, need to twirl it around a few times for it to work but the volume is still occasionally goes low on the right side :frowning2:

Back to using CK323M and HTC IEMs :frowning2:

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,905 of 1,921
Hi Head-Fi Community,

I am divided between CKM500 or CKS99. I mostly listen to Metal, TripHop and some deep house. I am just an ordinary user and I am happy with my current CKM55 but it is beginning to deteriorate. Any advice is gladly appreciated.

~ Unwired

Users who are viewing this thread

Back