The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Mar 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,201 of 1,323
The drawbacks of this player. Yes it is Sonys newest and much like other Sony DAPs they do not use external cards which forces you to get their biggest player in this case the Z1060 is a 32 gig player. Able to play FLAC via downloaded players on Android market place. They use 8 different sound tech on this particular unit. Whatever it does. I am converting some movies and I will get online soon to try out some apps but for the cost I am extremely happy with this. There is a thread on them here on headfi where I read about these. There is a Japanese version that has a 64gig internal but no such player here in the US.

I will have to load some emulators and some games here and try them out. But one thing for sure. I have never heard a player with the sound quality of this player. It is nuts!. The sound is just massive and is a perfect match for the CKS77.  Heck every earphone I tried on this sounds great but the CKS77. Just throws it to a new level. No amp needed..

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,203 of 1,323
Hey Dsnuts

I have the CKM50s and was wondering how the bass on the CKS77 would compare. If the amount of bass on the CKMs is x how many times x would the bass on the CKS77 be. the numerical value would help me get a good idea. My choices are narrowed down to CKS77 and the Atrio MG7. If the CKS is a lot better in all categories except bass quantity then I can always buy the ZO which I was planning to do anyway.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,204 of 1,323
Here is where this gets interesting.
Totally dubbed just got a pair of tributes he now wants to sell off his atrios. Just based on this info
Alone tells me all i need to know about the atrios. I cant tell you how the atrios will compare to the cks77 but i can tell you i would sell my tributes before i even consider thinking about selling my cks77. I will do a comparo against the ckm50 tomarrow.

Truth is i would never sell my cks77s. No way no how

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #1,205 of 1,323
I am late to the party, but I wanted to find something for portable use, and after seeing all the things people have said on this thread I bought em' can't wait to hear these baby's! Got them in cherry red by the way they look really nice!

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #1,207 of 1,323
There is a reason why the CKS77 was on full display on this years CES.. And another reason why Audio Technica does not have a CKS99.. Reason.? I can safely tell you guys the CKS77 has a huge amount of refinements that other earphones only wish they had. They have perfected the double chamber sound with these.. Versatile and not just for bass heavy genres. I listen to literally every type of genre and these are outstanding for all of it..I am very confident that the CKS77 is actually a more refined and honed version of the older CKS90. I think I can add the word versatile to describe these. More than any other earphone I have actually.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,208 of 1,323
I have the Panasonic HTF-600, based on dsnuts' positive reviews of it, and it has over 80 hours of burn-in... it's awesome.  dynamic, spacious, impactful.  (Thanks, dsnuts!).
Given this, I think I'm gonna have to get the CKS77 
bigsmile_face.gif

There's an outside chance i might try the CKM1000 but the 4.5x price difference might deter me.
dsnuts: any chance you're gonna get it?

​

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,209 of 1,323
Man I would love to try a CKM1000. There is a used anniversary edition the CKW1000.. A woodied version being sold on the for sale forums. BUT..That is one of those costly luxury items that just plain and simple will not be worth the cost of admission.

To put it in perspective. You can buy a new CKS77, CKM99  and a new Sony Z1050 16 gig DAP. For the cost of one CKM1000.

I took a wild guess as to how they might sound and if I am correct. Those will probably be one of the best sounding earphones on the planet.

The answer would be yes I certainly want one but will I buy one? I don't think so. Unless I see one of those for a sale for around $200-$300 I am very happy with my higher end CKM and CKS earphones.

My guess is that the CKM1000 will sound more similar to the CKS77 than the CKM99. Just a guess but it is based on the deep chamber design that is on them. The woodied CKW1000 will sound even better i suspect.

If you liked the sound on the HTF600 these CKS77 while not a budget item will astound. They have a crazy high end sound that does everything with authority. For the guys that follow what I do. I know everyone is used to me finding those cheaper great headphones and such.

These CKS77 follow suit. I think they are a fantastic value at what AT is asking for them.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,211 of 1,323
Anyone have a pair of the medium CKM50 silicone tips they aren't using?

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,212 of 1,323
I've not been on head-fi in almost 2 years. While I was active in the forums, I also looked for bang for the buck items, inexpensive mods, etc, etc. For example, I was a champion for Indeed's G2 and I reviewed several of Brainwavz's awesome iems for Raz and commented on Meelectronics' original M6 and M9. I also argued for weeks over my love for my S4s, PL30s, PL50s. I had at least 8 sets of IEMs at that time... Most are still around here somewhere.

I've come back to look for low $$/ high SQ IEMs for the students in my alternative education program that are mp3 junkies. I've already ordered 2 MEP-933s today and I just ordered a red set of CKM50s off of Amazon for ~ $30 inc expedited shipping.

Great thread, Dsnuts! Keep up the good work. I've got to go check out ljokerl and ClieOS' latest reviews. I'm glad to see that the Olympians are still on the mountain...

Edit: They are in my mailbox as I type this at work... Oh boy! Christmas in April!

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #1,213 of 1,323

Quote:
I've not been on head-fi in almost 2 years. While I was active in the forums, I also looked for bang for the buck items, inexpensive mods, etc, etc. For example, I was a champion for Indeed's G2 and I reviewed several of Brainwavz's awesome iems for Raz and commented on Meelectronics' original M6 and M9. I also argued for weeks over my love for my S4s, PL30s, PL50s. I had at least 8 sets of IEMs at that time... Most are still around here somewhere.

I've come back to look for low $$/ high SQ IEMs for the students in my alternative education program that are mp3 junkies. I've already ordered 2 MEP-933s today and I just ordered a red set of CKM50s off of Amazon for ~ $30 inc expedited shipping.

Great thread, Dsnuts! Keep up the good work. I've got to go check out ljokerl and ClieOS' latest reviews. I'm glad to see that the Olympians are still on the mountain...

Hey great to have senior members of headfi seeing some value in budget stuff. Great post and I am much like you. Love budget stuff. .More value for the dollar is a good thing for sure. Enjoy your new iems and let us know how you find them.. Some like the Mp8320 more. Some like the CKM50 or even the isurus more. It all depends on sound preference I suppose. But all at a good price, it don't hurt too much to find out.. Happy listening.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,214 of 1,323
I just picked these up for 30 bucks from amazon, and they are pretty great. Between the EPH 100 and the CKM-50, the thing that glares out at me is what a profligate gouge job so many of the so called high end phones are. These things make the IE8's, and the MTPG's that I bought seem like the biggest rip offs imagine-able. These, for me at least, fit better,  and are made better than both of those over priced behemoths. The sound quality is right there with both of those to my ears. The 200-350 dollar difference between these so called elite products and these is hard to justify anymore. I think the phenomena of price bias, and hype is the only thing that holds those crazy prices up anymore. All this stuff is being manufactured for the same few bucks in China, I am so done paying four hundred plus for this stuff.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #1,215 of 1,323
Very interesting comment Billyjoe. When I found that my MMDTs was actually a lesser sounding iem to my $100 CKS77s. I was completely surprised. Somehow I was expecting more from a earphone that sells for $300 on Amazon. What I got was a free CD a bunch of monster tips and 3 cases. Lol!

Ya I didn't mention this yet but the housing fell apart on my tributes and I had to add a dab of super glue to put the housing back together. The funny thing is now it is actually better then when I got them..Yes this would officially be my last Monster purchase and I don't care how nice they look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back