The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Mar 18, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #1,157 of 1,323

Quote:
Fake. I lost an auction for the same phones from that seller and he sent me a second chance offer. I was suspicious why he has multiple pairs, so I did some research. Turns out the CKS90 LTD's were limited editions that came in red or blue, and never black. Also, in the last picture there is red lettering on left side when it should be blue:

Thanks a lot for the heads up. I was extremely close to buying these.

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,158 of 1,323
also, regarding CKM-33, the tips that come with them seem to be a little uncomfortable in my ears...should i try the COMFY ones
everyone recommends?...also, people around me noticed they could hear the music i was playing while listening with the CKM-33...
it's a little weird cause it never happened with the Sennheisers I had before...and I didn't have the music cranked...it was some jazzy stuff
playing too...like a Woody Shaw/Herbie Hancock album...not hip hop or trance or something...

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,159 of 1,323
Hmm It doesn't sound like you are getting a good fit on those. They shouldn't emit sound at all as they are closed back earphones. There is no visible signs of an open back or vents in the back of the earphones. I would try whatever tips you have that will fit on them. Getting a good comfort seal is a priority. I don't think the stock tips are bad at all. They are as good as any Sony Hybrids that I have used. You can also try Sony Hybrids with foams underneath for extra isolation. Or any foam type tips might work as well.  Try whatever you got. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #1,160 of 1,323
Just got these CKM50 and tried them for a day. hmm.. Out of the box the bass seems too much to my liking.. Wonder if they will ease out a little after burn in?

Also got the Monoprice ones to try (been following ur threads Dsnuts~), both are really different, and I'm liking the Monoprice ones more and more.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #1,161 of 1,323
The sound signature on both are different. This hobby is all about different sounding stuff. The bass does tighten up a bit and will sound smoother with burn but for the most part these are a bassy iem on the fun sound signature. For acoustic and vocals the MP8320 are awesome with some Sony Hybrids.. You should try your CKM50 tips on your MP8320. Might work.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,162 of 1,323

Quote:
The sound signature on both are different. This hobby is all about different sounding stuff. The bass does tighten up a bit and will sound smoother with burn but for the most part these are a bassy iem on the fun sound signature. For acoustic and vocals the MP8320 are awesome with some Sony Hybrids.. You should try your CKM50 tips on your MP8320. Might work.

actually I tried all kinda tips. Started with all the big ones/tri-flange etc. Finally found one which I'm using now, surprisingly smaller tips. Smaller, slightly longer, reach into my ears nicely.

Let me burn these CKM50 in and see how it goes.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #1,163 of 1,323
dsnuts,

a little update for you. I recently bought a usb dac headphone amp. the sony xba-1 sounds so different. :)  compare to my iriver e30 and ipod nano (6th). guess I need a portable amp to drive it to make it sound great.

matrix rip usb dac (has 2 headphone out, phone 1 for low impedence headphones, phone 2 for high impedence headphones) - unmodified, but I will upgrading the capacitors on it soon.

xba-1 (phone1) - sounds amazing compare with before, and actually have siblance on some tracks now.
xba-1 (phone2) - absolutely a mess and echoy
xba-1 (iriver, nano) - not much mid to high freqency. warm

ckm77, sounds about the same for all my sources. and virtually no siblance to my ears on all the tracks I tested which previously had slight siblance. Guess burn-in of over 100 hours does change the sound slightly. And also your recommedation on using a slightly bigger size ear bud probably help as well :)

conclusion,
the ckm77 is less source dependent which makes it a great portable headphone :)

xba-1, definitely souce dependent in my case. it may also explains why some of the reviews on it are so different.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #1,165 of 1,323
No doubt the CKM77 is technically more superior of the 2..I listen to them with different music. CKS77 for bassy tunes is just unreal.. Anybody that owns the CKS77 need to check out a movie using them. It will shock you. Lol! The CKM77 for lighter music and jazz is crazy on these things.

So I figured out something over the weekend that kinda surprised me a bit.

I did an A/B against the CKM50 and the CKM99 is closer to that sound but way more refined especially in the mids. Even more so than the CKS77. So it is funny how it works out.

CKM33<CKM77   AT house neutral sound. Excellent detailed sound with the best balance in the sound signature for the AT earphones.
CKM50<CKM99   The more and more I hear the CKM99 they are becoming less analytical and more musical. The CKM99 ends up being the combo of the detail on the CKM77. The bass end of the CKM50 a bit less but about the same impact overall better quality bass on the CKM99. Similar sound staging to the CKS77.  More fuller smooth mids of the CKM50. In the end sounds like the upgraded refined CKM50. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,168 of 1,323
Mar 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #1,169 of 1,323
How does the CKM50 compare to the Brainwavz M4 in sound quality? The M4 is just $28 on Amazon right now.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,170 of 1,323
So I would like to thank my friend Ri-Toast that flowed me his TF10 at his cost for this very interesting Comparo! Yes because out of my own curiosity. How does the much vaunted 3 BA driver TF10 compare to something like a CKM77?. Well we are about to find out.

On this corner! The UE TF10. These are the closest thing that look like your grandpas old twisted fingers that stick out of your ears.  I am lucky as I have normal sized average ears so far I have been lucky with fit on universals. These things are polarizing I think just about every headfier has an opinion on these things. For those that don't know these also happen to be my very first BA type earphones. I had to experience them for myself.

On this corner! Yes these are my CKM77s. I will get to the CKM99s later but for now these 2 fight off. Why? These have some similarities that I would like to share. It is no secret that I have been telling everyone on this thread what I feel has the best detail of all the CKM earphones.. These are it. Yes even ever so slightly over the CKM99 because these maintain a true balanced sound and is more neutral over the CKM99.

I have been listening to both this morning and I have to say while the TF10 are very capable earphones. They don't best these CKM earphones at all. I think many know that dynamics have much better bass response over BAs.. Not only the bass but I don't find any aspect in the sound that sets these TF10s above these little known CKM77s.

Here is the shocker. In detail department. I have read many a post saying the TF10s have a slight V shape sound.. I don't think so. Not much. A/B in some Earth Wind and Fire. The clarity and detail winner here? The CKM77s. The sound difference between the 2 is the presentation. The TF10 has a bit forward mid section compared to the CKM77s and on the same tunes there is a bit of congestion in the vocals on the TF10s. Which was very surprising. This is not a huge deal breaker as I find the TF10s very capable of clean vocals but compared to the CKM77s it lacks a bit of clarity in the mids. Which again was very surprising to me. 

I am hearing highs are extended well on both earphones. I would say about equal actually but it is the bass end that was again surprising. The bass is better on the CKM77 both in quality and a bit more in quantity which I find very surprising as I have heard how the bass was very capable on the TF10s. I don't find the bass to be nothing more but neutral level. The CKM77 bass end is better and overall have more fullness and reaches deeper over the TF10.. Sound staging I think is where the TF10 are nice and is the one area the beats the CKM phones but not by much.

I think the TF10s for the gold box deal during Christmas is a good deal but if I payed the $400 they are asking for these on Logitec web site. I would be pissed.!
This is just my opinion on them. I actually like them for being very capable and clean sounding and they certainly don't do any one thing wrong but I find my dynamic earphones as a better value over these. Some how I was expecting these to be all that and bag of tricks I didn't feel like I was getting a clear upgrade over the earphones I have. Especially in the bass department. No comparison to something like my CKS77 or even the CKM99.

I know there are customs with BAs and a Dynamic for bass. That makes sense to me. This comparo just made me realize how capable the CKM77s truly are. 

Winner!=. Both are capable and sound great. If your going for detail in your music I still have nothing that beats the CKM77..Now for guys that are sensitive to brighter sounding earphones I would suggest something like a CKS77 instead. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back