The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Feb 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #796 of 1,323

Quote:

My curiosity got the best of me. I have always thought these were interesting looking from a design stand point. Now if the sound can only match the way they look. We will see... Interested in your take on the 2 phones.. Since my CKM77 sound identical to my A900X. A flagship AT dynamic should come close to the sound signature of a higher end AT fullsized was my thinking.

Ok. So I've been burning in my new amp and cables for more than 5 hours now. The amp, Audio-Gd C2.2, already had 150 hours before shipping. I'm using old power cables, but I'm using the new ACSS cables (if that matters to anyone that is).

Firstly, my impressions of the headphones from my previous system has changed. The system overall now has "less" bass, more integrity, better seperation and more control all over. And my desktop system with the CKM99 actually sounds better than with my DAP now. haha.

Anyways, the W1000X and CKM99 imo are pretty different. They excel in different genres and their presentations differ too. I'm not an experienced reviewer but here are my opinions.

Type of music I find myself reaching out to the W1000X for: jazz and some more vocal-centric pop
Type of music I find myself reaching out to the CKM99 for: higher energy music, less-good recordings

Presentation on the W1000X: very neutral to me, superb instrument separation
Presentation on the CKM99: very fun, obviously lesser soundstage

Bass on the W1000X: very precise and pretty fast. Deep enough for me/
Bass on the CKM99: very close to the W1000X;s but with more impact. Starts to sound a tad bloated when the volume is raised.

Vocals on the W1000X: wonderful......
Vocals on the CKM99: has some glare in comparison, but not apparent in every single track. Worth nothing that I've never heard the glare when listening on the DAP 

Highs on the W1000X: AT house sound. What more to say?
Highs on the CKM99: AT house sound too. But with a little more "splash" than the W1000X. Very very slightly sibilant on some tracks at higher volume (I actually listen at a level most consider loud)

All in all, the CKM99 sounds like the playful adolescent younger sister of the well-mannered post-pubescent W1000X.It's also more congested and has poorer soundstage (as expected from a comparison between a IEM and full-sized phones). However the CKM99's draw is it's portable and synergy with my DAP. It just sounds much better with the Iriver SRS Wow (toned down) EQ which masks more of the recordings' shortcomings and adds a colour that complements the CKM99, Both phones sound like their housing. Being a sucker for all things "classic", I prefer the wood over the titanium. But at a fraction of the price, portability and isolation, the CKM99 is a wonderful alternative when I happen to be taking the public transport.

Is it worth the premium above the lower CKM models? That will depend on taste. I don't own any other CKM phones to compare to but the build quality (and heft) of the CKM99 does make it seem worth it for me.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #797 of 1,323
Thanks for your comparo there aspenx.  I think one of these days I will have to get a CKM99. The CKM iem I truly want to try out is the CKM1000. I am thinking those will be even closer to your W1000X. The CKM99s been somewhat of a mystery. Pretty much overlooked much like the rest of the CKM family. I agree with you how convenience and portability of these earphones make them the go to for quality sounds on the go. I use my CKM77s the most now a days and rotate with the CKM50 and a few others but I have to admit. Once you have that higher quality sound on these CKM earphones it is tough to go to the lower end stuff.. That being said. I am starting to slowly sell off many of my earphones that eventually lead me to get the CKM77s as I just don't use them any more. 

I have 3 new earphones coming to me so stay tuned. I am looking forward to the CKS77 as well as the new Philips SHE5105. As an added measure I got a good deal on the new Pioneer SE-CL721.. I will throw impressions of the CKS77 here but the other 2 will be on the isurus thread. I have plans to eventually get one of the New Sony XBA earphones as well. Kinda not sure if I want to get the 3 or the 4. hmm. Decisions, decisions. I think I will wait n see what the word is out on those 2 before I bite. I look forward to the newer earphones.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #798 of 1,323
Any chance you could get the Philips SHH3580 the with-mic version of the SHE3580?  I still find these to sound best out of my current collection (better than the SHE3580).  Most balanced sound, best sounding mids.

Here's a thought.  The CKM50 has little sound holes in the middle of the driver next to the eartip and under the driver housing.  Taping over these should tame the bass.  I don't have them with me to try out right now though.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 18, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #799 of 1,323
I believe you Joe and I was going to get them as I am a fan of the Philips earphones that was before these new ones were slated to come out. The SHE5105. Clear natural sound is how Philips describe these.  If these have the same sound signature of their full sized counter parts these will be the best ear phones Philips have come out with in a while. I will have these to try out here in a few days. If these turn out to be yet another too much bass earphone I will send them packing and just order a SHH3580 instead and call it a day but somehow with Philips new investment in their newer line of CityScape collection that is already catching some buzz for best headphones under $100 at the CES. I suspect these will be better than maybe them new CKS77s I just got as well. 

I hope so it will be a nice surprise at half the cost. The specs look nice on these and I think they are using the same driver material Mylar dome that is also in the SHE3580 but bigger at 10mm.  So this will be interesting. It all comes down to how well they tuned these. I am encouraged as Philips has been producing earphone after earphone for the last several years and they can only get better with each newer version is what I am thinking.Will report very soon as these are on the way to me..

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #800 of 1,323

Quote:
Thanks for your comparo there aspenx.  I think one of these days I will have to get a CKM99. The CKM iem I truly want to try out is the CKM1000. I am thinking those will be even closer to your W1000X. The CKM99s been somewhat of a mystery. Pretty much overlooked much like the rest of the CKM family. I agree with you how convenience and portability of these earphones make them the go to for quality sounds on the go. I use my CKM77s the most now a days and rotate with the CKM50 and a few others but I have to admit. Once you have that higher quality sound on these CKM earphones it is tough to go to the lower end stuff.. That being said. I am starting to slowly sell off many of my earphones that eventually lead me to get the CKM77s as I just don't use them any more. 

I have 3 new earphones coming to me so stay tuned. I am looking forward to the CKS77 as well as the new Philips SHE5105. As an added measure I got a good deal on the new Pioneer SE-CL721.. I will throw impressions of the CKS77 here but the other 2 will be on the isurus thread. I have plans to eventually get one of the New Sony XBA earphones as well. Kinda not sure if I want to get the 3 or the 4. hmm. Decisions, decisions. I think I will wait n see what the word is out on those 2 before I bite. I look forward to the newer earphones.

I don't think any of the CKM models can come close to the W1000X. You'll have to jump to the balanced armature realm to get close. I've tried the CKM1000 and was underwhelmed. Actually, I wasn't too impressed with the CK10 either, but maybe the CK100 is really a different story.

But of course, like most of us in this thread, I can't afford to part with so much money for IEMs. So I shall refrain from mentioning the CK series (I really like the CK90Pro Mk2 though). 

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #801 of 1,323

Anyone found a good extension cable for the CKM50 (one a little shorter)?

@aspenx do you like the galaxy s II for a source, thinking of selling my iMod and Fiio E11 to get one, will it be THAT much of a downgrade do you think?

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #802 of 1,323

Quote:

@aspenx do you like the galaxy s II for a source, thinking of selling my iMod and Fiio E11 to get one, will it be THAT much of a downgrade do you think?

Ah, I didn't know you came from this thread. I've replied your PM already.

Forgot to add, from what I know, the SGS1 and SGS2 share the same Wolfson DAC chip and supposedly high quality amp section. It has to be "unlocked" through Voodoo. I've only seen people run Voodoo on the SGS1, and not the SGS2. I don't know how great it sounds but flashing a custom ROM didn't sit well with me. My phone is rooted with some hacks, but that's as far as I'll take it, and maybe trying to get ICS and Chrome to work on it. "Out of the box" however, the SGS2 is already a half-decent DAP (except for the battery life if you use it to play music).

Sorry if this post's OT.

Actually, I'd like to comment on the extension cable. The CKM99's extension cable is pretty hefty! Feels solid. No microphonics for me. Only downside is the weight.......

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #803 of 1,323

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know you came from this thread. I've replied your PM already.

Forgot to add, from what I know, the SGS1 and SGS2 share the same Wolfson DAC chip and supposedly high quality amp section. It has to be "unlocked" through Voodoo. I've only seen people run Voodoo on the SGS1, and not the SGS2. I don't know how great it sounds but flashing a custom ROM didn't sit well with me. My phone is rooted with some hacks, but that's as far as I'll take it, and maybe trying to get ICS and Chrome to work on it. "Out of the box" however, the SGS2 is already a half-decent DAP (except for the battery life if you use it to play music).

Sorry if this post's OT.

Actually, I'd like to comment on the extension cable. The CKM99's extension cable is pretty hefty! Feels solid. No microphonics for me. Only downside is the weight.......

Nope, the SGS2 uses a crappy Yamaha chip.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #805 of 1,323
Dsnuts, buddy. Check this out:

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #806 of 1,323

Quote:
Do people think its worth getting the Sony Hybrid Tips for the ckm50? If so do you think these are genuine? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380369960407#ht_3150wt_1396

Thanks allot

I think they're worth it, but I can't confirm. The hybrid tips are really hard to find even in Japan... I couldn't even find them at Sony's flagship store in Ginza! By then, it was too late for me to order through amazon.co.jp because I had to leave the country soon.

The EP-EX10a are NOT original Sony tips. They are from a OEM (as stated already in your link).

However, the reviews for these have been good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380369960407#ht_3150wt_1396

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #807 of 1,323
Go**amn this dsnuts character!!  I'm new to this site, ask advice for IEMs in the noob thread...  so I go to Amazon early tonight and get a starter set of Ety HF3 so I can use it with my iphone when I workout.  Then  I find dsnut's thread on the monoprice, go there, order 2 sets and other cables.  THen I find the Thermaltake Isurus thread, go buy those (only $27 w/ shipping at microcenter, there's even a $10 MIR), and THEN I go back to Amazon and get the SHE-3580s.  Now I find this thread, oh lord, but i have to stop here.  Haha, I can't complain, those are ridiculously low priced IEMs.  I bought SHure e5c's years ago and hate them due to being uncomfortable and not liking the sound too much and a cable that is way too stiff.  Can't go wrong with items so cheap.

During my headphone career I've lost two pairs of Ety-4P's, so if I lose any of these, oh well, it's only $7.11 to $19.99, as opposed to $299 for the etys.

THANK YOU DSNUTS!  

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #808 of 1,323
Lol!!.Hey be thankful my threads consist of stuff that is less than $30. The whole point of my threads was..Yes there is great stuff to be found for cheap. Granted they are hard to find but yes. You caught up quickly. Happy listening..

@eke. Latino acoustic music. Great stuff..Cubano jazz/ salsa music I have been listening to a lot lately myself..

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #809 of 1,323
Lol!!.Hey be thankful my threads consist of stuff that is less than $30. The whole point of my threads was..Yes there is great stuff to be found for cheap. Granted they are hard to find but yes. You caught up quickly. Happy listening..

I am thankful! Thanks so much! Looking forward to the goodies coming this week, the Amazon items will be coming in the next two days but I think that the TT will be a while due to Microcenters slowness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back