The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Jan 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #406 of 1,323

Quote:
I think we would all like to see a picture of your (most likely) enormous collection of headphones/iems 
wink.gif

Do it Dsnuts!

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #407 of 1,323

Quote:
The highs on the CKM77s have nothing to do with shrill..Way more refined and defined than the isurus. Oh by the way I am gonna change that read now as the isurus has nothing to do with these earphones. Guys. These CKM77s are mind blowing. I haven't thought of it before I got these but I am now seriously considering getting a CKM99.

I will say this. For the guys that followed me up till now. If you guys have the isurus I gave it a good guess and there are still very much similarities to these CKM phones in sound signature but I will tell you now. The isurus or any earphone I have don't touch these CKM77s I am listening to now..The SQ is through the roof on these..The CKM50s made my collection on my player sound new.. Once again these CKM77s up the quality of everything I am listening to.. That is how I can tell I am listening to something great. I am just simply blown away by the sounds from this CKM77.

COME ON NUTMAN!!!!!
You change your earphone preferences more times than you change underwear!!!! LOL!!!

Listening right now to my ATH-AD900X ... still hating the earpads!!! ARRGHHH!!!
I'll probably try to recoup some money on eBay or something and sell them later...
(once I'm done comparing them to the Beyers which I'm pretty sure will be more comfortable! :p)

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #408 of 1,323
CKM77s Vs GR07.. Because you asked for it.

Here it goes. The GR07 in my opinion everyone should have one. No excuse. These are imo the standard for what a neutral dynamic should be about. One of the best builds of any dynamic.  Clean detailed. wide enough stage and a sound that does nothing wrong. Some may argue that the lower treble spike might be bothersome but burning them in and using the right tips almost eliminate the only issue on these..These are more neutral than colored in any region and for guys that love a flat neutral sound these would be the better choice for you..Imo out of the 2 the Gr07 is a better deal than the EX600s. Now how does the new kid the CKM77s stack up to these?

It all depends. What I mean by this. It depends on what your sound preference is. A/Bing. These 2 in Jazz. I clearly prefer the CKM77s and here is why.. Little details like the stroke of a brush or timbre that dances on the high hats are clearly better defined on the CKM77s. Not just high hats but all of the sound is better defined. I read a few threads stating how the bigger brother the CKM99s will also compete very well with the GR07 yet there must be only a handful of headfiers that have tried them and even fewer that tried these CKM77s.. These CKM77s again for the price are just astounding. Guys that love detail and imagery in their tunes. I have nothing in my entire collection that does detail better. Well minus the A900X.

A/Bing Alice in Chains. Some rock. Guitars have better crunch, drums have better thump, vocals have better energy.. Again not as flat sounding as the Gr07. High hats can be clearly heard on top of better imagery on the tunes. More vivid sound vs the Gr07.. I know the GR07 boasts many similarities in housing design vs the CKM77s..I am sold by the use of aluminum as a sound dampener in the housing. There is no detail the CKM77s skips on in the tune. The strong suit of the CKM77 has to be its ability to make every part of the sounds stand in its own and not only be clearly heard but also have their own dynamics. Natural reverberation from the high hat hit, the breath of a vocalist that is somehow missed by lesser earphones, the pure authority of the guitar strum. The solid punch from the bass drum. Nothing is missed on the CKM77s.

A/Bing Some Ti. Hiphop. The GR07 does hiphop good enough as the bass is surprisingly full on the GR07. Again the CKM77s has the better tighter bass with just a slight bigger mid bass punch. Sub bass on the CKM is also is more defined and more detailed than the GR07. Some might not like how detailed the CKM77s can be. What I mean is. I think maybe the more neutral sound for longer listening sessions would be easier on the ears. Then again. Once you get used to how detailed everything is on the CKM77s everything else sounds like they have a slight veil on them including the GR07.

So what does the GR07 has over the CKM77s? They are easier to listen to as highs will not be as prominent or as detailed. They have the better cord than the CKM77s. The microphonics on the CKM77 are worse than the GR07 and I have to admit I am not of huge fan of the extra extension with initial short 2 ft design AT has on their earphones. Now where sound is concerned. For guys that like the flatter the better sound. None is better than the GR07 but for me the vivid detailing throughout the spectrum cleaner sounding CKM77s get the nod from me.

The CKM77s have been grossly overlooked by this community and the world as far as I can tell. Anyone that tries one of these and then go back to your older EX600s or GR07 will understand what I am talking about.

Updated 2/6/2012. After much more burn in on the GR07 and change of tips.

So this is interesting twist in the comparisons. I have been burning both the GR07s and I am at around 100 hour mark on them. Well call me silly but the GR07s have actually improved..I initially did this comparo using the foam tips that was provided with the Gr07. I used these tips as there was a very noticeable spike in the lower highs that was tamed immediately using these tips.

I kept the tips on there thinking they were the best. What I didn't realize was these Gr07s need a serious burn in as I have read about from many others. I am still burning them in even more so but in an interesting twist I put on the Hybrid like tips that was provided with the GR07s to be greeted with an improvement across the board.  The thick foams more than tame the highs they hold back the real sound of the GR07.

This was indeed a surprise to me as I know burn in can improve a sound yet I skipped checking these GR07s burn in status as I was so busy with other earphones.. So now the spike is almost gone and with that I can use a normal tip and how the sounds of these have improved to the point were I not longer see the CKM77s detail a clear winner.. I still prefer my CKM77 on my portable rig but I now prefer my GR07 on my desktop.. Eke told me when I bought these that the GR07s improves and impresses over time and that is in fact what has happened for me.

I declare the CKM77=GR07.. A Draw! .Both are excellent. Of course this is just my opinion.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #409 of 1,323

Quote:
COME ON NUTMAN!!!!!
You change your earphone preferences more times than you change underwear!!!! LOL!!!

Listening right now to my ATH-AD900X ... still hating the earpads!!! ARRGHHH!!!
I'll probably try to recoup some money on eBay or something and sell them later...
(once I'm done comparing them to the Beyers which I'm pretty sure will be more comfortable! :p)

You want the same sounds $200 cheaper and the most comfortable with no sweaty ears?  The CKM77s. Just astounding earphones. While I hate the stiffness of the pads it doesn't bother me too much. I am used to it I suppose. Then again if you have a bigger noggin I can see how that can be even more uncomfy.

Just a few I have at my shop. Lol! My earphone collection is starting to be dumb too.

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #410 of 1,323

Quote:
You want the same sounds $200 cheaper and the most comfortable with no sweaty ears?  The CKM77s. Just astounding earphones. While I hate the stiffness of the pads it doesn't bother me too much. I am used to it I suppose. Then again if you have a bigger noggin I can see how that can be even more uncomfy.

[/snip] Just a few I have at my shop. Lol! My earphone collection is starting to be dumb too.

I don't think that "just" and "a few" have any business in that sentence. 
blink.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #411 of 1,323
My friends instead of going to a guitar center to try out phones they come to my shop. lol!!. I have a bunch at home too. My wife thinks I am strange. Why do you need all them headphones? She asks. I tell her. Why do you need all them shoes? It is a better hobby than going out for drinks with the guys so she just lets me have my headphones and earphones.

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #412 of 1,323

Quote:
Live shows... so expensive. Unless you mean the free venues at the park.

While I agree with everything DsNuts says a few posts up....you have to get a feel of how music sounds in a live venue to calibrate your ears.. The sound of a fully plugged in band or how an acoustic Jazz band sounds in a small club or bar.

Free shows in the park are ok but you lose something outside obviously due to the wide open space....it's ok if you enjoy the music....it's better than nothing but not like a smaller venue.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #413 of 1,323
Listening to my CKM50 after a few hours of burn in I'm VERY impressed!!!

They actually didn't sound offensive right out of the box.

These remind me of my ATH-A700.....very close to that signature.

I'm using them with Sony Hybrid LARGE tips as I didn't like the fit I got from the stock tips.....the Hybrids have spoiled me I guess.

Good find DsNuts.
etysmile.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #414 of 1,323
Oh you just got them nice. Ya the bass tightens up a bit and the sound smooths out more so with some burn.. You recognize them highs.? Ya it is the AT signature highs. Now you don't have to have those gigantic cans on your head and you can get their sound signature on the go. Not bad for $25 no?

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #415 of 1,323
Just received the '50's as well.  Definitely an improvement over the Tt's.  Treble is still a little forward for my tastes, perhaps bordering on sibilant in spots, but not even in the same stratosphere as the Tt.  The bass emphasis is nicely done, tight and clean--obvious but not too over powering.  SHE3580 is still my favorite Nuts find among the Tt, CKM50, MP8320 though--probably the best $10 I've ever spent.  At $25 I think the '50's gonna be a keeper, they're of a nice quality with a different enough sound.  I'd feel pretty ripped at original $100 retail though, don't think they're up to that par.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #416 of 1,323
Hi dsnuts , im a new Headfier , sad i found this topic so late .

An ATH-a900 is already on its way here , any recommendations or a short review of em , or what should i have picked instead ?

I am intending to get a pair of IEM for my portable (NW-HD1) too , im having the ATH-CKS55 right now , btw whats the difference between the CKS & CKM in your pov ?

Thanks in advance

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #417 of 1,323

Quote:
Just received the '50's as well.  Definitely an improvement over the Tt's.  Treble is still a little forward for my tastes, perhaps bordering on sibilant in spots, but not even in the same stratosphere as the Tt.  The bass emphasis is nicely done, tight and clean--obvious but not too over powering.  SHE3580 is still my favorite Nuts find among the Tt, CKM50, MP8320 though--probably the best $10 I've ever spent.  At $25 I think the '50's gonna be a keeper, they're of a nice quality with a different enough sound.  I'd feel pretty ripped at original $100 retail though, don't think they're up to that par.

Give it some time on your new CKM50s and burn them in real good. I have a feeling these will grow on you as they did for me. I think guys that liked the sound on the SHE3580 will end up loving these.  Think of these as the upgrade to them in sounds. Once you get used to these going back to the SHE3580. You will understand where those will be lacking..

Quote:
Hi dsnuts , im a new Headfier , sad i found this topic so late .

An ATH-a900 is already on its way here , any recommendations or a short review of em , or what should i have picked instead ?

I am intending to get a pair of IEM for my portable (NW-HD1) too , im having the ATH-CKS55 right now , btw whats the difference between the CKS & CKM in your pov ?

Thanks in advance

A900s are awesome solid pair of cans and will do just about every genre just fine. Big wide stage for closed cans and a solid smooth balanced and detailed sound. Now did you just order the CKM55s? or you have them now. Because if you just ordered them I would return them as those are the worst CKM earphones, you should have just bought a CKM50 instead. You figure the newer CKM55 would be better but in fact is worse. Look up my impressions on the CKM55 on page 15.  And if you dont mind spending a bit more and want an earphone that will almost sound identical to your new A900 headphones the CKM77s at $105 or so is an outstanding value.  If not look for the cheaper CKM50s. Absolutely return the CKM55s. Stay away from those. Seriously.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #418 of 1,323
Thanks for the reply , im actually having the ( ATH-CKS55 ) - google it - bought from japan , thats totally dif from CKM55 the reason i asked you if you have an idea about the difference between the ckM and ckS .

Btw do i need an amp for both phones as ppl told me ?

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #419 of 1,323

Quote:
Thanks for the reply , im actually having the ( ATH-CKS55 ) - google it - bought from japan , thats totally dif from CKM55 the reason i asked you if you have an idea about the difference between the ckM and ckS .

Btw do i need an amp for both phones as ppl told me ?

Oh ok Lol. I thought it was the debockle that was the CKM55.. No I haven't heard the CKS55s but I am gonna guess they have much bass.. I read a few reviews on them and those are all about a bassy sound signature. Similar to v-modas. I haven't tried them but I find my CKM50s bassy enough. More bass would be a bit too much imo. But with the CKS55s you will indeed get. More bass.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #420 of 1,323
I was looking to buy a pair of the [size=small]ATH-CKM50s last week on Amazon, I believe they were 23 dollars at the time I was looking.. After reading up a little I decided to buy them once I got paid.  Well, a few days go by, and I have the money to purchase them so I go on amazon...They were no longer 23 dollars, but near 50!  Bah, $23 would have been such a steal..I opted for the M6 from MEE instead.  If the price goes back down below 25 I will snatch them up though[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back