The ATH-A900 appreciation thread
Jul 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

catsndogs

Head-Fier

I noticed that the classic Audio Technica ATH-A900s did not have their own appreciation thread, and decided that they really deserve one, so here it is!

I should probably preface this by stating that I have always preferred closed cans, and probably always will. Not only does isolation greatly contribute to the sense of a separate musical universe, but bass is much more authoritative than with any open headphones I have heard (and I have heard several, including the famed HD650s.)

My A900s did not immediately impress me: that took time. Now that they have had the chance to grow on me, however, I think they may well be my favorite headphones (or at least on the short list.)
That is a pretty significant achievement considering their relatively modest price.

I started out preferring the more “in your face” sound of good studio monitors such as HD380s, but eventually realized that they can become fatiguing over the course of a long listening session. By contrast, the velvety-smooth sound of the A900s is never fatiguing, even after hours of listening.

The A900s would make an excellent introduction to high end headphone sound for someone with a modest budget, and have the added advantage of not requiring a dedicated amp (I have used mine out of both a receiver and a CD changer with excellent results, and they are even quite decent driven by my Sony MP3 player.)

For a mere $250, you get great comfort, surprisingly good build quality, rich lifelike bass that is never boomy and goes extremely deep, exceptional soundstage, clear detailed highs with no harshness, slightly recessed but otherwise excellent midrange, and very good overall frequency balance.
Beyond all those technicalities, however, there is the sheer musicality of the A900 sound. Someone with no knowledge of Hi Fi would nonetheless immediately appreciate the beauty of that sound, the way the music just flows effortlessly.

Finally, A900s were the first cans to convince me that headphone listening could actually be better than listening to speakers rather than just a practical alternative, and for that they will always have a special place in my heart.

So, those of you who love you A900s, please chime in. I would enjoy hearing your stories!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back