THE ATH-A1000 and ATH-W1000 will be shipped out on the 28 NOV. JAPAN time
Dec 3, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #79 of 96
Where on the website did you order them? You don't live in Japan right?
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #82 of 96
Hmm, a closed can with low impedance and quality sound. Sounds just like something I am looking for... but too expensive
frown.gif

How good are they at blocking ambient noise comparing to Sen280Pro and Beyer DT250?

Dec 4, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #84 of 96
My W1000's arrived today!

Quite a week, because the W100's I bought from Shivohum arrived yesterday. I listened until about midnight, then went to bed.

Right out of the box, I find the W1000's to be very promising. Compared to the W100's, the additional HF extension is noticeable right away. This is a good thing, because the W100's have a recessed top end. As far as the low end is concerned, I can tell the difference made by the DADS system on the W1000, but I expect that break-in will bring significant changes here so I'm not jumping to conclusions yet.

I did a 3-way comparison between the Senn 600's (borrowed, bone stock) and the A-T's. While the 600's do certain things really well, and the overall balance is mostly very even, they do sound a bit sterile. So far I am really enjoying all of these 'phones though. We'll see what the sound of the W1000's develops into.

I am using my new just-completed tube headphone amp, which has output impedances selectable at 4, 10, 50, 200 and 500 ohms. When I plug each headphone for the first time, I start with the selector set as close as possible to the nominal value of the headphones, but then spend some time at the other settings. It's really easy...different impedances can be selected on-the-fly while listening to music, but the level changes in proportion to the impedance, so it is necessary to adjust the attenuator to get the same loudness at a different impedance. So far, the A-T cans seem to sound best using the 4-ohm taps, and the Senns seem to really like the 200-ohm tap. It's a tweaker's dream, because you can just change the impedance to dial-in your favorite sound.

My headphone amp can be seen on my new headphone amp page: http://www.nutshellhifi.com/gary

Dec 4, 2002 at 10:17 AM Post #87 of 96
not much, not much at all. You can comfortably listen to what I'm listening to from about 4 feet away. I hope my roommate doesn't mind, then again I keep him awake longer when I play games till 3 or 4.

Isolation is decent, a little less than my HP890s.

Dec 5, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #88 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
OK...

Early comments (against my better judgement):

Actually, after reading as much as I have about the big wooden ATs, I sort of expected a somewhat bass shy headphone. That is not the case. The overall tonal balance is striking (although somewhat forward).

I thought the K501s had the most expansive sound-stage I'd ever heard: NOT ANYMORE! These suckers throw an immense ss and the imaging/detail retrieval is pretty amazing.

I'm trying to find something that I don't like, but haven't had any luck so far (gimme time). The build is superb: wood grain and finish is beautiful.

The split headband (New Wing Support) is quite unusual looking but works like a charm. They are extremely comfortable.

At the moment I'm listening through the phone-output of my NAD C160 preamp (which is no slouch). However, later on I'll take them upstairs to listen with my EarMax Pro. Actually, I bought these phones to use with the EMP in my bedroom system.

I'll post a few more comments after further listening, however, I will say that the W1000s sound much better right outa the box than I expected them to.

smily_headphones1.gif

I'll add briefly to the above post because I promised a few comments on the W1000 with the EMP:

As mentioned above, the bulk of my first day was spent with my NAD preamp. After listening to this combo for a while, I noticed what I perceived to be a "hole" in the midrange>upper bass. Now that I've listened extensively with the EMP, I can say that the "hole" is sealed. The forward top-end has been roped in, the mids have a more "coherent" quality, and while the bass doesn't have the "balls" of the CD-3K, the bottom end of the AT is more proportional and realistic. I've been comparing the W1000s with my CD-3k because it's the only other top-end closed phone in my collection.

With my EarMax Pro, the Sonys and the Audio Technicas both have their strong points. I personally feel that if you need a big helping of bass slam, the Sony's are your best bet. However, if you're more concerned with a more balanced sound...(smooth sweet mids through an articulate and "present" top end with a "realistic" bottom, you'll probably enjoy the W1000s.

I've been playing around with my EMP for about two years now...alternating between the SR325s, HD600s, and CD-3000s. I think I've finally found the perfect match (for my ears) and it's the W1000. As a matter of fact, at least for the near future, the other three are being semi-retired...like me!

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #89 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
I've been playing around with my EMP for about two years now...alternating between the SR325s, HD600s, and CD-3000s. I think I've finally found the perfect match (for my ears) and it's the W1000. As a matter of fact, at least for the near future, the other three are being semi-retired...like me!

High compliments indeed young master Rick!! I am glad you found the right synergy between your EMP and a set of cans. May you get many, many hours of enjoyment from them!!

Let us know if things continue to break-in over the next few days of listening!! I for one would like to see some other reviews and thoughts as it gets more and more use!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back