The Astell & Kern AK120 for Mac users
Apr 11, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #46 of 69
  I used YATE on my Mac. It works great for editing and artwork and its free. My problem is that if the FLAC does not have any information it does not get info from the web. You have to manually add it. Other than that... no issues...

Thank you - I'll give YATE a go. I don't mind manually adding tags, just as long as the AK120 can decipher them! 

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #47 of 69
  Try naming the files 

"01 track1"
"02 track2"   etc. 

This way the order of the CD will be maintained 

You can do this for example with XLR or MusicBrainz Picard and surely also with Kid3 (I guess) 

Hmm, that's what I did with Kid3, it just wasn't picked up by the device. I'll give one of the others a go - thank you.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #48 of 69
Just as a hint:  You will probably first have to enter a profile at Freedb   www.freedb.org

or a similar database for music metadata  so XLD or MusicBrainz can lookup the information.
in both programs you can also manually add the album art.

As one more hint - in XLD You can also import already ripped FLACs and just rename them according to your presets.

This is a welcome feature for me when the files are ok and I only want to change the File name and it's mostly faster than doing it with MusicBrainz.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #49 of 69
Tag, available on the app store has a great 'auto-renumber feature in the menus. 
It doesn't get any easier than that.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #51 of 69
Hey, so... maybe you guys can help me out.. I just bought an AK120 from the classifieds here and it came pre-loaded with the last owners music (he was going outta town, didn't have time to wipe it). I've deleted everything (all the music I didn't want), but the music still shows up on the device as song titles, album art etc, but doesn't play. It just says error. Can you tell me how I wipe the AK120 clean so I can begin adding and listening to the music I want? I'm using a 2013 Macbook Pro rt, if that helps at all. I can go through "Disk Utilities" and select Erase for the AK120, but I'm pretty sure it'll completely clean the AK120 of EVERYTHING, and I doubt that's a good idea sooo... Help? Please? Any info/advice is appreciated!

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #52 of 69
From the home page, select the settings icon, then go to Advanced, then Library Scan. Than do a library scan. This is required every time you add or delete files. You can also set to auto scan. That will fix your issue.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #53 of 69
From the home page, select the settings icon, then go to Advanced, then Library Scan. Than do a library scan. This is required every time you add or delete files. You can also set to auto scan. That will fix your issue.

Sir and/or Ma'am, I thank you kindly. Lol. This has been frustrating me for a while. I really appreciate the help.

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #54 of 69
Another tip: the utility Bliss is fantastic. I had it go through my entire collection, change the tags to the correct version of IDv4, ensure all the artwork was sufficiently small and this solved a bunch of odd behaviour.

The other thing I found really improved load time and prevented problems with incomplete scanning of tracks was to rename all files using detox (http://detox.sourceforge.net) - this gets rid of all the high-ascii and other non-basic characters like [{(? etc.

May 2, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #55 of 69
Hi 

I have a AK120 Titan and I am a mac user. I am experiencing a problem which I believe some others have experienced when using the player: AIFF files do not show artwork. I am aware of the fact that the new breed of AK players does not share the same problem and I was wondering if anyone on this forum has found a solution. I read several threads but I did not find any hint on how to solve the problem. I am on firmware 1.40 and all of my files are AIFF encoded with Dbpoweramp.

Thanks for your suggestions!

May 2, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #56 of 69
I also face to the same problem with my AK120Titan.
With the AK120II, the artwork appears, but not the artist name and genre of music for all music in AIFF, those music in AIFF format comes from Qobuz.
Please we need helps
Thanks

May 3, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #57 of 69
Hey, I also had the same problem, and as much as some people said they could get AIFF to work, it NEVER did for me! Even contacted A&K, and they said they were "working on it"....
Never heard back, of course. Anyway, my solution was to bite the bullet and change to FLAC as much as I could. Especially using the 'Tag' app, everything is now SO easy. Sorry it's not what you want to hear, but that's my experience anyway :/

May 4, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #58 of 69
I converted to flac.

May 19, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #59 of 69
Thanks whitesurfstyle5 and Sam Edwards for your replies. I used to have most of my library in alac format but I then decided to switch it to aiff. I understand that it would be better to stick with alas/flac but I still do not understand the policy of the AK guys as they simply disregard the previous generation of players (and their adopters) when in fact aiff artwork is perfectly visible in the make 2 of their new players. Anyway as nobody at AK bothers with this issue, I will simply use my the titan with my Aiff files with no artwork... 

Thanks anyway!

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #60 of 69
I'm trying to upgrade to the latest firmware but when I plug my AK120 into my MacBook, and choose "Connect removable disk", it freezes on the connecting page ("Connecting USB Do not disconnect"). And there's no removeable disk appearing on the MacBook screen.

Anyone had this problem? My 120 is the Mezzo Soprano upgrade but I've connected it to the MacBook a number of times since the upgrade. I use it with a Glove A1 most of the time.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back