The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Nov 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #2,806 of 3,220

I have one 5.5 with faulty amp. Using direct out with z caps removed - Lod is clean.

But headphone out has crosstalk and noise. Is there a way to completely disable internal headphone amp? Which components have to be removed? Signal route...   

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #2,807 of 3,220
This may be a longshot, but I have a question on diymodding an iriver h120 and h320.

I want to mod the line out on both, and would prefer to use external coupling capacitors for the sake of easy experimentation with different caps. With the internal circuitry of the irivers, is it a viable option to short the pads for the stock capacitors and use capacitors after the 3.5mm line out?

The reason I ask is because I don't know if there's internal circuitry after the capacitors that depends on DC offset being blocked. I will likely find out once I open my players for inspection but wanted to throw this out there.

I'm so pumped right now. Just got the notification email that my iMod has been shipped from Red Wine Audio. Had my 5.5G iMod sent in since I can't do it here as I'm deployed overseas. Should be shipping with the ALO LOD. 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
 Can't wait to hear it. Should be here in two weeks. Going to be pairing it with my Fiio E17 and DT 880 250ohm cans 
biggrin.gif

I had also modded the iMod with the CF adaptor, 128GB SD card, new battery, (highest capacity I could find) and a clear front faceplate.

Should definitely be a unique iPod/setup. 
biggrin.gif
 That email just made my day.

Sent from XT912 / CM10.2

Would love to see pictures and impressions.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,809 of 3,220
Long time since I've been on here...

Don't forget guys that with certain designs of amp you can DC couple your amp/iMod without using caps
Especially on a portable rig that uses separate batteries.
I had mine running that way for over a year but installed caps so I could use it on other devices.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #2,810 of 3,220

Don't forget guys that with certain designs of amp you can DC couple your amp/iMod without using caps
I had mine running that way for over a year but installed caps so I could use it on other devices.

Do you mean that certain amps have coupling capacitors on their analog inputs? This is definitely true for some amps. The amps I have (RSA Tomahawk and Meier 2move) do not, so I'll need to use caps no matter what.

Though if your portable amp already has them, by all means it's better to not add anything additional in the chain.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #2,811 of 3,220

I did all my imods this way. Have used caps in lod cables (not always easy to fit).

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2,812 of 3,220
  Do you mean that certain amps have coupling capacitors on their analog inputs? This is definitely true for some amps. The amps I have (RSA Tomahawk and Meier 2move) do not, so I'll need to use caps no matter what.

Though if your portable amp already has them, by all means it's better to not add anything additional in the chain.

Hi buddy
Yes and No ....
Yes, if your amp has input caps you can omit them in the iMod but you can also couple certain amps by putting the negative rail at the same DC potential to prevent it from flowing down the signal path.. Look at the datasheet of the DAC for DC Coupling schematic. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,813 of 3,220
I'm hosting a sale today at RetroSonicFidelity, for those of you that don't want to build the diyMods yourself.  I have a 3G touchwheel, a couple minis, and some standard (non-modded) minis.

I'll be doing another sale on Black Friday weekend, but I figured I'd let you folks know about today's sale, if you don't want to go buy a soldering iron, caps, wire, etc.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #2,814 of 3,220
Any pointers to a micro electronics repair shop on london that might help me with this? I have experinece with things like this but this one is really small for my eyes!

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,818 of 3,220
Got my iMod back from Red Wine Audio :D Don't have the skill or working environment conducive to doing the work myself. :D Loving it!

iMod 5.5G, clear iVue front cover, Zagg Invisible Shield, clear Griffin case, Tarken CF Adaptor, 128GB SD card, ALO iMod LOD, Fiio E17 amp.

My pride and joy :D

ate4usa4.jpg

ama3e4yq.jpg

e9uhydyd.jpg

8ynymu8a.jpg

qetu9a7e.jpg

sy5uqesa.jpg

uty4y8e9.jpg

Sent from XT912 / CM10.2

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #2,819 of 3,220
Don't get me wrong, it's all about ability and finance...... but this is a DIY thread :wink:

... and I'm going to comment on 'that' level of modification... sorry, can't hold myself back
A simple (and not very tidy) bypass rewire for that price is utterly ridiculous.
I would (and did for some time) supply fully bypassed modifications (DAC to Pins) for a fraction of the price.
And that included internal caps..

Huge apologies for my outburst
Standing down off my soapbox

Bye

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #2,820 of 3,220
  Don't get me wrong, it's all about ability and finance...... but this is a DIY thread :wink:

... and I'm going to comment on 'that' the level of modification... sorry, can't hold myself back
A simple (and not very tidy) bypass rewire for that price is utterly ridiculous.
I would (and did for some time) supply fully bypassed modifications (DAC to Pins) for a fraction of the price.
And that included internal caps..

Huge apologies for my outburst
Standing down off my soapbox

Bye

+1 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back