The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Sep 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,746 of 3,220
Yeah you need to get rid of the HDD asap, even without diymod just for improvement to battery performance. If you still have the thin back plate, replace it with a fat one to give you the internal space much needed for trying different caps. I haven't tried the black gates altho I heard good things about them. Wima's are pretty good. To my ears the Wima's sounded better than the Elan Silmic's. Just keep trying different ones until you find your own winners.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,747 of 3,220
  Definitely wait till you get the clear cover and send everything to RWA for the mod. You don't want to risk the finished iMod by reopening it to change anything (not mentioning you may even need to desolder and solder the wires again if you want to change the front cover).

Thats what I'm thinking as well.  I'd love to have it ASAP, but I don't want to risk damaging the iMod, and have to send it back.

I don´t see how you would need to solder anyting while changing cover. But i guess it would be better to wait for cover and then send it all together, so you would fell safer.

However, if i personally was to decide, i would send it asap, because i hate waiting and im confident i wouldn´t screw it up :D But thats only because im cocky s.o.b., so you rather wait :)

Yea, I normally am too, but I don't have the equiptment, or knowledge of soldering where I'm at.  But I definately want it ASAP.  Just sucks waiting. :p

I know when RWA does the iMod, the put the caps in the LOD, at least for the 5.5G iPod.  So I guess theoretically, if I wanted to try new caps, I could just get a new LOD with other caps, correct?  A little easier, and less intrusive on the iPod.  Eventually I may take apart the iPod to see how RWA does it exactly, but may not be at the top of my list.  Though I'm a curious guy lol.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2,748 of 3,220

I know when RWA does the iMod, the put the caps in the LOD, at least for the 5.5G iPod.  So I guess theoretically, if I wanted to try new caps, I could just get a new LOD with other caps, correct?  A little easier, and less intrusive on the iPod.  Eventually I may take apart the iPod to see how RWA does it exactly, but may not be at the top of my list.  Though I'm a curious guy lol.

That's correct. But the dock has more limited space than an ipod with the fat back plate to accommodate the caps. In other words, the caps which fit inside the ipod may not fit in the dock.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #2,749 of 3,220
I'm just discovering this DIY ipod discussion ....and I have a trust old ipod to do the mod to .... I just can't seen to find a coherent tutorial. I know it's on this list somewhere ...but I have been trying to find it for days .....can someone help...

I do the mod.... do I loose the headphone out??  is there a way to do it an keep the headphone out ...

if i mess with the doc connector inside the ipod ...... am i messing up it's ability to connect to my computer or charge?

how about rockbox .... any reason that won't work?

Thanks for the help .... I'm interested in hacking this thing,.

T

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #2,750 of 3,220
Depends on if you have a 4th Gen iPod or 5th/5.5g iPod. Let's start there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR/JB CM 10.2 via Tapatalk II

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,752 of 3,220
From what I understand, the 4th Gen the iMod basically renders the headphone plug useless for controlling volume.  You'd have to run it through an amp.  The 5th Gen iMod runs the sound out of the line out bottom port, therefore the headphone plug is untouched and remains usable, but the improved sound quality is only accessable through the bottom port.

Here is a little info, and in the next few weeks I'm sending my 5.5G iPod to Redwine Audio for the upgrade. Being deployed I don't have access to the tools or an environment that would allow me to do the work.  Not to mention I have never soldered before. :xf_eek:
http://redwineaudio.com/mods/imod

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,753 of 3,220
  I'm just discovering this DIY ipod discussion ....and I have a trust old ipod to do the mod to .... I just can't seen to find a coherent tutorial. I know it's on this list somewhere ...but I have been trying to find it for days .....can someone help...

I do the mod.... do I loose the headphone out??  is there a way to do it an keep the headphone out ...

if i mess with the doc connector inside the ipod ...... am i messing up it's ability to connect to my computer or charge?

how about rockbox .... any reason that won't work?

Thanks for the help .... I'm interested in hacking this thing,.

T

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsjfcx34cguw42h/first%20page%20diymod.rar

This is an old first page from this topic, you can find pretty much everything there.

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,754 of 3,220
Hi

Have you had problems with sd cards using flac files.
I have tarkan adapter + cf to sd (came with adapter) + trancend 128 gb sdxc.
Using Rockbox on 5.5 30gb board (32 mb ram).
With half of the tracks it jumps to the next one just before end (sometimes half way through).
Used same files on normal hard drive with no problems.
Yet when "winding" it forward, end of it play fine. But will mess it up with next track..
confused_face(1).gif

Any ideas?

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,755 of 3,220
  Hi

Have you had problems with sd cards using flac files.
I have tarkan adapter + cf to sd (came with adapter) + trancend 128 gb sdxc.
Using Rockbox on 5.5 30gb board (32 mb ram).
With half of the tracks it jumps to the next one just before end (sometimes half way through).
Used same files on normal hard drive with no problems.
Yet when "winding" it forward, end of it play fine. But will mess it up with next track..
confused_face(1).gif

Any ideas?

I am using the same SDXC card (with same Tarkan adapter) in one of my ipods and I don't have the issue. I only use Rockbox to play my music.

Edit: How did you copy your files to the card? If you have not done so, boot the ipod to Apple's original firmware as enabled disk for copying files.

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #2,757 of 3,220
  That's weird.
Tried your way: copy in official firmware.
Seems to work fine.
Is Rockbox not doing it's job correctly?
Thanks Dminor

Glad it worked for you and BTW welcome to the Head-fi.

There are some cards which may not be compatible with rockbox for file transfer, and the Transcend is one of them. I had trouble copying files to that card initially using the rockbox. Credit goes to another head-fi'er whose post led me to resolve the issue.

I like the Transcend cards they are quality cards.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,759 of 3,220
+1 for pic.

That wire seems quite thin.

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2,760 of 3,220
Hmm, I just sent payment to RWA since I have no soldering skills and no environment or tools conducive to doing the work here. Looks like I'll be sending my iPod after I put the clear iVue case on the iPod. Just don't want to damage the iMod swapping the case.

Would thin wire be a good or bad thing? Good as in less resistance offered? Bad as in fragile?

I suppose having someone else do the work professionally and stand behind it would be worth the $250 in my case beind deployed. I hope anyway, just spent the money :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR/JB CM 10.2 via Tapatalk II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back