The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Sep 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,716 of 3,220
  Any chance we can mod the battery for ipod video? I am wondering if we can possibly put in a pair of batteries (let's assume the space is not an issue) to boost power supply.

One person did it with an iPod touch.  I don't see why it wouldn't work with any other iPod, as long as you solder the correct wires together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaNC9FmJt2k

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2,717 of 3,220
Hey guys,
Here is my diymod

Just finished still with original firmware:

And here is current setup rockboxed diymod with amp and iems 

I kept original 50GB HDD. But its far to small for me, im thinking about some upgrade. I would like to try CF card as it is more battery friendly, but 256GB cards are too expensive. Guess i have to go with 256GB regular HDD, found some for about $120.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,722 of 3,220

I kept original 50GB HDD. But its far to small for me, im thinking about some upgrade. I would like to try CF card as it is more battery friendly, but 256GB cards are too expensive. Guess i have to go with 256GB regular HDD, found some for about $120.

Have you thought about a Compact Flash to SD card adaptor?  Thats what I did.  Higher capacity SD cards are cheaper than compact flash.

I'm using this one with my iPod CF adaptor.

http://www.amazon.com/SD-CF-II-Type-Adapter-Supports/dp/B000YZGCIU

Also, where do I get a clear housing for my 5.5G iPod?  Love the look!

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2,724 of 3,220
Awesome!  Nice and cheap too.  Just have to get an invsible shield on it and I'll be good to go.  Thanks!  +1
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,726 of 3,220

Have you thought about a Compact Flash to SD card adaptor?  Thats what I did.  Higher capacity SD cards are cheaper than compact flash.

I'm using this one with my iPod CF adaptor.

http://www.amazon.com/SD-CF-II-Type-Adapter-Supports/dp/B000YZGCIU

Also, where do I get a clear housing for my 5.5G iPod?  Love the look!

I did thought about it. The thing is, over the years i have managed to assembly quite huge amount of loseless music collection. Its about 280GB and keeps growing. And i would like to have with me as much of it as i can, because my mood for music changes quite often through the day. And prices for SD or CF cards in size greater than 128GB are insane. But i guess i will go with SD/CF solution, because i could use that bit increased battery time. But first i need to deal with complete Home theatre/Hi-fi solution at my crib.

In mean time, fell free to share your opinions, i would appreciate that :wink:

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #2,727 of 3,220
This is the Zagg Invisible Shield.
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-video-ipod-60-80gb-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php#apple-video-ipod-60-80gb-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields/149?&_suid=137929195002805684772453365645

Currently I have had one on my 5.5G iPod for years and my iPod 5.5G is still in mint condition.  Not a scratch on it.  If I were to peel it off the iPod, it would look linke mint condition.

I like to use this stuff on all my phones, tablets, Kindle, iPods ect.  It's extremely tough, and prevents scratching.  I like to keep my toys pretty and looking new.
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #2,728 of 3,220

I did thought about it. The thing is, over the years i have managed to assembly quite huge amount of loseless music collection. Its about 280GB and keeps growing. And i would like to have with me as much of it as i can, because my mood for music changes quite often through the day. And prices for SD or CF cards in size greater than 128GB are insane. But i guess i will go with SD/CF solution, because i could use that bit increased battery time. But first i need to deal with complete Home theatre/Hi-fi solution at my crib.

In mean time, fell free to share your opinions, i would appreciate that :wink:

This is what I have done - collecting multiple ipods and mod all of them with the 128GB SSD's. These ipods are sold at very low price these days by those none head-fi'ers and I paid from $25 (for a few) to max $60. When you have multiple units, the chance of running out of batteries on all of them simultaneously is essentially zero therefore you always have music to listen. I used to think about getting the 256GB drive to load all my library in one pod but not any more.

This is the Zagg Invisible Shield.
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-video-ipod-60-80gb-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php#apple-video-ipod-60-80gb-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields/149?&_suid=137929195002805684772453365645

Currently I have had one on my 5.5G iPod for years and my iPod 5.5G is still in mint condition.  Not a scratch on it.  If I were to peel it off the iPod, it would look linke mint condition.

I like to use this stuff on all my phones, tablets, Kindle, iPods ect.  It's extremely tough, and prevents scratching.  I like to keep my toys pretty and looking new.
tongue.gif

Good idea. I am now using an Alo amp wallet so my ipod is always protected by a transparent cover.

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2,729 of 3,220
For me the CF SD card conversation has really helped. It did increase battery life, but I Cnt say how much. My old HDD and battery were pretty worn. But I can get at least a solid 12 hours. I have ha a couple iPod freeze, but not sure if it's related to the SD card. Mostly it was when I was messing with videos. Hasn't happened in a while. Only other issue I had was the SD card not being completely secured and when I dropped the iPod (it's in a solid rubber case) the card slipped out of place. Just opened the ipod reseated the card and all was good. It's a relief knowing I'm that if I drop the iPod, I won't damage a had drive. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR/JB CM 10.2 via Tapatalk II

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,730 of 3,220
Has anyone had the iMod done by one of the vendors on eBay? I'm looking at the vendor in Turkey. Cost is $159 with an LOD. I'd love to send my iPod to Redwine Audio, but they want $250 for the iMod and $195 for the LOD. Is that really worth the improvement? $450??

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=251306223298

Sent from my DROID RAZR/JB CM 10.2 via Tapatalk II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back