The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jul 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #2,686 of 3,220
Nice work casey. What caps did you use for the mod, the Kemet's? Did you wire it directly to the lod pins?

Anyways, day and night difference (yes I mean it) for me now between the stock and diymod in terms of SQ. The fun from doing this thing is even unmeasurable.
wink_face.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #2,687 of 3,220
Thanks, DMinor!  I'm actually using Elna Slimic II's.  I read you stating others sound better, but since these are my first diyMods, to me they sound absolutely fantastic.  I've been toying with offering a few "special editions" with some crazy expensive Blackgates I might purchase on ebay from Japan.

You're right, it is ridiculously fun to do this!  Although I killed 4 iPod mini boards in the process (lifted pads), I've got the procedure down now, and I'm pretty quick and efficient with it.

No, I did not wire directly to LOD pins; I wired it as mentioned in the diymod guides. If you've wired yours directly to the LOD pins, how did you mange to get a clean connection on such a small, crowded area?

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2,688 of 3,220
I have tried Elan Silmic's, Wima films and the Kemet films. No doubt to my ears the Kemet's stand out. I recommend you try it and don't forget to thank me if you like them .
wink_face.gif

I killed one ipod during my fist attempt that was a little discouraging, but the fire kept burning under my skin and the 2nd attempt was successful.

Sorry I believe wiring to the pins is only for the 5g or 5.5g. I only work on the ipod video's, for now.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #2,693 of 3,220
I thought the direct out mod only applies to the ipod video's not the mini's, correct?

I don't know, really. I've never looked inside a mini. Maybe that's the case...or maybe there's some way to do it, it's still a 30 pin dock, there's still pins there. I imagine you could pull them, solder, and put it back.

Casey said it was cramped. Exactly what I thought about the 5g at first ??
Might be the next fun experiment?

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2,694 of 3,220
Quote:
I don't know, really. I've never looked inside a mini. Maybe that's the case...or maybe there's some way to do it, it's still a 30 pin dock, there's still pins there. I imagine you could pull them, solder, and put it back.

Casey said it was cramped. Exactly what I thought about the 5g at first ??
Might be the next fun experiment?

Even if the direct out mod can be done for the mini's, I don't think it has the internal space for the 4.7uf film caps. But you can put the caps in the lod then, but still not as spacious as the ipod video with the thick plate for the caps. That's why I stick to the video's.

I remember I bought one mini for my mom many yrs ago and from my memory that thing is really compact in comparison to the video with a thick back plate.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2,695 of 3,220
I just took a look at one of my minis, and although the dock pins are exposed, it looks like wiring them to the other side of the board essentially puts you at the exact same spot.  Experiment?  Yes.  Fun?  Meeehhhh.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,696 of 3,220
Quote:
I remember I bought one mini for my mom many yrs ago and from my memory that thing is really compact in comparison to the video with a thick back plate.

It absolutely is compact.  The 4.7uF caps I'm putting in barely fit when I strip the CF card of its casing (hope I'll never need the warranty!).

Although I fit these Elna caps in, and they have a 5mm diameter.  So with a short dimension of about 4mm, I could probably smush a film cap in there.

These are already MUCH bigger than the SMD caps, of course.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2,698 of 3,220
Dude, that pic of the dock pins:
Totally do-able!

5g is the same whereas the DAC is on the opposite side of the board, so you must file a notch in the frame to route the wires from the DAC to the line out pins.

Totally got to get my hands on a mini! But yeah, the film caps would need to be external. Put them in the dock connector like those pics I posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back