The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jul 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2,671 of 3,220
Doubt you will be selling off one after you try the Killer caps. You will end like me collecting these ipods and kermitting them .

Edit: On that diymod you showed on last page, was that a direct out mod? I guess it is and the dac wired to the pins directly with nothing in between. correct?

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,672 of 3,220
Wait are u talking to me? I did the CFmod with internal elna caps too then wired it to the pins. Are the film caps that much better than the elna's? Cause I might need a new LOD if I wanted to use a 80GB back. Made a bottom exit one lol.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #2,673 of 3,220
Quote:
Wait are u talking to me? I did the CFmod with internal elna caps too then wired it to the pins. Are the film caps that much better than the elna's? Cause I might need a new LOD if I wanted to use a 80GB back. Made a bottom exit one lol.

Sorry I was asking thegrobe about the mod shown in his pics.

On the film caps, yes to my ears both Kemet and Wima sound better than the Elan Silmic's. Then the Kemet's sound better than the Wima's. Good thing about diymod is you can try different caps and settle down to the ones or two's you prefer. Definitely worth a try and the caps only cost a few bucks.

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #2,674 of 3,220
Quote:
Doubt you will be selling off one after you try the Killer caps. You will end like me collecting these ipods and kermitting them .

Edit: On that diymod you showed on last page, was that a direct out mod? I guess it is and the dac wired to the pins directly with nothing in between. correct?

Right. The owner wanted to keep the original hard drive, so no room inside for caps. So direct wired from DAC to pins, then the caps in the LOD. 
Quote:

Do you mean you LOD wouldn't reach the amp if the back was thicker? Short wire? Sounds like a good reason to try making your own LOD. Buy some silver wire and a couple parts, and your'e good to go. Waaaaaay easier than the mod, like a walk in the park if you've successfully completed the mod. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,677 of 3,220
Quote:

Right. The owner wanted to keep the original hard drive, so no room inside for caps. So direct wired from DAC to pins, then the caps in the LOD. 

Smart idea. I mean you can put a less expensive 240GB HDD there and still have the improved sound. I am curious if both will sound the same - with the caps inside the ipod or in the lod.

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2,679 of 3,220
This one?

http://www.headamp.com/pico/pico_amp/index.htm

If so, you've got a 50k input impedance. A 2uf film cap is more than enough. That film cap I showed in the dock pics is a 2.2. Small enough to fit inside a dock connector..and also a thin back iPod with the CF drive.

In that earlier post I mis-quoted that mod was 100k, correct was 50k. I edited...

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #2,682 of 3,220
OK guys some new experiments on my favorite killer caps.

The ones I bought previously were all 4.7uf/50V/10% made in Finland. Today, I decided to throw in a pair of 4.7uf/50V/5% made in Indonesia.

I have done some critical listening to some of my very demanding symphonies and orchestral work. I am surprised that for the first time I don't hear any congestions in those pieces. I am smiling.
bigsmile_face.gif
My evaluation standard is very simple - if the caps can handle symphonies, it can handle any other genres easily.

So I have to say no killer caps are equal. Not sure it's because of the 5% difference in tolerance or the origin of these caps. Whatever it may be, the result is surprising to my ears. Also the latest caps don't seem to have the initial roughness therefore no burn-ins needed.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,685 of 3,220
I'm building quite a few of these mods over at RetroSonicFidelity, I'm calling them "retroMods".  Here are a couple photos of the iPod 3G and iPod minis I've been working on so far.

I'm doing my listening with an O2 headphone amp I built, and the difference between the new line-out and the headphone out is unbelievable.  Even my wife could hear a difference, and she's usually indifferent to audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back