The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Oct 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #2,536 of 3,220
Thanks for clearing it up. I didnt quite know. I was really concerned after not being told and the owner not even being aware they had a LOD without caps. they always used it with a RSA amp and it was an ALO LOD. I asked and he said it had caps in it. I tested my gear thoroughly immediately to make sure no damage was done to it. 
Quote:
sorry kenman345, I have to correct several things in your post.
the caps dont change anything to AC, the AC is already there riding on top of a DC offset, the caps remove that DC, while presenting a High pass filter to the AC signal in combination with the amps input impedance.
if you have DC blocking caps for sure on the amp you are using, its BETTER to have no caps, adding an extra cap, no matter how good it is, isnt ever going to improve the sound quality over having no cap. but be aware at meets, advise people that there are no caps and remember yourself ie. dont use it with other peoples gear unless you know its AC coupled.
@ pcgo: I dont know what you think blocks DC in a USB connection, not only does it not involve any kind of DC blocking mechanism, but it is a completely different signal path that uses completely different pins in the dock.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #2,537 of 3,220
Hi there,

Seriously considering taking my 5th gen and doing the DIY mod.

Wondering if anyone on here is from Ottawa and have done this mod.  I am not too concerned about the wiring it is just the inclusion of the caps.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #2,538 of 3,220
Quote:
im thinking of modding my ipod 5.5 80 to SSD with internal CAPs and a internal amp. im still not sure how to fit everything in the 80G back housing yet. For the internal amp i was thinking of using CMOY, they can be very small. i know the CMOY is not the greatest of choice. but i am aiming at portability and powering IEMs only. please let me know if there are any problems with this route.

my trail of thought are IPOD DAC ---> CAPs ---> CMOY amp ----> IEMs.

basically just soldering two wires out of the DAC, instead of going to the LO, it's heading to CMOY amp. 

I managed to fit a FiiO E5 in an 80GB with CF and DiYMod, pretty cool... not a brilliant amp by any means but great by the pool :)

Caps only need to be 10uf and 16v at most, I use 4.7uf Wima MKS2's and they beat any 'litic. You just need to use the CF adapter to give you room.

Don't bother with SSD, use CF, you get more room to play with, same price and (from recent experience modding someone else's pod) not all SSD's fit!!!!

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #2,540 of 3,220
No sound difference. Only a limitation difference in terms of Storage size. 5th gen iPods cant handle more than 128gb HDD, 5.5g iPod up to 256gb HDD (AFAIK)
Quote:
Hi guys! I own a 30GB Ipod 5g and just wonder if it is worth modding it? Usually used with a fiio e17.
Is there a difference between 5g and 5.5g when it comes to modding?

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,541 of 3,220
Quote:
No sound difference. Only a limitation difference in terms of Storage size. 5th gen iPods cant handle more than 128gb HDD, 5.5g iPod up to 256gb HDD (AFAIK)

This is right. The 60/80GB models (not sure about 30gb 5.5gen) have 64MB of cache as well. Maybe I just had a defective 5th gen 30GB, but it stuttered on FLAC. A lot.

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,542 of 3,220
AFAIK the 60gb 5g iPod doesnt have 64mb of RAM. the 30gb and 80gb iPod 5.5g seem to both work with high capacity drives thoug. But I have only heard the 5.5g 80gb iPod as having 64mb of RAM
Quote:
This is right. The 60/80GB models (not sure about 30gb 5.5gen) have 64MB of cache as well. Maybe I just had a defective 5th gen 30GB, but it stuttered on FLAC. A lot.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2,543 of 3,220
Quote:
No sound difference. Only a limitation difference in terms of Storage size.

No sound difference between 5g and 5.5g or modded and stock? 
Can somebody help me with choosing right parts for imoding ipod 5gen? Whats the state of the art mod?
Is there a pic tutorial available?

Do I really need an amp to control the volume after modding my 5g?

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #2,544 of 3,220
modded 5g and modded 5.5g will should the same if done the exact same way. Stock, both will sound the same....

Check the first page for tutorials. The mod is pretty straight forward just requires some skills and confidence in your abilities. You 100% need an amp after modding. No point in modding if you arent going to use an amp. It wont have any benefit for you.
Quote:
No sound difference between 5g and 5.5g or modded and stock? 
Can somebody help me with choosing right parts for imoding ipod 5gen? Whats the state of the art mod?
Is there a pic tutorial available?

Do I really need an amp to control the volume after modding my 5g?

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2,546 of 3,220
Hi all,
I'm not understanding well still the effect of different values of voltage and capacitance.
Can someone please help me understand if a 25v 22uF cap would work internally in a diymod ( not worried about size), and if not, why?

Is there harm done if the voltage of the cap is higher than The "standard" i.e 10v/47uF or 16v/47uF

, and likewise can the capacitance of the cap be higher or lower than 47uF without harm? ie 6.3v and 100 uF?

Regards,
Joe

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #2,547 of 3,220
Hi all,
I'm not understanding well still the effect of different values of voltage and capacitance.
Can someone please help me understand if a 25v 22uF cap would work internally in a diymod ( not worried about size), and if not, why?
Is there harm done if the voltage of the cap is higher than The "standard" i.e 10v/47uF or 16v/47uF
, and likewise can the capacitance of the cap be higher or lower than 47uF without harm? ie 6.3v and 100 uF?
Regards,
Joe
The built in coupling SMD capacitors are approximately 10uf.
22uf will definitely work, people are using 0.47uf V-caps too but I didn't have a chance to try.
The voltage rating for caps is just the maximum voltage that it can take, in theory it doesn't affect audio quality as long as it takes 6.3v or above.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #2,548 of 3,220
modded 5g and modded 5.5g will should the same if done the exact same way. Stock, both will sound the same....

Check the first page for tutorials. The mod is pretty straight forward just requires some skills and confidence in your abilities. You 100% need an amp after modding. No point in modding if you arent going to use an amp. It wont have any benefit for you.
and a LOD with coupling caps as well

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #2,549 of 3,220
My attempt to put capacitors inside a diyMod Mini 2nd Gen.

Since there isn't any space inside a Mini2G I decided to (brutally) remove the shell of a CF card to gain some room.

First try with the cheaper parts: Vishay BC 038 22uf/100v and AMTRANS 0.4mm Gold-plated OCC copper wire

The wiring in front. Make sure you take note for the following:
1. The additional wiring is thin enough to stay among the chips, and does not run over any SMD components, otherwise the click wheel may damage the soldering plates when you slide the logical board back into the case, which means permanently destroying the logical board.
2. Use insulating tapes to cover up the soldering spots. The back of click wheel is made of metal... you know what I mean.

The hardest step... do it carefully.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little upgrade later by replacing everything with the even smaller BlackGate PK 33uf/35v, Mundorf 0.5mm Silver/Gold wire, Jenson 4% silver solder, and a 32GB CF

...and it definitely sounds great
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #2,550 of 3,220
Someone mentioned that big size drives will make sound jitter in 30GB, 32MB RAM models. I have 5.5 30GB classic and I am planning to put 64GB CF or 128GB SSD into it, as it has 32MB of RAM do I have to worry about sound stutter or that isnt case if not using HDD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back