The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jul 6, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #2,207 of 3,220
Well, I used a cf adapter and an 80gb back for mine when my Elna 16v 47uf caps would not fit in the 30gb back. I did use the space you were talking about by the dock connector.

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #2,208 of 3,220

Quote:
My question:  has anyone found a way to squeeze capacitors into the case, there is a little bit of space in the left and right corner areas near the dock connector, I'm sure there are decent capacitors that are small enough to fit in there and make the LOD modding unnecessary, and that would also provide a substantial improvement over the stock SMD caps.

Has anyone successfully done this with either the 5 or 5.5 gen?

Take look at posts #2165 and #2148 of this forum, it can be done internally.
L_u_k_a_s

Jul 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #2,209 of 3,220
i've seen the pict for ipod mini 2nd gen.. should i remove the component showed or just soldering the wire to the designated point? i forget who say this but it tell that it is better not to remove the caps.. it is true?

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #2,210 of 3,220
I recently got another 5g 30gB Ipod for cheap off of BST. Last night I decided to try and do the DIY Mod on this Ipod. This time I only removed the 2 capacitors next to the DAC and connected to the pads below the 2 output capacitors. This time I was successful, now I need some time to evaluate the performance of the DiyMod.
RC

Quote:
In short, pls check the connectivity of all the components sitting around the components you taken off.  On the other hand, pls also check the components around are short together.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #2,213 of 3,220
need urgent help
have an ipod 5th gen
n i have removed the components on the ipod for the mod
HOWEVER
the pcb board area at the lod side of the ipod got dmg n i cant solder them anymore
can i solder the dac to other pins or somewhere else on the ipod
are they any unused pin on the pin which i can solder to and i will change the pin arrange on the dock i make

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #2,214 of 3,220

Quote:
need urgent help
have an ipod 5th gen
n i have removed the components on the ipod for the mod
HOWEVER
the pcb board area at the lod side of the ipod got dmg n i cant solder them anymore
can i solder the dac to other pins or somewhere else on the ipod
are they any unused pin on the pin which i can solder to and i will change the pin arrange on the dock i make

Check out the link below.
RC

http://cogent14.com/~ayl/index.php/projects/diy-imod-ipod/page-five/

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #2,217 of 3,220
I dont know if this thread is still working but I have some stupid questions.

First, is it all about desoldering some caps, soldering some caps and resistors. And its all done?

As far as I understand, we cant use headphone out after this mod? Can we charge and connect via usb if we put caps in iPod/diyMod?

I am thinking about getting BG NX caps but i am not sure if they fit into my iPod 5G 30GB. I saw some photos in the previous pages but they are all more GBs and thicker back panels than mine. Do you have any idea if I can fit BG caps into 30gb panel? Or will it fit if I get some 60/80gb panel for my 30gb ipod?

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #2,218 of 3,220

Quote:

First, is it all about desoldering some caps, soldering some caps and resistors. And its all done?

As far as I understand, we cant use headphone out after this mod? Can we charge and connect via usb if we put caps in iPod/diyMod?

It is about desoldering some caps and inductors then soldering two wire (30ga) to create a new signal path.

If it is the 5th generation Ipod then the headphone out is not affected.

Yes you can charge and connect via usb after the mod.
RC

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #2,219 of 3,220
Thanks Reima..

Do you know if anything changes in headphone out? (like development)

writing it again to be seen:
Also I am thinking about getting BG NX caps but i am not sure if they fit into my iPod 5G 30GB. I saw some photos in the previous pages but they are all more GBs and thicker back panels than mine. Do you have any idea if I can fit BG caps into 30gb panel? Or will it fit if I get some 60/80gb panel for my 30gb ipod?

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #2,220 of 3,220
The headphone out does not change, the only change is in the line out.

I have the BG NX capacitors installed inside my 30GB, 5.5g Ipod but I have done the CF mod. I have only seen the caps put inside a the 80GB Ipod without the CF mod..
RC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back