The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jul 17, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #1,996 of 3,220
Have anybody compared diyMod Mini to iMod (or diyMod) 5G / 5.5G?

Stock Mini sounds slightly better to me comparing to stock 5.5G. I am curious whether it has better DAC or just better coupling caps.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #1,997 of 3,220
If only my little brother let my diyMod his 60GB 5G.. But perhaps I can make arrangements to get a 30GB iPod 5G soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #1,998 of 3,220
i diymodded my mini 1G (i think) I still get audio from it, so I think it didn't not work, but bonthouse told me I can't use a regular LOD as it will destroy my amp. I have been searching for some sort of tutorial to make a lod for use with the diymod but I can't find anything.

do I just connect one capacitor on the right channel and one on the left channel between the dock and the plug.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #1,999 of 3,220
i diymodded my mini 1G (i think) I still get audio from it, so I think it didn't not work, but bonthouse told me I can't use a regular LOD as it will destroy my amp. I have been searching for some sort of tutorial to make a lod for use with the diymod but I can't find anything.

2vjtyjn.jpg

do I just connect one capacitor on the right channel and one on the left channel between the dock and the plug.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #2,000 of 3,220
This is how it should look like in the dock:

Left pin > + lead of the cap > cap itself > - side of the cap > wire

Same goes for the right pin.

What do you mean with this?

Quote:

i diymodded my mini 1G (i think) I still get audio from it, so I think it didn't not work

You mean it still works via headphone out? If so, that's normal.
The purpose of the mod here is that it removes the junk from the DAC to the dock. Not to connect the DAC to the headphone out like in the 4G.

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #2,002 of 3,220
Well.. that's because they're out of production since ..2002(?)
Go with Silmic II's or Cerafine's.

Btw, why do you use 2 accounts? That's against the rules..

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #2,004 of 3,220
what is this nonsense?? double posting in duplicate accounts. blackgates are available in a number of places. try partsconnexion.com also percyaudio.com

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #2,005 of 3,220
also; it should not damage your amp if you use it with a regular LOD; but it will ruin your headphones or speakers that are attached to it. also you might try only stripping a small amount of the wire and tinning it; what you have done in the pics is far too much; making a greater chance of bridging or shorting the connection. certainly made a little mess there, but you'll get the hang of it. try getting a set of helping hands with a magnifier

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #2,006 of 3,220
I just did the DIYmod to my 1G nano last saturday.

And to my surprise, the clickwheel didn't function at all afterwards.

I have double checked everything under a magnifying glass, nothing was shorted and/or accidentally removed.

Clickwheel and LCD ribbon cables were also snugly connected. At first I thought it was the clickwheel ribbon cable, but a close-up examination showed that the traces on the ribbon cable were okay.

If I connect the nano to my laptop, it would properly boot -- apple logo showing, followed by rockbox logo, then the usual "do not disconnect" text. My Computer also detected my nano; I can browse through my files in the nano w/ no probs at all.

I wonder what could've caused this?

Pictures will follow soon; I don't have a camera in hand ATM.

Many thanks in advance for any insights provided.

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #2,007 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaninugraha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did the DIYmod to my 1G nano last saturday.

And to my surprise, the clickwheel didn't function at all afterwards.

I have double checked everything under a magnifying glass, nothing was shorted and/or accidentally removed.

Clickwheel and LCD ribbon cables were also snugly connected. At first I thought it was the clickwheel ribbon cable, but a close-up examination showed that the traces on the ribbon cable were okay.

If I connect the nano to my laptop, it would properly boot -- apple logo showing, followed by rockbox logo, then the usual "do not disconnect" text. My Computer also detected my nano; I can browse through my files in the nano w/ no probs at all.

I wonder what could've caused this?

Pictures will follow soon; I don't have a camera in hand ATM.

Many thanks in advance for any insights provided.

Order a new ribbon cable. They are cheap and are usually the part that fails.

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #2,008 of 3,220
I once melted the mating connection for the ribbon cable. I accidentally touched it with the tip I guess. Its plastic melted over the contact pins, making contact very hard, and eventually impossible. I worked on it for a while, and cleaned it up, but it didn't last. old news though, I moved on to modding mini's which worked, and eventually got an ipod touch.
smily_headphones1.gif
though I've been too busy studying lately to really enjoy it anyway ;(

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #2,009 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I moved on to modding mini's which worked...

Have you compared diyMod Mini to iMod (or diyMod) 5G / 5.5G? Which is better in terms of SQ?

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #2,010 of 3,220
The 5G/5.5G is the mostly popular diyMod. I don't know if that has to do with the capacity, form factor, or sound quality, but consider that the Apple Universal Dock also has the same chip as the 5G/5.5G. Why do you ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back