The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jun 24, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #1,981 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaydes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just successfully Diymodded my 80gb iPod Video (with 30gb HD instead) with internal Capacitors. If anyone shows interest I might upload pics :p

Do it. DO IT!

wink_face.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #1,985 of 3,220
This is crappy.. I tried to diymod an iPod Mini 2G and now the sound is all crushed etc.. what is happening?
I used Cerafine 6.3vdc 47uF with the positive connected to the dock and the negative connected to the wire...

EDIT: Nevermind this post. I removed all caps and connected the right pads and it's working
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #1,986 of 3,220
Glad to hear it, Bonthouse. Enjoy your new player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaydes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread dried up like, one week ago =/

Yes, it tends to do that. I don't know, maybe people have read as much as they care to with this thread. I'm sure there'd be a small-sized explosion if we figured out the diyMods for the classic 6G, 7G, nano 4G, all the shuffles, iPhones 1G, 2G, 3G and 3GS. Unfortunately, we can only rely on the generosity of intrepid modders, and there isn't much we can do about that.

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #1,987 of 3,220
Hi guys erm, i just tried diying my 5.5gen ipod, kinda screw it up, so the right signal is missing, so there are 2 parts to solder right, one would be near the DAC chip, and 1 would be at the bottom with all the caps. I accidently pucked out the small pad near the DAC , that is suppose to be the right signal, is there anyway to get the right signal besides that part that i broken, and Pin 22 of the DAC? Thanks in advance for your help. Greatly appricated.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #1,988 of 3,220
Take out your trusty DMM and see if the south pad of L2 has continuity with pin 3 on the dock. If not, you may have to solder directly to the dock which is never a fun exercise. Which pad did you rip?

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #1,990 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP updated.
wink_face.gif

Dude
atsmile.gif

My picture has pride of place on the guides page.. cool

Good idea on the site Joneeboi, nicely broken down into handleable sections.

cool.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #1,991 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take out your trusty DMM and see if the south pad of L2 has continuity with pin 3 on the dock. If not, you may have to solder directly to the dock which is never a fun exercise. Which pad did you rip?

The top part near the DAC just above the DAC of the 5.5Gen, the Zcaps, pulled it and riped the right side of the pad... thanks for suggesting the DMM i will check if there is any signal running though the pads near the dac.

Its super hard to solder on the 22pin of the dac, way small, and its in between the other pins as well. if i screw this up it might just kill the ipod because its also connected to the 3.5mm female jack as well. if it spoils, so does the 3.5mm.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #1,992 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuatan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The top part near the DAC just above the DAC of the 5.5Gen, the Zcaps, pulled it and riped the right side of the pad... thanks for suggesting the DMM i will check if there is any signal running though the pads near the dac.

Its super hard to solder on the 22pin of the dac, way small, and its in between the other pins as well. if i screw this up it might just kill the ipod because its also connected to the 3.5mm female jack as well. if it spoils, so does the 3.5mm.

Hi joshuatan, not sure if you mean this pad but it is possible to solder to the trace running to the pin 23?

1st remove the Lefthand wire and clean up the solder and traces.

You need to carefully scratch the laquer off the trace making sure not to scratch any other traces. A craft knife is perfect for this. Then you need to get some flux on there using a flux pen or tothpick etc.
Pre-tin your soldering iron (wipe off excess) and quickly run it down the trace.
Now re-flux the trace.
If you are using stranded wire for your mod, take away as many strands as you need to get a thin enough wire to solder. Alternatively use thin 'wire wrap' wire as I have done in the past.
Pre tin the wire and then coat it in a 'little' flux.
Use blue tack or a clamp, crocodile clip etc to make sure the wire is in exactly the spot you want. Not too close to the solder joint, you need to get some epoxy on there afterwards. The wire should be lying parallel to the top of the DAC so you can pick up the longest part of the trace without bending the wire.
Then dab your pre-tinned & wiped soldering tip onto the wire and and down onto the trace....hope it grabs.
The trace may lift as it cools but dont worry as long as it doesn't break.
Now check for continuity from pin 23 to the wire using your DMM.
Now you need to re-attach the left wire.
If you are successful then get some epoxy (best) or hot glue on there before you try and remove any clamps or blue tack etc
It is possible, I did it
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #1,993 of 3,220
Another completed diyMod Mini 2G with new battery and CF card
smily_headphones1.gif

diyMod.jpg

Looks messy but note this is 0.5mm Mundorf SG
tongue.gif

After that I went on to something easier:
BatCF.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together
biggrin.gif

scren.jpg

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #1,994 of 3,220
Hey guys,

I've got an iPod 4g Photo. From what I can understand, applying this mod (without removing the 4 capacitors) will NOT disable the headphone jack and normal syncing and charging with the dock. Is this correct?

From what I can see from the photos, are the caps being used Black Gate 6.3V 47uF NX series?

Please let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys, it looks awesome

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #1,995 of 3,220
Quote:

I've got an iPod 4g Photo. From what I can understand, applying this mod (without removing the 4 capacitors) will NOT disable the headphone jack and normal syncing and charging with the dock. Is this correct?

That is correct

Quote:

From what I can see from the photos, are the caps being used Black Gate 6.3V 47uF NX series?

For internal caps, yes those are the caps of choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back