The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jun 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #1,952 of 3,220
^^ correct, I actually went to check that there wasnt some minute esoteric difference between parallel and bypass caps
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #1,953 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think perhaps there is some psycho-accoustics going on with your hearing
tongue.gif
all the same i'll knock up another 47uf LOD just to check.

I've considered that, but the statement of more bass still technically stands.
tongue.gif
I remember listening to my diyMod 4G + PIMETA, and when the 22 was installed, I just didn't like it. I didn't get quite the punch I wanted in my reference track, so I switched back and liked what I heard. I was listening with the 47s for who-remembers-how-long, and switching to the 22s made for an unenjoyable experience. I had to switch it immediately. That's my memory of my experience with the 22s and 47s. Remember that the transfer function of the first order high pass filter rolls off slowly, but I still don't think it actually accounts for the difference. Call it imagined.
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #1,954 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TeraHz:
I recommend using any of pins 15, 16, 29 and 30.

YES! I was wrong to assume that the big metal thingy was ground
biggrin.gif
- pins 29 and 30 did it!!!! Now I hear what I was expecting. Thanks!

diy the planet!

BTW how do you guys burn in the LOD's BG caps without destroying the ipod battery with discharges and charges every day?

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #1,955 of 3,220
Quote:

I've considered that, but the statement of more bass still technically stands.
tongue.gif
I remember listening to my diyMod 4G + PIMETA, and when the 22 was installed, I just didn't like it. I didn't get quite the punch I wanted in my reference track, so I switched back and liked what I heard. I was listening with the 47s for who-remembers-how-long, and switching to the 22s made for an unenjoyable experience. I had to switch it immediately. That's my memory of my experience with the 22s and 47s. Remember that the transfer function of the first order high pass filter rolls off slowly, but I still don't think it actually accounts for the difference. Call it imagined.
icon10.gif

yes the statement is still correct
tongue.gif
and might actually make an audible difference if you are using a 50 ohm pot hehe. the numbers I included have both the corner and top of that intermodulation (the roll-off of which you speak) the top of the 22uf was/is 1.446863121hz, there should be no effect after that. but yeah I will check all the same, stranger things have happened.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #1,956 of 3,220
Quote:

I had to switch it immediately. That's my memory of my experience with the 22s and 47s.
Call it imagined.
icon10.gif

It probably wasn't imagined Joneeboi.

The 47's would have been nicely bedded in but the 22's were fresh......

For me, I certainly can tell if a set of caps are burned in or not....

I've used silmic's in my amps that have taken quite some time to open up the lower bass....

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #1,957 of 3,220
yeah BG do take a fair while to develop/set. so that could indeed be the answer. lord knows the other doesnt make sense
tongue.gif
jk

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #1,958 of 3,220
Hey, Im going to bother you people again quickly...
wink.gif

Im going to mod my iPod Video 30gb and 80gb, and want to stil be able to use the headphone plug on the top of the iPod. I also want to avoid desoldering the 4 capacitors. How important is it that I do indeed desolder them?

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #1,960 of 3,220
I've decided I want to mod my 5th Gen Video now (I did my Mini awhile ago).

Does anyone have advice about how to open it? Maybe a link?

I've waited to do it because I'm worried about damaging it in the process. It's worn an invisible shield and been in an iSkin since I bought it, so it's still "pretty"
tongue.gif

With the Minis, I didn't care so much because they are already bought used and the end cap plastics are cheap and the only things that get damaged.

So I want to make sure I can do it well the first try.
smily_headphones1.gif

hmmm, maybe I should look for a cheap one on ebay to "practice" with hehe

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #1,961 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've decided I want to mod my 5th Gen Video now (I did my Mini awhile ago).

Does anyone have advice about how to open it? Maybe a link?
<snip>

It is in the first post as well:
iPod 5th Generation (Video)

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #1,964 of 3,220
Thank you!
Im going to do my diymod on my iPod video tonight... and im going to have the capacitors internal. I have abolutely no knowledge of this electrical engineering and such. What way around do the capacitors go? Z cap, Positive terminal, negative terminal dock connector? or the other way around?

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #1,965 of 3,220
@ Kaydes

Check out my huge post on page 130 of this thread
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back