The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
May 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #1,893 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My camera can't do macro, plus it is all back together again. It is aweful for close up stuff. I will try to show the whole rig eventually.

LOL you need to get a new camera. Even my cheap Canon point and shoot have macro feature now.

Anyway, looking forward to see your updated rig at the Portable Source section....
wink.gif

May 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #1,894 of 3,220
eventually i'll get up the gumption to do my iphone 3G, but i'll certainly need some liquid encouragement. I wonder how hard the 3G is to get open. that has been whats stopping me too; no doubt its even more of a PITA than the touch.

May 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #1,895 of 3,220
re macro shots.

My camera is cack at that, however, if good enough resolution camera (even 2-3 megapixels should be able to provide sufficient resolution), you should be able to take a relatively decent shot which you can then just expand in any image manipulation programme.

Just try to get good lighting and you're set.

May 3, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #1,896 of 3,220
I have an HP e427. It does have macro feature, but it isn't very good. I can try, but the iPod is all closed up as is the Dock. maybe should have thought about it beforehand, but eh...

I will try and get shots of the filmcap dock.

May 6, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #1,897 of 3,220
Pic of the New Film Cap Dock.

It is exactly 3" x 2" x 1" and just barely fits everything (required drilling).

Capacitors:

4.7uf Audiophiler MKP 3%
0.05uf Lily PIO (actually an extrodinary sounding old & rare japanese made PIO)

Then there are Vampire Gold plated Copper RCA outs in addition to the side Mini out.

HPIM0180.jpg

The sound is incredibly organic and highly detailed with a huge soundstage. I had thought of using a wima for the bypass cap because it is an airy sound, but it has a different character from the smoothness of the audiophiler caps. I wanted this to not have a single edge because the Cerafine can be a bit edgy. It is the closest sounding thing to my TT right now.

LOL - my portable setup with LOD is now 6.5inches long and 2.25inches wide along with 1.5 inches thick inclduing the iPod.

May 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #1,900 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are huge! How are you planning to use them?

Yes i will use them on my diy home dock will followed up
Photo later

May 8, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #1,902 of 3,220
Hi everybody,
So for my first post, I would like to thank all the people that invested time, sweat and money into making this mod possible
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have done the mod on my mini and i routed the the wires from the two caps to the headphone jack. The sound is good but i was wondering if there is an issue with my ground wire. At a moderate/high level, i hear a noise comparable to when you listen to music too loud for too long. I soldered the ground to the bottom metal plate protecting the dock connector. The noise is not that much of an issue when there is no quiet passage but it gets pretty annoying when im listening to hell's bells and i hear the tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut mixed with the bells.

oh and by the way i'm already sorry for my wallet
tongue.gif

May 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #1,905 of 3,220
Nice pics, Peter and Germania. I like the compactness of your dock, Germania. And Peter, your dock is really slick looking. Great job with the construction, both of you.

ttl_ctrll:

Try desoldering the ground wire. If you're using the headphone jack, you shouldn't need to resolder the ground wire. barqy tried that a while ago, and he got battery discharge problems on his 4G. We couldn't figure out what the heck happened, but you shouldn't even need that ground wire in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back