The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Oct 15, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #1,456 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I haven't actually cased up his car again because I didn't have a dash kit at the time (still don't). I recommend he not drive the car when he needs to park for extended periods because I fear someone would be encouraged to steal the darn thing. Plus he's been bothering me to get him another USB+line out dock. Either way, it seems to be a pretty sweet deck. What more could I really want? Actually, having album art would be nice, but I suppose I can't have my cake at the same time. It was a pretty good buy from Best Buy. I wouldn't necessarily say it was my best buy, but it was quite good.

DEH-P4000UB_main_lrg.jpg

how do I know thats real jon?lol looks like its been edited in photoshop hehe
tongue.gif
BTW where are you getting the USB LOD from? (<-cheeky grin)

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #1,458 of 3,220
Quote:

All real.
smily_headphones1.gif
No smoke or mirrors, just a product photo from the Pioneer website. And that "USB LOD" is just the regular USB cable that we all get with our NIB iPods.

I doubt thats a real product shot; its too perfectly front on and the specular highlight on the glass is too perfect if it was reall the camera and the person holding the camera would be reflected in the glass. thats a CGI rendering (I have some experience in CGI). AHA 'USB LOD' huh cool i'm making one (a crystal cables picollino one) for myself at the moment. I got it charging; just need to work out the rest of the pinouts for syncing etc.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #1,460 of 3,220
Quote:

Well, I haven't actually cased up his car again because I didn't have a dash kit at the time (still don't). I recommend he not drive the car when he needs to park for extended periods because I fear someone would be encouraged to steal the darn thing. Plus he's been bothering me to get him another USB+line out dock. Either way, it seems to be a pretty sweet deck. What more could I really want? Actually, having album art would be nice, but I suppose I can't have my cake at the same time. It was a pretty good buy from Best Buy. I wouldn't necessarily say it was my best buy, but it was quite good.

DEH-P4000UB_main_lrg.jpg

Is this for cars and if so, would anyone happen to know if I can install this on a Sienna??

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #1,462 of 3,220
Quote:

Hm. You learn something new every day. How are developments on your battery wires?

yeah I kmow its a bit nerdy feeling the need to point that stuff out
biggrin.gif
well I haven't actually got around to doing anything about the battery because there hasn't been any issue as yet (BTW is there any reason why I couldn't use an 850ma/h battery like those for the 60, 80gb 5.5G in my 30GB case I wouldn't mind getting better battery life with rockbox. it continues to work perfectly
biggrin.gif
I will only do it if I have to. I haven't done anything active with it yet (not that I ever really do; I use my iphone for that) but we'll see if it ever shakes loose.

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #1,463 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah I kmow its a bit nerdy feeling the need to point that stuff out
biggrin.gif
well I haven't actually got around to doing anything about the battery because there hasn't been any issue as yet (BTW is there any reason why I couldn't use an 850ma/h battery like those for the 60, 80gb 5.5G in my 30GB case I wouldn't mind getting better battery life with rockbox. it continues to work perfectly
biggrin.gif
I will only do it if I have to. I haven't done anything active with it yet (not that I ever really do; I use my iphone for that) but we'll see if it ever shakes loose.

You can use any battery you want as long as the voltage is the same. If it will fit, then I would put in the highest capacity battery I could find :p
I also wouldn't stress too much about the connector. You could always solder the battery wire to wherever it is supposed to attach to the mainboard. I realize this isn't ideal, but you're already doing hardware hacks on it. Some players have had the batteries soldered to the board as part of their design. You don't have to worry about a different battery affecting the charging circuit. Again, as long as it is the same voltage (3.7V I believe?). I highly doubt they are using a timer system for the charging circuit, so they most likely use a "smart" system. Li-on batteries increase in resistance as they charge, so the charging circuit monitors the resistance and reduces the current when it reaches some threshold. That's how it can charge quickly and still allow you to leave it plugged in without damaging the battery. So the circuit won't care about the capacity of the battery. It will just feed it a quick charge current longer before switching to the maintenance or trickle charge current level.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #1,464 of 3,220
I'm not a DIYer but I bought a DIYmod Ipod 4G from a local seller who had it modded by someone else. Can I ask:

1) If the headphone out is still volume controlled by the Ipod that would have to imply that the headphone out is not modified right?

2) To check what I received was the real deal, I opened the Ipod to see if there were any caps. Of course, it turns out that there was but it's not the "standard" design I see in some pictures in this thread. The caps are smaller and are positioned near the headphone out. Is this a common positioning for the caps and are these caps of lesser quality?

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #1,465 of 3,220
The diyMod doesn't mod the headphone out, only the lineout.

The Black Gate is really tiny so I'm not sure if you have the "standard" one or not. The arrangement of wire and caps depends on the maker, there's no fixed position.

Pics will be useful in this case.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #1,466 of 3,220
Thanks for your answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The diyMod doesn't mod the headphone out, only the lineout.

So this is unlike the RWA imod. Am I correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pics will be useful in this case.

I should have taken pics but didn't
tongue.gif
...maybe next time that I open it.

I've ordered a 1.8 IDE to CF card adaptor on ebay. Is there a brand of 32GB CF Card that's guaranteed to work with the Ipod?

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #1,467 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a DIYer but I bought a DIYmod Ipod 4G from a local seller who had it modded by someone else. Can I ask:

1) If the headphone out is still volume controlled by the Ipod that would have to imply that the headphone out is not modified right?

actually the 4G IMOD does mod the headphone out, so he could have done it the 'proper way' and yes lil knight is correct the blackgates are pretty small; the 47uf NXHQ which is the best for this purpose is about 5mmx6mm and a dark purply, blueish, blackish colour with rubicon written on it. If you're lucky he may have gone all the way and modded the HP out with better caps than standard; leaving the volume 'pot' untouched AND modded the lineout by taking the signal to the dock and then using that with a capped dock for superior output to what any caps that can fit inside will provide.

but yes pics please. unytil you know whether the lineout has been modded, make sure you dont use it with anything that doesn't have some kind of input caps; whether in a capped dock or otherwise. Some amps have input caps built in so those are fine but if not the DC offset could ruin your gear.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #1,468 of 3,220
Thanks qusp, I was confused because the seller told me that the headphone out was modded yet the volume control still works. Perhaps he was referring to what you were talking about.

The problem with taking pictures is that the caps are somehow attached (glued?) to the part with the headphone out with some wire connecting them to the main board. This means that it's not straightforward to detach the back of the Ipod completely in order to take photos. I will try next time I take the cover off.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #1,469 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but yes pics please. unytil you know whether the lineout has been modded, make sure you dont use it with anything that doesn't have some kind of input caps; whether in a capped dock or otherwise. Some amps have input caps built in so those are fine but if not the DC offset could ruin your gear.

Well it works with a normal line out so I guess the internal caps are attached properly.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #1,470 of 3,220
Quote:

What year is your Sienna? I used www.carstereohelp.com to find out how to open up my cars to get to the stereos. See if you can find your model at this link. Here's another resource once you get to the actual radio: 2008 Toyota Sienna Car Radio Wiring Color Codes

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna and the receiver in that car is messed up. If what i'm seeing seems pretty straight forward, I might give it a try. What do you think?

Edit: Just looked at your first link and clicked on a sample guide, and it shows a very good detailed instruction on how to remove the door speakers, is it the same style when removing the center receiver? The second link doesn't seem to be of much help, and the third one, well I don't know how to use that website for now... will I need on a 2005 sienna?

Thanks for your help and the links!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back