The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Aug 14, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #1,321 of 3,220
no_eye_dear and joneeboi: thanks for the links. This is very similar to what I was thinking- looks like they gutted an apple dock though and just used its casing and inserted their own dock connector and wiring huh? I found a few pics of the inside of a stock apple dock and it looks like it might be difficult to tap into some of the existing wiring. But a dock-integrated solution is what I would prefer ideally since my intention is to maybe pick up an iPod, DIYMod it, and use it as a stationary source for a listening nook. The reason I like the dock is because a) it's going to be a stationary system and thus I'd really like wall power and the best line-out I can get- and b) I really dig the idea of having the apple IR remote so I can change tracks, etc. without having to either lean up to the iPod or remove it from the dock (thus interrupting the music feed to the amp- both inconvenient and possibly not good for the amp?)

Ruahrc

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #1,322 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruahrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like they gutted an apple dock though and just used its casing and inserted their own dock connector and wiring huh? Ruahrc

Indeed that is what I did, although I just inserted a set of caps and RCA's... very cheap dock off the bay.
Quote:

I found a few pics of the inside of a stock apple dock and it looks like it might be difficult to tap into some of the existing wiring. Ruahrc

Should be easy if you use the line-out pins.
Quote:

I really dig the idea of having the apple IR remote so I can change tracks, etc. without having to either lean up to the iPod or remove it from the dock Ruahrc

This is where I am @ now... I use the HP out direct from the DAC and run it through a cap directly into a tA2024 amp, no dc coupling at the moment.
This way the remote is not using an extra volume attenuator as you find in some docks.
I'm actually back on my 4G as well as I prefer the sound once the DSP is set to match my room acoustics.
Happy modding
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #1,323 of 3,220
Hey everybody,

I've decided to look into upgrading my ipod's sq and I came across this thread. I read the first few pages until I realized there are about 130 pages on this thread. I tried the search function for the info i needed but there was just soo much information to go through. Anyway I wanted to know why people don't simply use a line out cable with the capacitors connected onto them rather than go through the process of bypassing the amplifier of the ipod? I mean doesn't the dock line out bypass the amplifier itself?

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #1,324 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everybody,

I've decided to look into upgrading my ipod's sq and I came across this thread. I read the first few pages until I realized there are about 130 pages on this thread. I tried the search function for the info i needed but there was just soo much information to go through. Anyway I wanted to know why people don't simply use a line out cable with the capacitors connected onto them rather than go through the process of bypassing the amplifier of the ipod? I mean doesn't the dock line out bypass the amplifier itself?

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Yes, the stock line out does bypass the iPod's amplifier, but there are still several non-audiophile components in the signal path. This mod bypasses all that and takes the signal directly from the DSP to the dock connector.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #1,325 of 3,220
Thanks Hayduke, on a side note, has anyone tried this mod with the shure se530's? I am very annoyed by the hiss and I thought it might have been a defect from the headphones, but from other posts and after speaking with the Shure folks, I now know it's not a defect. I was wondering if the hissing stops if I do the mod and use a portable amp (like the ibasso D2 or perhaps a tomahawk) with the shures.

Thanks again

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #1,326 of 3,220
I finished my 4G Photo last night, hooked it up, and ..... nuttin'. Sooooo,
I checked for continuity with my wiring and everything checked out OK, which led me to think that I was connected to the wrong pads to pick up the signal. I checked for continuity between the DAC chip and the pads I was hooked up to, and nuttin' again. So, here's the deal:

The pic on page one of this thread shows the board upside down. When we were talking 'north' and 'south', I assumed that they were in relation to how the pic was shown. Nope! The signal goes from the DAC chip to the pads that are alone; that is, they have no traces connected to them. Not the pads that have a trace pass through them to the second resistor. In other words, when looking at the page one pic, it will be the bottom pad of each resistor.

Sorry to cause so much trouble. Heck, I'm probably the only person here still trying to mod a 4G Photo.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #1,327 of 3,220
After a very long time, my brother and I finished our diyMOD nano (and we both agree we don't want it anymore - I'm using a Zune, I'm getting my brother a 3G nano off a head-fier). We pretty much destroyed the exterior trying to open the darn thing, the plastic tools we got in a kit ended up completely ruined, so we ended up using a thick flat head screwdriver to get the thing open (and chipping the plastic front half everywhere). The soldering itself was the easier part IMO, the LOD was a bit trickier but it works! Here are some in progress pics!

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

We don't have an amp right now to test it fully, but we hooked it up to the microphone port on my laptop and used Sound Recorder. The music played, was loud and sounded very raw/static-y. Same thing happened with our stock iPod video, so we're hoping the nano or the LOD aren't to blame. If anybody can verify that you're meant to get this kind of noise in the microphone port, please say so.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #1,328 of 3,220
You should solder the wire on the left to the other side of the cap, like the one on the right (check out the picture on the first post of this thread).

The static sound is probably clipping due to the sensitivity of of the laptop's sound card.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #1,329 of 3,220
I never thought of that. I thought this way would just have been more convenient as I could make a path between the chips to get to the LO pads.

I guess I can pull it open. Is it likely that it causing the issue? There is a tiny bit of slack in the wire, probably enough to route it along the right of that left cap.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #1,330 of 3,220
funch:

Right, that's my bad for not specifying that the board is upside-down. I thought the north would make it clear, but I was clearly mistaken. =T I will fix that right away. Is the mod working out for you yet?
redface.gif

4saken:

darkfury18 is correct: the wire on C53 should go on the striped side of the capacitor and then through to your diyMod dock. I also found the nano 1G to be one of the more difficult iPods to open. There were some videos online somewhere (ifixipodsfast.com? Maybe they took them down; I'm sure YouTube has plenty), but they really helped me open up my iPods. Hope you get your nano working the way you want it to.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #1,331 of 3,220
I should have recommended this item long, long ago, but I'm doing it now because I have free time.
biggrin.gif
My dad got me this for Christmas, and it has been supplying me with some pretty great tunes for a long time. In the ever-vibrant spirit of DIY, I have taken it apart and put it back together a whole bunch of times to make it fit my personal use. I present,

the iPod 3-in-1 FM Transmitter, Charger, and Holster!

hhi31fmtrans.jpg

It fits my car's DC jack well without obstructing the other car functions (2002 Suzuki Aerio), and the sound quality is really good for a lot of my music. I listen mostly with my iPhone now, and this charger is one reason why I don't strongly pursue the diyPhone. I like the way the sound hits my ear with the combo of the iPhone, the transmitter, car stereo's EQ and speakers, so no mod for now.
smily_headphones1.gif

The main thing I don't like about this thing is that it clips once the music gets too loud or too complicated (some types of classical music), but for the most part, that isn't a problem. However, I would like to listen to all my music any time, as the clipping has ruined my ability to listen to some of songs through the transmitter. Nevertheless, I recommend it to all of you with a need for an iPod car thing. I may even post a short tutorial of the mods I performed on the bad boy.

Good price with reviews: DealExtreme: $14.04 For iPod 3-in-1 Car Kit White
Good write-up: iPod FM Transmitter with Chargers and Car Holder, iPod FM Transmitter

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #1,332 of 3,220
joneeboi;4615059 said:
funch:

Right, that's my bad for not specifying that the board is upside-down. I thought the north would make it clear, but I was clearly mistaken. =T I will fix that right away. Is the mod working out for you yet?
redface.gif

Hey, no problem. It's one of those DIY learning experiences. At least now I understand how this works a little better.
After I moved the wires to the correct pickup points, I put it all back together and booted it up.When it got to the menu, it froze up, then shut down. Apparently in my haste to take it apart after the first try, I ripped one side of the headphone jack ribbons loose from the plug at the cable's end, so I'm assuming that's why it wouldn't boot up. I've got a new cable coming in, so I'll let y'all know how things turn out.

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #1,334 of 3,220
I can't decide which dead iPod to get for modding, a gen 5.0 80 gb or a 5.5 60gb. I intend to substitute the HD for CF, using the empty space to house the caps and use the HP jack as the line-out.

Also, any tips on making the output caps easily swappable?
Sorry if this was covered, but there's a lot of info here to sort through.

Aug 17, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #1,335 of 3,220
funch:

I'm crossing my fingers. *crosses fingers* Here's hoping.

LeBuLLet:

It depends on how you want it set up. If you want it to go out the dock, you'll need wires, between 24-30AWG in the 4G and maybe 30-32AWG in the 5G, capacitors that are rated for at least 2V, and a line out dock.

4G: wires and capacitors inside the iPod, and line out dock to your amp
5G: wires inside the iPod, capacitors in the line out dock to your amp

If you send the signal to your headphone jack, then you won't need the line out dock but a mini-to-whatever-termination-you-want cable.

Moontan13:

I'd say get the 5.5G because it's newer.
biggrin.gif
I think they use the same back casing, but I could be wrong. If you wanted, after the CF conversion, you could use some sort of Molex or crimp connectors so you can easily swap out the capacitors. A more crude solution would be to twist your wires together and cover them with electric tape.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back