The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jun 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #1,141 of 3,220
gueri_fr:

It's great to see you finally finishing your diyMod! I will add the very interesting photos when I get home from work. You have crystallized what I theorized with the CF adapter, and for that, I thank you for your dedication to this thread. Thank you for sharing the mod, and I'm sure many others, quiet as they are, are grateful for your work. Cheers!

patton713MW:

I know I would appreciate you sharing your photos.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm always looking for better photos with which to update the front page, so anything helps. I've found that the line out signals usually just have the CRL filter between the DAC and the dock, so it'll be interesting to see how it works in this version. Please feel free to share away.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #1,143 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by patton713MW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks very clean! Is that a 5G?

yes patton713MW, it's a 5.5G with Rockbox.

Hi joneeboi,
I thank you too for your work to this thread. It's a mine of information!

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #1,144 of 3,220
It's cause of hard-working guys like you that somehow keep this old thread alive. So far, it's sitting at third most replies and fourth most views of non-stickied threads. Let's keep the magic alive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #1,145 of 3,220
Joneeboi - Did that picture I posted with the closeup of the caps and resistors help? When I start working on my Millett MAX (hopefully in a few weeks) I will buy the parts to mod my 3G at the same time, and I'll post some pictures of the mod process.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #1,146 of 3,220
Your photos, as with all photos, is greatly appreciated. With the 25 photo per thread limit, I'm reminded why I somewhat started on a website for this stuff. Wow, I need to start on that.

Keep us posted on the mod. What parts do you need to buy for your diyMod that you can plop together in an order for your MAX? All I'm envisioning is a pair of caps and some wire, unless you're buying a new soldering station or some premium items from parts conneXion.

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #1,147 of 3,220
Exactly, the caps and wire.

About the soldering station: I'm just using 40w and 15w RadioShack irons right now, and I can still do decent work with them. However, I know the value of decent irons (used a weller at work), and I am toying with the idea of getting a decent soldering station. Any recommendations? Think any headfi-er will do a used sale? Or am I better off buying a new one?

edit- Oh, I'd also like to pick up a dock connector and 3.5mm connector to make a LOD... Need interconnect wire too... Dang, I need to study up on the DIY cable thread.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #1,150 of 3,220
Researching the Hakko 936... quite tempting...
biggrin.gif

edit - Out of these tips (medium size), which two additional tips would you recommend to cover everywhere from regular work to very fine work? Remember that it comes with the 900M-T-1.6D tip already.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #1,151 of 3,220
Hi Guy's need some input if you could chaps
redface.gif

I have a 5.5G logicboard that was behaving a bit wierd and on closer inspection the last three pins on the dock have been mashed.
They are the Firewire grounds and data pins....
The USB connection doesn't seem to work properly so I'm wondering if the FW pins are needed in some way even though the 5.5's dont use FW?
I could get it working by replacing the pins... fiddly but doable
wink.gif

But I'm not going to bother if the pins are truly unnecessary.
Any thoughts guys?
confused.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #1,152 of 3,220
Personally, I use a standard soldering station bought in my usual electronic reseller. Searching on the web, it's a china model Zhongdi Manufacture Co.,Ltd.. But it's good for me, I used it from time to time. The Hakko 936 looks very nice
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_eye_dear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The USB connection doesn't seem to work properly so I'm wondering if the FW pins are needed in some way even though the 5.5's dont use FW?

Hi no_eye_dear,
I think the 5.5G can only use the firewire pins to charge the battery.

gueri_fr

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #1,153 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by patton713MW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Researching the Hakko 936... quite tempting...
biggrin.gif

edit - Out of these tips (medium size), which two additional tips would you recommend to cover everywhere from regular work to very fine work? Remember that it comes with the 900M-T-1.6D tip already.

I personally own a Hakko 936, best investment ever
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #1,154 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by no_eye_dear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could get it working by replacing the pins... fiddly but doable
wink.gif

But I'm not going to bother if the pins are truly unnecessary.
Any thoughts guys?
confused.gif

This is from the iPod wiki entry on wikipedia:
Quote:

As of the first generation iPod nano and the fifth generation iPod classic, Apple discontinued using FireWire for data transfer and made a full transition to USB 2.0 in an attempt to reduce cost and form factor. With these changes, FireWire could only be used for recharging.

Sounds like you don't need them. Good luck getting it to work again!

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #1,155 of 3,220
Hi guys after reading the review of 21 different types of capacitors.i'm interested to diy a dock for my RWA 5.5 Gen iMod using Audio Note/silver or TFTF Vcap.i had actually diy a mundorf silver/oil 4.7uf cap dock before and really enjoyed it very much. Anyone advise me which value to use as i'm a technical idiot! Will 0.1uf be similar sounding towards my present Mcap 4.7uf?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back