The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Feb 10, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #886 of 3,220
Don't worry so much about what everyone else is hearing. If it's neutral to you, then it's neutral. We've already had a few members who were not impressed by the diyMod's sound and whose impressions didn't match those of the iMod listeners. When you're listening to it, don't worry so much about trying to pick up on the nuances. If they're there, they'll present themselves. Don't think about it too much, just listen.
wink.gif

Maybe I did give you too much credit on the unused pin part (don't worry, you can keep it
biggrin.gif
). Nevertheless, we've stumbled upon a serendipitous observation: there are now tons more unused pins in the nano of which we had no idea. That allows direct-to-dock solderers more space with which to work, so mishaps like ruZZ.il's click wheel ribbon cable slot melting accident can hypothetically be reduced in occurrence and likelihood. To push the matter even further, I'm requesting that diyModders and/or the average iPod-owning DIYer can confirm the usability of pins 8, 9 and 10 on their respective iPod models. I know what the pinouts.ru site says, that 9 and 10 are only used on the 4G photo and that 8 is the video pin for video-capable and photo iPods, but I just wanted to double check. They really ought to make a list for each iPod line up to notify users of such tidbits as the FireWirelessness of the nanoes. Perhaps we can even whip up our own list. Thanks, everyone.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #888 of 3,220
I use LAME vbr-v0....

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #891 of 3,220
I don't have a nano, but I LAME MP3 320kbps CBR.

I should also mention that I removed the DZP transistor that's been itching on our minds and it doesn't affect the presence of sound on the line out. I wonder what it does do...All the other pins go to ground, but I don't know what that really means.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #892 of 3,220
Jon, you're a KING! (you know what that means?) Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Also, regarding the first gen mini mod, I've got some findings regarding the mod position. The 2 points stated above are actually the post-amplified points, hence their effect from the volume control, and they sounds just as bad as the internal amplifier, too.
On the other side there are 2 little caps, C54, C53 that I found trying to scope out traces from the dock. By removing those caps and either jumpering them to maintain the usual dock out pins (there is still 100ohm in series between those caps and the output, so either find them and jumper too, or just leave as is) or by removing those caps and taking their higher contacts through leads to new dock pins (would need to file away a little of the board on some edge to get the wires around flush with the edge) is the way to go. The difference between these 2 spots and the ones originally stated in the OP is immediately evident. I'll have some pics when I get a chance, probably after exams ;( meanwhile, I'll be trying to get ahold of mini of my own or 2.. maybe I'll buy 3 or 4 broken ones off ebay and make 2 or 3 working ones.. with some 16gb compact flash cards in em
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure there would be interest in that!
16/32gb diyModed minis, anyone?

Feb 11, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #894 of 3,220
Thanks for that, Russ. Scratch my back, scratch yours.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad you could find some contacts aside from the ones I found because for the life of me, I couldn't find the contacts from the line level outputs. You've inspired me to look into it further, but again, after exams. Enjoy the package.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #898 of 3,220
Oh right, CAvanessia's name is Christine.
tongue.gif

Good reading material that I foolishly haven't mentioned yet.
Input Capacitors for Headphone Amps

ruZZ.il:

I wonder about your sound impression of the cap positions I mentioned before, since the signals are identical between C53/C54 (yours) and C86/C87 (mine), at least according to the datasheet. The only difference is the 100ohms thing and the fact that there's a volume control on C86/C87. Turn up the volume and you should technically have the same signal.

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #899 of 3,220
well, I initially did the original mod. using my cutom dock, it sounded.. muffled, plain and boring.. changing to a normal dock it had the clarity and detail that a Line out shout, indicating imediately that the original points most probably are'nt line level and the aweful sound is probably due to some internal amplification (which is probably what the volume control is there for). I immediately tried to scope out the surrounding cap like components to no avail, so I looked for pairs of caps on the board.. finding "C53" and "C54" rung a bell (arent they the same numbers as another mod?). scoped them out and they had a signal.. measure the resistance to a normal dock out pin and got 100Ohm, so they're line level. removed the caps, took the signal from the top contact (also, I think the inner one closer to the center of the board is left.. by measuring the path resistance to the norml dock pin). hooked it all up and was immediately met by the clear and detailed again
smily_headphones1.gif
knowing that I at-least tapped the right signal, removed tiny cheap caps from the line, and have some BGs in there. Listened happily for a while
smily_headphones1.gif
Will see how it goes..
Mind pointing me to the D.S?

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #900 of 3,220

Users who are viewing this thread

Back