The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #647 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well any cap with the same value should do the work
it only cost cents
47uf 6.3 V easily avaliable i guess not necessary to use black Gate
Correct me if i am wrong

Well, if caps internal to an iPod are wanted, this is a case where size matters
smily_headphones1.gif

I had difficulty finding 10uf+ non-polar in a size like BG's 5x7 NX22s for my 3G... Plus if we are caring about SQ (the whole reason for this upgrade), I'd like to *try* to stick w/known quantities like the BGs.

But it was tempting to just trot down to RS & pick up 4 10-20uf tantalums for a quick test (since back-to-back will = 1/2 individ. tantalum value, but reference for my 3G is 1uf so I figured 5uf+ would be o.k.).

N.B. Ran across this Wolfson whitepaper that might be of interest... It seems to confirm that 10uf+ may be desired & says tantalum is "a good second choice" to polymer/alum electrolytic (but that's OEM info I guess, not necessarily directed at audiophiles
smily_headphones1.gif
It also refers to this for more cpl cap info.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #648 of 3,220
limathy is looking to diyMod a nano 1G, so internal caps would be difficult to accomplish. limathey, what you could do is hit up any of the boutique capacitor suppliers in my sig and make an external dock much like those in the OP. That way, you can roll caps to see which one you like best. We've seen VCaps, Sonicaps and BGs docks so far, so maybe you can try a different brand and report on the sound quality. I have some Sprague Vitamin Qs I'm considering, but I'm debating whether or not I should throw them into the MAX. A while back, Nichicon Silmic IIs were recommended as an alternative to BGs because of their good sound, low cost, and relative ease of access thanks to Digikey.

You would do well to read the numerous "This boutique cap is the best!" threads and find the ones that suit your sound preferences the best. Just remember that you need at least 1uF. From those Wolfson papers, it seems tantalums and aluminum electrolytics (or aluminium for those of you from the land down under) would work fine.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #649 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe you should make another seperated thread for Zune, Jon...cos it's a lili bit out of topic if you make a topic about it here, cmiiw...
tongue.gif

I thought about it, but it actually goes in line with the ideology of the diyMod: simplify the signal path between the DAC and the amplifier. Granted, you'd have to change the thread's title, but with this whole new title-of-the-thread-creates-the-link business, changing the title will destroy every link in the world wide web. Besides, it would bring Apple and Microsoft DAP users closer than ever because they would share in the same legacy. I think Zune owners deserve to have a proper line out, don't you? I haven't heard from the Zune 2Gs, but I know that the first ones had a volume controlled, who-knows-what's-in-the-signal-path line out. It would be pretty cool if we could help those Zune owners out. *cough wgr73 cough*
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #650 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
limathy is looking to diyMod a nano 1G, so internal caps would be difficult to accomplish. <snip>

True enough and wondering how that "Caps inside iPod, use uncapped line out dock" config option came about under the "iPod nano 1G" (maybe holes?) & sorta gave up trying to comb this large thread for it.
Edit: Ahh, yes, holes it was
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would do well to read the numerous "This boutique cap is the best!" threads and find the ones that suit your sound preferences the best. Just remember that you need at least 1uF. From those Wolfson papers, it seems tantalums and aluminum electrolytics (or aluminium for those of you from the land down under) would work fine.

Yes, best to steer clear of a "best cap" diversion.
I guess I'm done here till I post results & pics of the 3G work I'm planning.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #651 of 3,220
Yeah, ishtob put the caps in his nano, but they are popping out the side for those that don't mind. We'll eagerly await your numerous high resolution, how-to pictures of the 3G.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #652 of 3,220
OK

finally got my modified ipod working (also incased)

basically what had happened was, taken off the resistors made the hold switch off.

so after much help from vlad, he figured out i needed to bridge/short some of the pins on the pcb board togther.

this completely eliminated the need for a ribbon cable + the black male connector which allowed me to fit th BG caps like RWA in the top right corner.

smily_headphones1.gif

What is the best process for burning in caps?

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #653 of 3,220
Here is my super temporary Sonicap setup until they are fully burned in (200 hours I guess). I have two 4.7uf GenI with 0.1uf GenII caps in parallel. From initial impressions, it *seems* that the bass hits slightly harder and deeper than the BGs that have around 50 hours of burn-in. Also it seems more spatious.

I don't know if I should roll caps since these sound good enough. I really want to try some Obbligatos since they are fairly affordable and according to one or two reviews to be better than the Sonicaps. We'll see after a few days
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #655 of 3,220
Hey this is more Directed at VVS but whomever can give me an answer will be rewarded w/ a smile *youll just have to take my word on this* but I saw he DIY'ed a (ALO) Sonic-cap dock & was wondering if and when you go this route do you still need to mod the ipod for best results ? or do you mod and leave the BG caps out ? or what steps if any change

*(yea i know that might not make sence but it beats scratching my head when im at that point)*

thanks all

Jan 8, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #656 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatHairyWomyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey this is more Directed at VVS but whomever can give me an answer will be rewarded w/ a smile *youll just have to take my word on this* but I saw he DIY'ed a (ALO) Sonic-cap dock & was wondering if and when you go this route do you still need to mod the ipod for best results ? or do you mod and leave the BG caps out ? or what steps if any change

*(yea i know that might not make sence but it beats scratching my head when im at that point)*

thanks all

you would need to solder wire crom c84/86 (on a 4th gen) directly to the line out dock (L2/L3 pins).

then you can use the sonic cap dock.

you won't need the BG caps, since you're using sonic caps right?

Jan 8, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #657 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatHairyWomyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks all

VVS' awesome docks are intended to work with the diyMod'ed iPods (what this whole thread is about). The Sonicaps are meant as replacements for the blackgate capacitors.

You need to have some caps somewhere in the setup. You can either fit them inside the iPod (the older iMods), fit them inside the iMod cables (5g iMods + ALO iMod cables), or fit them in an external case (ALO V-cap dock and VVS' dock).

It doesn't make sense to use these parts with a stock iPod.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #658 of 3,220
complete mine ipod mod and ask a friend to compare with his RWA which he ordered

of course he got the signture sound same as which i DIY have to let the set run in for a while

Catch up with you guys

Peter
Singapore

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #659 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
complete mine ipod mod and ask a friend to compare with his RWA which he ordered

of course he got the signture sound same as which i DIY have to let the set run in for a while

Catch up with you guys

Peter
Singapore

Please keep us updated with the RWA iMod vs. diyMod.
cool.gif

If anyone is interested in my 220uf BG dock, please send me a PM.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #660 of 3,220
FatHairyWomyn:

Love the forum handle.

vvs_75's Sonicap dock is meant to replace the BGs so that one can enjoy the fruits of different caps' labour. BGs are known for their quality and specs, but should one prefer a different sounding dielectric or brand, they can do so with the diyMod.

I've spent the past two days working on my PIMETA and an A47. The PIMETA is for my dad, which he greatly appreciated *wipes tear*, so I'll have the A47, a Mini^3, an RA-1 Clone, and my Millett Hybrid MAX to "roll" with my diyMod. I really like the sound of the PIMETA and A47, but I just don't have enough opamps to enjoy them at the same time. I'm sticking to the BGs for my diyMod, so now I don't know what I'll do with those $10/ea Vitamin Qs. I'm sure I can figure something out. I gotta grab some OPA2227s. Now I just need time to sit down and listen to them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back