The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 18, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #3,076 of 3,220
Can I do the capless mod directly to the lod of an ipod 5.5 with a fiio l9 lod, a topping nx1 amp and a pair of shure se215? (I know that it's better if I upgrade my setup, but right now I don't have a job and to be honest I neither have any kind of soldering experience).

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #3,077 of 3,220
Can I do the capless mod directly to the lod of an ipod 5.5 with a fiio l9 lod, a topping nx1 amp and a pair of shure se215? (I know that it's better if I upgrade my setup, but right now I don't have a job and to be honest I neither have any kind of soldering experience).

If your amp has a capacitor to block DC, then go for it, else the amplified DC will do some damage to your earphone.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,079 of 3,220
  Don't know. I just asked in the amp thread... however, what's the difference in your mod between the se and the balanced one?

No difference. Differences are balanced or single ended termination.

If you mean the differences between iphd mod and diymod, it would be the cabling for grounding/-ve path. For diymod, the bypass and cabling are done on the signal path only while iphd mod is for both +ve and -ve path. However for iphd mod, the player will not be able to play on stock or original rockbox firmware and require custom rockbox firmware.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #3,080 of 3,220
I asked in the topping thread and they told me this:
"They're 1uF polypropylene with 0.1uF PP bypass caps that will block DC but, because the input impedance is high, they won't cause too much low-frequency roll-off."
"The NX1 is is 0.5dB down at 20Hz, which will be inaudible. Yes, you could remove the output caps on the iPod since the NX1's input caps perform the same function. But it looks very fiddly."

I think I'll go for a direct-out diymod capless. Anyway, if the music volume is too low can I add the cap in the lod right? Any raccomandation for the wire or other thing?

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #3,081 of 3,220
I got a NOS iPod.

Do you think I should MOD it?
Or should I buy other new version player instead?

I don't know DIYmod.
If you think I should MOD it, what is the best option I could have now?

Thanks so much

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #3,082 of 3,220
Hi,

here [http://redwineaudio.com/mods/imod] they offer an Ipod mod. Since they mod it via a “custom dock connector”, I assume they are offering the classic diyMod (with external caps).

Now, is really what is claimed there, that is

IMod improvements over stock iPod:

Increased resolution of fine detail
Better bass control and definition
A richer, more seductive midrange
Superior treble extension and sweetness
A larger more 3-dimensional soundstage

Product Features:

Exclusively for 4th, 5th and 5.5 generation iPods
Leverages built-in Wolfson DAC (same DAC used in many pricey CD players)
Bypasses iPod’s analog stage that was not designed for audiophile playback

Specifications:

iMod line out voltage: ~1.0 Vrms
Output impedance: < 1k
Battery life: Same as stock iPod

5th and 5.5 generation iPod:

Headphone jack remains unchanged, and can be used for headphones
iPod’s internal docking connector now outputs an audiophile-grade signal
5G / 5/5G iMods require ALO Audio iMod dock cable
Apple-supplied USB cables still support charging and music transfer"

achievable via the "portable" dynMod (with internal caps – such as Black Gate NX Hi-Q 6.3V 22uF or 47uF) illustrated at this link [http://www.tarkan.info/20090113/tutorials/modding-audiophile-meets-ipod-diymod]?

If yes, I am really interesting to mod my Ipod with internal caps, but I am not able to do it in my own. At this end, if there is anyone available to help me somehow, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #3,083 of 3,220
Hey all,

First post here after reading headfi for almost 4 years!

Thing is I found an almost 10-year old IPod 5G and decided to mod it.

I have some questions, please bear with me as I have ZERO experience in electrical engineering (I took really long to read the entire thread, oh well but some of the jargon is too difficult for me to understand)

What is the size of the capacitor that I should look for if I am using an IPod 5G 30GB

Does the voltage of the capacitor matter? (I've seen people use 6.7V for the BG caps)

What is general consensus on the type of capacitor, there are people using 4.7uf, 47uf, 22uf, is there a recommended one that I should use?

I am leaning towards a more bassy signature, does different caps affect the SQ?

Also, anyone with experience about the direct method without caps that Dminor posted?

Does it mean I just have to connect from the DAC left/right to the LOD pins without going to the onboard dock connectors?

Do I have to "desolder the coupling  capacitors near the DAC, the inductors near the dock, and the capacitors that comes right after the dock inductor." as mentioned in the website in order to reroute?

http://www.tarkan.info/20090113/tutorials/modding-audiophile-meets-ipod-diymod/2

Sorry for the long list of questions, lots of the guides on the web have been removed and leaving some with expired photos :frowning2: I really hope some1 would make a new guide soon!

Thank you all for the valuable 200+ pages thread!

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #3,084 of 3,220
Direct out is cleanest (I did it before dminor).
You do not need to unsolder anything with direct out, only cut the out pins connection to board.
Adding caps will change sound slightly.
Though you will need amp with caps on input.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #3,085 of 3,220
Thank you for the kind reply!
Does that mean if I added caps within in the ipod, its okay if i do not have any input caps on my amp? (im looking at diy partially for fun and also costs reasons, not really motivated to get a new amp :/ )

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #3,086 of 3,220
Hello,

I'm also interested into mod my two iPod's (5.5 with 80GB and 5th Video with 30 GB). The last one will get a 64GB-SDXC-card mod with stuff from Tarkan. Also on his side there is a description of a diyMOD of an iPod (5.5 gen.) with internal caps. I understood that this is not a direct out mod. With this description you don't need a special custom dock connector. Am I right?
Unfortunatelly most of the links here in this thread are deat or the images posted are gone.

The user "paulus germanus" posted a link with images. Is this a direct-out mod? I just want to be clear.
For a direct-out mod I need a custom dock connector. Where can I find one or a how-do to make one?

Thanks in advance
Huberer

May 23, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #3,087 of 3,220
I want to do a capless mod to the default Line out (Which would be L2 and L2 if I'm not mistaken). Then use a Fiio Line out to the UHA-6S MK2.
Am I correct in assuming that I only need to remove the caps next to the DAC (As seen here: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/jERiCOh/IMG_5689.jpg) and for the 2 line out pins (As seen here: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/jERiCOh/IMG_5683.jpg) and then solder the wires from the DAC outputs to L2 and L3?

On top of that I want to install an mSata SSD using Tarkan's adapter. The ipod should run rockbox. I've read a few things and it seems that I need to use beyondwind's patched rockbox version to get mSata SSD support in rockbox. Has anyone got a decent explanation of how to do a 1TB SSD Rockbox Ipod?

May 23, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #3,088 of 3,220
  Hello,

I'm also interested into mod my two iPod's (5.5 with 80GB and 5th Video with 30 GB). The last one will get a 64GB-SDXC-card mod with stuff from Tarkan. Also on his side there is a description of a diyMOD of an iPod (5.5 gen.) with internal caps. I understood that this is not a direct out mod. With this description you don't need a special custom dock connector. Am I right?
Unfortunatelly most of the links here in this thread are deat or the images posted are gone.

The user "paulus germanus" posted a link with images. Is this a direct-out mod? I just want to be clear.
For a direct-out mod I need a custom dock connector. Where can I find one or a how-do to make one?

Thanks in advance
Huberer

I'm not an expert, but the L2 and L3 are the default audio line outs, so a normal Fiio L9 should theoretically work. I'm looking into doing the exact same thing but capless. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #3,089 of 3,220
Hello All! New to the forum so a brief introduction.

I'm a former electronic tech and business owner. I've built guitar tube amps from scratch and worked with SM components when they were first employed in Car Audio and when desoldering stations were few and very expensive. We used to replace micros (96 pins or more if memory serves me) with just a 40W soldering iron and a dental pick. And yes they worked! LOL We did 100% QC on our work.

OK so I really like the thread and all of the info provided. 

Some observations and questions:

I have a 4G iPod A1367 EMC2407 supposedly with the Wolfson WM8975 chip. Glass top, Silver Back and VERY THIN.

I use my 4G in a number of ways: Mowing the lawn (earbuds with Ear Protection over them), in the car, background music when my band is on a break and of course for my listening pleasure when I can appreciate some quiet time.

I've read through probably 125+ pages some in detail, some skimming - early, middle, and later posts.

I like idea of using a Direct Out method but have an observation and a question for the engineers or those who have done multiple different mods.

I could have missed this so please accept my apologies if I did.

Can't one just run 2 wires from the DAC out to 2 unused pins on the 30 pin connector, wire an external connector for L,R, and ground and leave the rest of the wiring "As Is" without removing any components OR lifting any pin leads??  A new LOD could be used for an iPod headphone amp, buffer caps if needed for the 2V offset to home audio setup etc. while leaving the original Headphone Jack intact for listening while mowing the lawn and the 30 Pin jack intact for charging and/or visiting a friend who has a standard iPod docking station.. When in a DOC or using the headphone jack the two "unused" Dircect Out pins are "floating" and shouldn't have any effect on the other "out" methods, correct?

My audio theory could be wrong but if there is NO LOAD on the Headphone jack OR the 30 pin connector where the pins normally connect to a doc how could it effect the sound of a Direct Out Line when those components are basically not really in the circuit, unless they're going to ground from the DAC output,  they're floating, there's no load terminating those points? No load, no current draw, no electrons flowing as we need to complete the circle for that to happen in those circuits.

Does this sound plausible or am I missing something? I haven't looked at a schematic if there is one available.

Thanks……..

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #3,090 of 3,220
HELLO:

I have been reading about this whole IMOD with the classic IPOD. I am just wondering by time you spend the money for the RED WINE conversion and their cable plus amplifier. Why not get the SONY PHA-1A ( http://www.sony-asia.com/product/pha-1a) , which has a amp and a great DAC, and call it a day? Is the IMOD better than that? With the SOny your bypassing the old APPLE set up and your gaining a amp. I am just wondering. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back