The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Nov 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #2,836 of 3,220
What is the sound quality of this mod in a 4th gen click wheel (just use some Elna caps for example) compared to some desktop DACs like the ODAC or Modi? Does anyone prefer their diyMod compared to a dedicated desktop DAC, or is this trying to get the best portable setup possible?

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #2,837 of 3,220

Hi,

As Im in the UK too. Can you please let me know it these caps are in the right size?
What are other options we can find in the UK?

Ill get the cable you linked above too. In terms of a LOD connector, where do you get the ones I see that are big and can accommodate also the caps inside?

Thanks

Im thinking i could order us some from mouser in the US and we could split the postage and import charges?

Let me know what you think.

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2,838 of 3,220
it has to be mouser US? I think there is  a uk one too. 
Is it a US specific item or the price?

I can order some things from the states and get them personally around 5th of Jan back to the UK (London).

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #2,840 of 3,220
  I think its a US specific item as the on the UK mouser site the shipping cost is £12 and takes 11 weeks!

Can you post a list of items needed from the US site to check?

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #2,842 of 3,220
Wow tgis thing is really small!!! It is crazy how small the connections are!!!

Im getting too old i think!

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #2,844 of 3,220
Others are more informed than me, but I thibk this is one of the recommended

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2,845 of 3,220
What type of soldering iron do you use? Any Uk link?
What temperature? the dock connection is extremely small! I can't believe how DIYer here do it without experience in components like that...

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2,846 of 3,220
I use a Weller WLC100, with a specific small tip that I got at a local electronics shop (called Altex, in the US).

I got my degree in Electrical Engineering, so I had a bit of practice at school doing soldering.  Also made it easier for me to understand the HPF built into the 3G mod.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #2,847 of 3,220
This is a great thread which I have read from start to finish, thanks to all who have contributed!

I have one question, it may have been answered already but I didn't spot it:-

On the logic board, which soldering points are closest to the dock pins, i.e. closest in terms of signal transfer?

I am trying to pick the ones that are closest to the dock connector to get the best possible signal without actually soldering to the pins directly. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #2,848 of 3,220
This is a great thread which I have read from start to finish, thanks to all who have contributed!

I have one question, it may have been answered already but I didn't spot it:-

On the logic board, which soldering points are closest to the dock pins, i.e. closest in terms of signal transfer?

I am trying to pick the ones that are closest to the dock connector to get the best possible signal without actually soldering to the pins directly. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

If you want the cleanest sound then fly your wires from the dac directly to the pins (pins lifted off board), completely bypassing the board after the DAC. Don't be intimidated by working on the pins. Just get a dead board and practice, with help from those pics showing how to do it by the fellow head-fi'ers. I was also intimidated initially as I had no prior experience with soldering, and I even failed my first attempt killing the board. But that's part of the DIY, and killing a board is nothing compared to the eventual reward and satisfaction.

Just make sure you get some decent tools, especially a decent solder iron station. You will need a very fine iron tip (I prefer 0.2mm) to work on the soldering.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #2,849 of 3,220
Thanks I did actually try to go direct to pins but just couldnt do it! In the end I went for the 2 tiny pads nearest the dock.

It went well and sounds great!

I did initially install Nichicon ES caps but then removed them when I found out that my amp (fiio e12) already has caps in it to block any dc from source.

It sounds very resolving and a bit too bright on certain tracks (with Senn IE80). I have ordered Elna Silmic II caps to see if they smooth out the sound a little. I've got space to fit them inside as I am also using Tarkans iflash adaptor.

Ill report back on how it sounds with the silmics.

Would love to hear from anyone else using diymod with Fiio E12 and IE80 and which caps you are using for best results?

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,850 of 3,220
Well if it's bright with the IE80, then it must be bright badly. :) I had IE80 and that iem's are pretty warm and laidback to my ears. The brightness may also have something to do with your amp. I like neutral amp and iem's, that way I know better the sound quality from the dap, which is considered by myself the most important piece of the puzzle. Of course, if the recording itself is bad there is nothing much you can do about it regardless of the gear. That's my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back