The apple apparently didn't fall far from the tree
Jun 30, 2006 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
OK...what is it about some people that they just don't get the most simple and basic things?

I was at a soccer game for my son the other night...he's 4, and has only this year figured out that he needs to kick the ball in the other team's net
biggrin.gif
. The soccer field is at a public elementary school, and there is a huge play-scape area not far from the field. While my son plays soccer, my daughter usually goes over there and plays for a few minutes.

As I'm watching the game, I suddenly hear fireworks. Sure enough, there are three kids lighting off fireworks over in the play area. I walk over and say something to these kids...something like "hey...you need to get those fireworks out of here". Nothing over the top, but making it clear that they need to get the hell out of a playground area with fireworks.

Well, it took about 10 seconds for the parents to arrive on the scene. I expected that they might be unhappy about what was going on. To my surprise, they were upset with me for having the temerity to tell their kids not to shoot off fireworks (illegal, btw...) on a PLAYGROUND (MAJOR LEAGUE illegal...) with LITTLE KIDS around!! Apparently they were perfectly fine with this.

Sometimes I just don't understand what the hell people are thinking about.

As you can imagine, I was a bit dumbstruck by this encounter. I responded that maybe what I should have done was just call the police and let them (the parents) yell at them (the cops) instead. I suppose it didn't help matters when I asked what kind of dumbass thinks it's OK to let their kids shoot off fireworks on a playground.
rolleyes.gif

So, after that all calmed down (and some of the kids had learned some new and colorful words), they did eventually leave. Turns out the parents were there watching their younger kids play soccer, which made for some awkward moments. Thankfully they were on the other team (I'm an assistant coach on my son's team)...that would have been REALLY awkward.

A truer example of "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" has never been witnessed by this man.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
Wow, didn't think that people could be that dumb.. Shoulda shot a firework at them or something.
evil_smiley.gif

The only thing you can do is take some solice in the fact that they're all walking Darwin awards just waiting to happen.

It's a shame to involve the police in something that should be common sense, but it's probably the safest thing.
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 47
Idiots... I hope they "naturally-select" themselves right out of the gene pool.

Jun 30, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 47
The most scary part??? Those parents have driver's licenses
eek.gif
!

Fireworks should only be done under Rabbinical supervision...no wait, that's Kosher food
icon10.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 47
It just amazes me the lack of common sense most kids have. I'm 16, and most of my friends just are not able to see how stupid or obvious so many of their actions can be. It's truly incredible.

And all of these kids doing illegal things (smoking, drinking, etc.) amazes me too. And how their parents are aware, and still don't do anything. I feel so blessed to have the family that I do.

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 47
Here's a question for an american in the know. What exactly are the laws surrounding fireworks in the US? In Canada we can only buy fireworks for two occasions...Victoria Day and Canada Day. Can you buy fireworks whenever you'd like in the US?

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 47
There are certain kinds of fireworks (e.g. sparklers, smoke bombs, etc) that are legal pretty much all the time. The exploding variety (which these knuckleheads were firing off) are illegal in most states in the US, regardless of what time of year.

Jun 30, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 47
Work for the public school system & you will encounter one of these types about 5 times a day!! Simpy amazing they are
confused.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Unfortunately these kids will have kids with even less respect or intelligence.

Ya need a license to raise a dog but not a child?

Mitch

Nono, that's all wrong. You just need a license to own a dog not raise it.
icon10.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 47
Stupid people should be spayed & neutered. Cant tell you how many dumb-arse parents I see in the course of the week.

unfortunately you cant (legally) kill someone for being a neglegent or stupid parent.

On a more positive note... My kid started his first soccer practice this week too
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
He's 3.5.

Fireworks are illegal in my area too... both selling and using them.
Garrett

Jul 1, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
There are certain kinds of fireworks (e.g. sparklers, smoke bombs, etc) that are legal pretty much all the time. The exploding variety (which these knuckleheads were firing off) are illegal in most states in the US, regardless of what time of year.

The funny part of that is that it's legal to buy exploding fireworks in many states. It's just illegal to set them off
confused.gif
Here in NY, we go to PA for our illegal fireworks.
icon10.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 47
I have teacher friends and they have the most amazing stories to tell. One elementary school kid was caught spying over his neighbour during exam. His teacher wanted to see his parents -- turned out that the teacher had difficulty making an appointment through the father's secretary.

OK, at long last the father came, in business suits looking respectable. And guess what he said? "It is the school's fault in allowing the kids opportunity for cheating -- why didn't you set the kids further apart, for example? You can't blame a child for not being able to resist temptations. It may be bad from your point of view but not mine."

And then there are all these fighting/bullying cases: the parents of one child always blame the other child for starting the trouble; and the parents of both children always have something to blame the school.

The problems with modern parents is that they're way too smart, and way too protective for their spawn. To hell with all these prissy child psychologists -- THE ONLY WAY TO RAISE A CHILD IS THROUGH TOUGH DISCLIPINE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back