The apple apparently didn't fall far from the tree
Jul 1, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #16 of 47
Perhaps it should be "the apple never rots far from the tree"

beatkid4.jpg

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #17 of 47
In NYC there are electronic signs on every highway that say "Transport Fireworks...Lose Your Car".
All though it should deter bringing in fireworks from down south and the midwest...I feel that's a bit extreme. They need to mail every licensed driver the new rules as they change otherwise it causes anarchy and confusion.

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #18 of 47
Ugh, (certain) parents are the worse. They refuse to take responsibility for their childs action, and then project their faults onto other people.

C'mon natural selection...

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #19 of 47
While I wholeheartedly agree with this statement:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
THE ONLY WAY TO RAISE A CHILD IS THROUGH TOUGH DISCLIPINE.

what distresses me a heck of a lot more are the parents that mistake violence towards their kids for discipline. There is a big difference between discipline and abuse.

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but Duggeh, I know that image was posted tongue in cheek, but I find it offensive.

In the past I've done some volunteer work with kids, and the stories I've heard would make your blood boil. Those are the parents that I would really like to take out back and shoot...

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich1122
While I wholeheartedly agree with this statement:

what distresses me a heck of a lot more are the parents that mistake violence towards their kids for discipline. There is a big difference between discipline and abuse.

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but Duggeh, I know that image was posted tongue in cheek, but I find it offensive.

In the past I've done some volunteer work with kids, and the stories I've heard would make your blood boil. Those are the parents that I would really like to take out back and shoot...

Yeah, second everything there. There's such a thing as mental abuse too, just adding on and not correcting, but I always thought "Spare the rod and spoil the child" to not mean to beat your kids, but rather use the shepherd's rod to _guide_ your kids. I'm not religious in any way, but I always thought that one line was on the list of top 10 misinterpreted phrases.

But anyway, umm yeah, not a nice image. Hope it was just tongue-in-cheek.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
In NYC there are electronic signs on every highway that say "Transport Fireworks...Lose Your Car".
All though it should deter bringing in fireworks from down south and the midwest...I feel that's a bit extreme. They need to mail every licensed driver the new rules as they change otherwise it causes anarchy and confusion.

They should, but then it'd reduce the number of cars they'd have at the next public auction.

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #23 of 47
Disclipine is entirely different from violence; indeed disclipine does not require physical violence at all if done right (although, according to said prissy child psychologists, this constitue "mental violence" -- they must think that love makes the world go round and everybody lives happily everafter)

Disclipine is about setting unyielding rules and bottom lines: no ifs or buts, if you break the rule you'll earn Dad and Mom's disapproval, and have your perks taken away. Nowadays many parents are unwilling or unable to set firm rules, and all too many children have mastered the art of manipulating a rubber-spinned parent. Hence, what we're seeing is a shift of parental responsbility to schools and law enforcement -- but see what happens when schools try to right a wrong.

Even law enforcers have to meet the wrath of parents who consider their spawn the pearls of heaven -- the parents team up with the media, yelling "DISCRIMINATION !!", "UNFAIR TREATMENT !!" "POLICE ABUSE !!". Tell me, what hope do we have.

Jul 1, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
Disclipine is entirely different from violence; indeed disclipine does not require physical violence at all if done right (although, according to said prissy child psychologists, this constitue "mental violence" -- they must think that love makes the world go round and everybody lives happily everafter)

Disclipine is about setting unyielding rules and bottom lines: no ifs or buts, if you break the rule you'll earn Dad and Mom's disapproval, and have your perks taken away. Nowadays many parents are unwilling or unable to set firm rules, and all too many children have mastered the art of manipulating a rubber-spinned parent. Hence, what we're seeing is a shift of parental responsbility to schools and law enforcement -- but see what happens when schools try to right a wrong.

Even law enforcers have to meet the wrath of parents who consider their spawn the pearls of heaven -- the parents team up with the media, yelling "DISCRIMINATION !!", "UNFAIR TREATMENT !!" "POLICE ABUSE !!". Tell me, what hope do we have.

Not a whole lot, I fear.

Between the lazy-@ss parents that don't care enough about their kids to discipline them, and the sick-@ss parents that get their jollies from beating the crap out of their kids, its no wonder that psychology is a booming business.

BTW FalconP - Well said, well said

Jul 1, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #26 of 47
This incident reminds me of that King of the Hill where the new neighbor kid keeps riding on Hank's lawn. Hank takes the kids bike away to teach him a lesson only to have the kid's parents call the cops on him. I swear, parenting classes should be mandatory. Too many dumb parents out there.

Jul 1, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #27 of 47
being a parent does not automatically make stupid people smart. dumb people have dumb kids. why get upset?

i'm more concerned when i hear calls for some kind of test to prove worthiness for reproduction. believe me, we don't want that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics
it's a small price to pay for having dumb people in the world.

Jul 1, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
So the consensus is If you displine your child you're abusing them?

We're doomed.

Mitch

No, I don't think you read what we were saying. Discipline and abuse are different things. Discipline means just that. It does not mean physical and mental abuse. If these two words have the same meaning for you, then I feel badly for you.

Jul 1, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #30 of 47
I take it that reason is what is assumed a "Shepard's rod" implies, anything else by some measure can and will be construed as abuse.

The problem is that the kinder gentler approach makes an assumption that everyone and at all times, and at every age are going to be reasonable logical people. Sometimes this is just not the case.

What do you do with a guide rod when you find yourself with someone who either is 5 years old or 50 years old who just is completely unreasonable and will not reason with you?

Walk away? Walk away from 5 year old in a store. That is abuse as well. Restrain them, today that can be considered abuse. In todays world any discipline is considered abuse of some type. Personal liberty is considered license to do anything any time without any consideration for anyone. Assuming someone should exhibited personal responsibility and restraint is considered imposing your morality on someone and this is considered inappropriate. Welcome to the world that celibrates diversity and expects this diversity to be accepted by everyone. Except of course for those who are completely unreasonable, everyone else must except them for their diverse opinions. The villian in this picture is the one observing the irrational behavior who thinks that that behavior is inappropriate. This is also an example of the loss of "common sense". Common sense is dead in a society or culture where there is no common sense of morality or behavior.

What is one to do today when you find yourself confronted with anyone who is completely unreasonable at any age?

I would love to think that a guide rod is always the only thing that is necessary but practically I don't think this is the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Yeah, second everything there. There's such a thing as mental abuse too, just adding on and not correcting, but I always thought "Spare the rod and spoil the child" to not mean to beat your kids, but rather use the shepherd's rod to _guide_ your kids. I'm not religious in any way, but I always thought that one line was on the list of top 10 misinterpreted phrases.

But anyway, umm yeah, not a nice image. Hope it was just tongue-in-cheek.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back