The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Feb 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #346 of 529
Quote:
I listened to a few tracks this morning with my entry level psb speakers to compare the inputs on the zodiac+ fed by squeezbox touch. To my ears, the differences between coaxial and optical were very slight to the point that they were hardly noticeable, or may be due to placebo.

The coaxial input with WW silver starlight cable sounded a bit more clear and crisp with greater bass impact, compared to optical with WW supernova 6 which was a bit more smoother and natural (less digital) sounding. Also, the volume of center of the stage for coaxial seemed a bit louder, while the volume across the stage, left to right, for optical seemed more balanced and I could here the ambient sounds a bit more clearly on opitcal. The observed differences were very slight and they may be due more to the difference in cable (sliver starlight versus super nova) than the difference between inputs, or due to placebo.

One difference that was clear for me was when I compared USB directly input from computer versus coaxial input via Audio-gd digital interface, which was connected to computer by USB. The sound stage was noticeably taller and wider with DI in the chain, and I preferred it over using USB directly. 

Agreed on your staging comments between coax & optical, I hear it the same.  I use the coax output on my Pure i20 dock and like it a bit more than USB coming out of my Mac Mini.  I think I might have to get an AGD DI too, or a Hiface maybe.

Quote:
What's the best way to demo a Zodiac Gold w/ Voltikus? I'm located in NYC.

I don't know of any dealers in the area.  Your best bet is to contact Marcel, Antelope's rep for the US and see what he can work out.  The best way to reach him is phone, I think I still have it so PM me if you want his number. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #347 of 529
Hi,

New gold + voltikus owner here.
extremely  happy with it, upgraded from a benchmark dac1 hdr

I've got 2 questions.
- is there a way to dim/disable the white led ? Its kinda anoying when it blinks when there's no data
- Did anyone tried to see if you can update the firmware ? I get some error connecting. I just wanted to see if there were newer firmwares available (they might have led dim functionality).

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #348 of 529
Hey gekkekoe
about your questions:

- is there a way to dim/disable the white led ? Its kinda anoying when it blinks when there's no data. There is a way to dim it from the software control panel. No option to disable it.
- Did anyone tried to see if you can update the firmware ? I get some error connecting. I just wanted to see if there were newer firmwares available (they might have led dim functionality). Yes indeed, the error is due to our updates on our server. The next following days a new server will be taking care of all the updates, plus a new panel and some new firmware will be released also!

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #351 of 529
So I downloaded the new update programme. Apparently there is a LED dim function in it. I was on a low firmware I guess. Updated to 1.1 and now the dim function works (didn't work on old firmware)

But, the volume is SUPER DUPER high after update.
Before the firmware update the lowest volume was 0 and I always had it at 0 or 5.
But 0 or 5 now is super loud. I had to dial it down to -55.

Is this normal ??? I did change anything only updated the firmware.

The antelope gold is connected through a set of XLR interlinks with the amp.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #353 of 529
That's odd, Using my old firmware The lowest was 0. and only could dial up.
After firmware update this behaviour has changed.

Oh and I see it's trimmable now. from 8db -> 26db, with 22 db as default.
But odd that the volume adjustment changed with the firmware update. 

So you it's normal to have attenuation at -55. The manual indeed states levels of -60 - 0. 
I had an very old firmware I guess? I bought this as demo from a store.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #355 of 529
Ah I found it, Yes adjusted it now as %.

so If you have it set as % and update the firmware it will be reset to db.
But the amount apparently isn't converted and the volume will be super high.

So it's something to keep in mind.

Very happy with the dimmed Led!

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #356 of 529
Been doing some more experiments.
I've connected my amp through the XLR. The antelope is used as pre-amp.
According to the manual you can dial the pods to adjust the analog output volume.
I've tried to dial them but the result isn't noticeable. My volume -60 or 0% isn't "muted".
Is there away to have 0 associated with muted? I'm using the % representation and can only use 0-20 else it's quite loud.

[edit]
It apparently takes 25 turns clockwise to set it at minimum.
I've set it at minimum now and 0 level is almost muted. Much better this way.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #360 of 529
I never thought Norah Jones was well recorded and mostly got flat details on her albums till today, tried Feels Like Home on the Zodiac and I can actually hear some of the space and positioning and layering in the studio.

Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back