The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #301 of 529
The Zodiac+ is really impressing me. It makes sense that Igor calls it 'Acoustically focused clocking'. It's so accurate, detailed, extended & neutral yet really musical IMO.  I usually love big bass and enjoy color however I want nothing more from this precise signature.

I went all out on the amp too and bought a Leben cs300XS. Ouch.  Should arrive in a couple of weeks, I follow up then.
This will be my setup:

Laptop/vista/Foobar2000-> Axis usb cable-> Sonicweld diverter 24/96 -> Blackcat Veloce SPDIF (Stereovox)-> Zodiac+-> TWag interconnects-> Leben CS300XS ->LCD-2's (saphirePro recable).
I might have to change my underpants.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #302 of 529

danne said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here is a video with it, seems to be using a burr brown dac chip.
Videos, images, audio files, manuals for Antelope Audio Zodiac - Audiofanzine

It also seems to be using the same clocks as their trinity product thats priced 3795 euro, so I guess this thing wont be very cheap.
Still would be very intressting to see how this does as an all in one product.

Is it common that people use external clocks for listening?

Now I understand more about it, It's very useful.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #303 of 529
Im sure most people that follow the Antelope dacs have seen this but Srajan's review is final for the Zodiac Gold + Voltikus. 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antelope2/1.html

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #304 of 529
Quote:
Im sure most people that follow the Antelope dacs have seen this but Srajan's review is final for the Zodiac Gold + Voltikus. 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antelope2/1.html

Cool, haven't read that one yet. I wonder how much audible difference there would be between the Voltikus and say the Welborne you guys are using.

Noticed on the Antelope website yesterday that they have the page back up for the base model Zodiac. Hopefully it won't be much longer.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #305 of 529
From the review:

"Versus the Burson HA160D which since its arrival has displaced my Weiss DAC2 as chief digital code breaker, the Plus had seemed a bit lightweight and pale - heavy on resolution sophistication, lighter on meaty substance and fully developed colors. I'd silently concluded that Burson's proven analog competency overpowered Antelope's proprietary digital wizardry when it came to a compelling musical experience."

"Burson Audio HA160D vs. Gold/Voltikus: Now the Antelope converter was the Aussie's equal on low-down grunt, mass and welly. This also meant that black levels and tone density were matched."

Interesting...

The thing I hate about 6moons reviews is that I find, at times, it's hard to comprehend what, if anything, they are actually saying about the product. It's hard to tell if in the end he was marginally impressed or if it knocked his socks off.

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #306 of 529
Apr 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #308 of 529

Quote:
"Jitter-free performance even with optical connections"? I've never heard of these guys, but those kinds of statements don't get my respect.

Nor does 20' of dig cable not making a difference as stated by computer audiophile that always seems behind the times. Reclocking can remove all jitter but it can't remove all jitter induced problems. They just manifest as an altered stream. You can get fabulous isolated reclocking, BB chips and USB from a young DAC and better reclocking, seperate boards, supplies, BB ladder dacs, discrete filters and outputs on the Naim DAC but no USB. Guess what, you can still hear cable types and differences on them. Any maker that says no differences due to reclocking is either not on top of things or has a reclocking circuit that covers it's tracks at the expense of info. You also don't want your clocks outboard if you can help it. It's a poor solution. A do over would be better.

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #309 of 529
[size=small]…headsup - 6moons just reviewed antelope running on battery power. compare was between red wine audio black lightning, voltikus and stock power supplies.  BL was winner for analog sound http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine13/1.html - kent[/size]

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #311 of 529
[size=small]…headsup - 6moons just reviewed antelope running on battery power. compare was between red wine audio black lightning, voltikus and stock power supplies.  BL was winner for analog sound http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine13/1.html - kent[/size]

Nice from his descriptions looks like I will be sticking with the Voltikus once I get the gold.

Been in contact with Chris at RSPE Audio Solutions, Los Angeles, who just informed me that the base model Zodiac will be available in about 4-5 weeks.

:D

Nice, I assume you will be one of the first head-fiers to rock the silver model? Will be interesting to hear your thoughts, I have not heard the base model myself but know someone who has :wink:.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #315 of 529
I've been travelling for the past week but I finally got home to listen to my Zodiac today.  

Congratulations!

I would have one as well if the timing was sooner on the release. But I ended up with the Anedio so no regrets at least. It would really be interesting to compare the two. At the $1295 deal price they're peers price-wise and I assume audio quality-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back